The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do Bangladeshis hate Pakistanis?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KKKKatie
there are two seperate mosques on the same road in my town, one for bengalis and one for pakistanis because apparently they can't go to the same one

I find that weird as well. I've been inside the "Bengali" one as well, and I know a Sheikh that used to pray there (From South Africa), before he moved out of the town
Original post by Brutal Honesty
There's a Nigerian mosque near me and they do the sermon in Yoruba but the prayer itself is held in Arabic.

The local mosque service sermon is mainly done in Urdu, and I still have no idea about what they're on about
Original post by sachinisgod
Well i dont know about bangladesh. But bengali youth in uk would rather hang out and associate themselves with Pakistanis rather than Indians. Ironically it was the indians helped them out in forming a new country and getting independence. Maybe religion always has 1st priority.

just my experience.

India saw gain in liberating Bangladesh because it wud destabilise pakistan and break it into two. The per capita income of bangladesh became much lower as the country now had to survive on its own. And India didnt like the fact that it was surrounded by east and west pakistan. I wudnt say most bangladeshis gained much from independance apart from not being forced to learn Urdu. I dont even kno what problem they had with speaking Urdu cos most people in south Asia had to learn it so they could communicate with people from other regions.:tongue:

Anyway atrocities against bangladesh happened more than 40 years ago, so the younger generation wudnt be emotionally attached to it.
(edited 12 years ago)
TBH, i would be lying if i said your wrong, i actually feel the same about pakistani people and their stereotypical mentality.
Original post by nmudz_009
India saw gain in liberating Bangladesh because it wud destabilise pakistan and break it into two. The per capita income of bangladesh became much lower as the country now had to survive on its own. And India didnt like the fact that it was surrounded by east and west pakistan. I wudnt say most bangladeshis gained much from independance apart from not being forced to learn Urdu.

Anyway atrocities against bangladesh happened more than 40 years ago, so the younger generation wudnt be emotionally attached to it.

Bangladesh certainly benefited a great deal from being liberated from Pakistan. The Pakistani government did not care about the people in East Pakistan which was highlighted by their lack of response to the cyclone which displaced millions and killed scores in Bangladesh. This triggered the move for independence by Bangladesh, and then the Pakistani military responded with extreme brutality towards Bengalis. India only joined in a few weeks before the end of the war. If you look at the Bangladeshi government today it's in far better shape than the Pakistani one. Women's rights are also far better in Bangladesh. Bengali people I know would be mortified at the thought of rejoining Pakistan and we'd most likely see Bengalis in the UK fly back to Bangladesh to draw arms against Pakistan and fight for independence again if it were to happen.
Original post by nmudz_009
India saw gain in liberating Bangladesh because it wud destabilise pakistan and break it into two. The per capita income of bangladesh became much lower as the country now had to survive on its own. And India didnt like the fact that it was surrounded by east and west pakistan. I wudnt say most bangladeshis gained much from independance apart from not being forced to learn Urdu.

Would you say its the same between Pakistani's and Indians. Since Pakistan and India have fought battles and also the dispute between who owns Kashmir.

Or do you think this rivalry is far more intensive and won't improve even when the next generations takeover?
Reply 26
there are two seperate mosques on the same road in my town, one for bengalis and one for pakistanis because apparently they can't go to the same one

What's the reason they can't pray together? I've prayed in a Pakistani dominated mosque with no problems at all
Reply 27
Original post by Golden_Boy786
TBH, i would be lying if i said your wrong, i actually feel the same about pakistani people and their stereotypical mentality.

Yes, of course 187 million Pakistanis have the same "stereotypical mentality". :rolleyes: Would you actually care to elaborate on this stereotypical mentality?
Original post by lonely14
Yes, of course 187 million Pakistanis have the same "stereotypical mentality". :rolleyes: Would you actually care to elaborate on this stereotypical mentality?

What's ironic is a Pakistani complaining that all Pakistanis have the same mentality. It's a self-defeating argument.
Reply 29
I'm british pakistani too and I feel the exact same way, though I would say I strongly dislike it, hate it just too strong a word lol.
I was reading about this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_Bangladesh_atrocities in which a genocide was carried out against Bangladeshis by Pakistanis in 1971. 3m Bengalis were systematically wiped out and 200,000 Bengali women were raped by the Pakistani army. In the UK there doesn't seem to be much animosty against Pakistanis from the Bangladeshi community. Have they forgiven them? It was only in 1971 so a lot of the Bengali immigrants in the UK would have fled/grown up in Bangladesh during this period.

No, the Bengalis and Pakistanis in my community are very close although the older generations do generally seem to harbour ill feelings when it comes to Pakistanis (naturally of course).

And you may want to revise that figure, neutral historians put it around 300,000 usually and even the Bengalis recently admitted that they had grossly overstated it.
Original post by lonely14

Im from an asian background. Its not that i hate Pakistan and the people. :s-smilie:
I was reading about this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1971_Bangladesh_atrocities in which a genocide was carried out against Bangladeshis by Pakistanis in 1971. 3m Bengalis were systematically wiped out and 200,000 Bengali women were raped by the Pakistani army. In the UK there doesn't seem to be much animosty against Pakistanis from the Bangladeshi community. Have they forgiven them? It was only in 1971 so a lot of the Bengali immigrants in the UK would have fled/grown up in Bangladesh during this period.

why should we divide ourselves and hate each other over stupid crappy decisions leaders made back then?
In my experience we get along just fine, i would even marry a Bengali.
Original post by AkaJetson
Either way Bangladesh is ****ed in the next 50 years because about 1/5th of their country will be underwater and it's one of the most densely populated countries in the world.

It's about the size of Britain and with 2.5 times the population. Fertility rates have drastically reduced however and the people who will be affected by the rise in sea levels are a relatively small share of the population. Currently Bangladesh appears to be coping quite well actually, their middle class is expanding rapidly and they're increasingly using solar/tidal energy to their benefit. A few tactically placed dams/barriers would also help with the whole flooding problem.
I'm Bengali- and to be honest, I don't judge someone on their ethnicity, even Pakistanis.I want to get to know them first, partly because I haven't really met many pakistanis, only about 2...and honestly speaking-they haven't left the best impression on me. One of them was embarrassed of her heritage and the other was an extremist.

I don't hate you guys, no- that would be prejudiced, but I'll admit that I've been warned about pakistanis every time something bad around you happens- it's the truth.
Original post by AkaJetson
Either way Bangladesh is ****ed in the next 50 years because about 1/5th of their country will be underwater and it's one of the most densely populated countries in the world.

Sorry, but Pakistan is already pretty messed up even more that Bangladesh, I hopefully- pray for it's government to get some sense into it.
I have Bengali Friends and i am a Pakistani .. All i know is that they love Fish and Rice :biggrin::biggrin:
Bangladesh certainly benefited a great deal from being liberated from Pakistan. The Pakistani government did not care about the people in East Pakistan which was highlighted by their lack of response to the cyclone which displaced millions and killed scores in Bangladesh. This triggered the move for independence by Bangladesh, and then the Pakistani military responded with extreme brutality towards Bengalis. India only joined in a few weeks before the end of the war. If you look at the Bangladeshi government today it's in far better shape than the Pakistani one. Women's rights are also far better in Bangladesh. Bengali people I know would be mortified at the thought of rejoining Pakistan and we'd most likely see Bengalis in the UK fly back to Bangladesh to draw arms against Pakistan and fight for independence again if it were to happen.

Pakistan's response to floods in its own country was really very slow, so Pakistan hasnt exactly been tending to its own citzens properly either. That doesnt mean Khyber-pakhtunkhwa should go ahead and form a new country. Brutality towards Bangladeshis was not on going, it only started after bangladesh declared war. Who gave india the right to interfere anyway? But anyway without India's help- the east pakistani army would have been given a good dusting and subdued. Per Capita GP is still less than pakistan even though Bangladesh has a higher population. The poverty and literacy rate is above and below pakistan's respectively, so in what way has bangladesh benefited?

Fly back to fight for independance? No I don't think so
Reply 38
this might sound stupid, but i thought the religious ceremonys were held in arabic?

nop, when they're talking to each other it's usually in their own language e.g urdu/english for pakistanis and that.
in terms of prayers, they're held in arabic.
Original post by Golden_Boy786
Would you say its the same between Pakistani's and Indians. Since Pakistan and India have fought battles and also the dispute between who owns Kashmir.

Or do you think this rivalry is far more intensive and won't improve even when the next generations takeover?

There have been soo many political issues between India and pakistan and some are still ongoing. Water, electricity, nuclear power, and some are ongoing such as terrorism and the kashmir issue. Whenever a terrorist attack occurs- pakistan is blamed.

On the other hand most pakistanis see bangladeshi's as their brothers because they're muslim. The difference in majority religion just amplifies differences that come from the political issues tbh. Governments fight and quarrel and that hate filters down to the people. The people wont understand much of the politics that actually goes on, so the amniosity between ordinary indians and pakistanis comes from the fact that they have different religions. But when there is no politics involved and they live together in the same country like the UK, then most south asians get along quite well in most situations.

Latest

Trending

Trending