The Student Room Group

Who would win in streetfight: Manny Pacquiao or Chris Robshaw?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by py0alb
I already explained the mechanics of the situation in detail. I'm 8 inches taller than Manny Pacquiao. If I put my hand on his chest, he wouldn't be able to reach my face. He almost certainly wouldn't even be able to hit me in the stomach.

I've actually genuinely been in that situation before, some guy swinging away at me while I held him at arm's length. It was pretty ****ing funny.

You are falling into a common trap in confrontation preparation - you are only considering your options, not your opponent's. It is easy to convince yourself that you have a single perfect line of attack and dismiss all the trivial responses from your opponent, and you forget that your opponent is competent as well.

What I am saying is that if you hold Manny at arms length with your parm on his chest, he will break your elbow. Regardless of any other point you have made, if you expect him to reach this stage then just flail wildly you are already destined to lose your fight.
Reply 61
Original post by Bobifier
You are falling into a common trap in confrontation preparation - you are only considering your options, not your opponent's. It is easy to convince yourself that you have a single perfect line of attack and dismiss all the trivial responses from your opponent, and you forget that your opponent is competent as well.

What I am saying is that if you hold Manny at arms length with your parm on his chest, he will break your elbow. Regardless of any other point you have made, if you expect him to reach this stage then just flail wildly you are already destined to lose your fight.

How would be break my elbow exactly? By punching it while I just stood there? That's a good one.
Original post by py0alb
I already explained the mechanics of the situation in detail. I'm 8 inches taller than Manny Pacquiao. If I put my hand on his chest, he wouldn't be able to reach my face. He almost certainly wouldn't even be able to hit me in the stomach.

I've actually genuinely been in that situation before, some guy swinging away at me while I held him at arm's length. It was pretty ****ing funny.

Comparing Manny Pacquiao to 'some guy swinging away'....

:facepalm2: x 1000000000

Assuming a world boxing champion will stand still in a fight while letting you put your hand on his chest....

were you dropped on the head as a baby? just wondering
Reply 63
Original post by Einheri
What do you mean "MMA trained"? Because I find it hard to believe that somone with even two years of regularly training wrestling/Judo, BJJ and boxing/muay thai would have trouble with some drunk.

That's EXACTLY what I mean by cognitive dissonance. You find it hard to believe because you don't want to believe it. Anyone who has actually seen, or been in a real life fight finds it entirely believeable.

Look, you keep telling yourself that all your training is useful and beneficial and whatever. You obviously enjoy it, and that's all that matters. Just don't start a fight with that big drunk bloke in the pub because you might get the same nasty shock that previous MMA fighters have before you. (You sound just like them tbh)
Reply 64
Manny.
Original post by Einheri
A trained fighter will almost always win against an untrained fighter. A rugby tackle is not the same as a double-leg takedown and a rugby player is not a wrestler. Pacquiao would win no problem.
I don't think this is right. Although Pac is a trained fighter he's trained in a very specific way, as a boxer, he doesn't all his fighting standing up punching. I have no doubt that if they decided to stand and exchange blows Pac would win, but I seriously doubt he's going to look at him and think that would be a smart move. I think he would just try and take him to the floor, from there I can't see any argument of how Pac would win, he's giving a away a massive amount of weight, no reason why he would be any better at ground work than Robshaw. The only way I can see Pac winning is if he either can't get him on the floor, something he's spend most of his life training to do, or Pac can end the fight or at least stop him with 1 or 2 punch on the way in which I don't think would happen.
Floyd Mayweather would jump in and beat them both.
Original post by Bobifier

Thank you.
Reply 68
Original post by Einheri
A trained fighter will almost always win against an untrained fighter. A rugby tackle is not the same as a double-leg takedown and a rugby player is not a wrestler. Pacquiao would win no problem.

I am sure Chris Robshaw will have taken much harder hits in a rugby game that Manny Pacquiao could deliver, what happens when Robshaw grabs him and slams Pacquiao into a concrete floor? This is a street fight and Pacquiao would have no chance.
Reply 69
Original post by py0alb
That's EXACTLY what I mean by cognitive dissonance. You find it hard to believe because you don't want to believe it. Anyone who has actually seen, or been in a real life fight finds it entirely believeable.

Look, you keep telling yourself that all your training is useful and beneficial and whatever. You obviously enjoy it, and that's all that matters. Just don't start a fight with that big drunk bloke in the pub because you might get the same nasty shock that previous MMA fighters have before you. (You sound just like them tbh)

Someone training 10-12 hours a week for two years versus someone who has never learnt to do anything more than swing a haymaker in a few drunken brawls. You don't see how that doesn't add up? Unless you mean your friend got sucker-punched in which case, uh, yeah, you hit someone when they aren't prepared (and with a pint glass as you said) and they going to be injured, but that isn't a fight that's getting hit out of nowhere.
Reply 70
Original post by internet tough guy
Comparing Manny Pacquiao to 'some guy swinging away'....

Assuming a world boxing champion will stand still in a fight while letting you put your hand on his chest....

I'm just pointing out the rather obvious details. There is a reason that reach is such an important concept in boxing. If you can't reach your opponent you have a serious disadvantage.

It's not like people can move their chests laterally particularly quickly is it? Or do you not understand that either? Do you actually even watch boxing?

We've already established that once someone like Robshaw managed to grab hold of Pacquaio's jacket or whatever, the fight would be over. Do you deny that statement?

We've also established that there would be no way that Pacquiao could get within striking distance of Robshaw without him being able to grab something - be it a sleeve, a lapel or whatever. Or do you deny that?

So the only question is whether a 10 stone guy could knock out a 17 stone guy (who is used to receiving monster hits) only a daily basis in the time it took the 17 stone guy to pull him off his feet. I say, not a chance.
Reply 71
Original post by Einheri
Someone training 10-12 hours a week for two years versus someone who has never learnt to do anything more than swing a haymaker in a few drunken brawls. You don't see how that doesn't add up? Unless you mean your friend got sucker-punched in which case, uh, yeah, you hit someone when they aren't prepared (and with a pint glass as you said) and they going to be injured, but that isn't a fight that's getting hit out of nowhere.

Because a) they are much bigger and stronger, and b) they are used to real life fighting as opposed to MMA play fighting. What part of that don't you understand?

Training only goes so far. All the technical training in the world won't compensate for a 50% advantage in size and strength.
Seriously guys, Chris Robshaw is a 250lbs ATHLETE, Manny pacquaio is 144lbs. No matter how much boxing skills Pac posses, he isn't equipped for a street fight, he wouldn't stand a chance of grappling even if he knew how to with a man over 100lbs heavier than him, Manny would struggle to reach Robshaws chin with height and reach disadvantage. Robshaw could literally jump on him and lift his feet off the ground, and pac would crumble to the floor in seconds.

Plus even if pac did hit him, bigger people have better punch resistance
Reply 73
I don't know who'd win, but the number of people saying Chris Robshaw is quite surprising. I definitely think it'd be a lot closer than some people are making it out to be. Pacquiao is not only a professional boxer, he's one of the best. I agree that if Robshaw got him to the ground, Pacquiao's probably lost, but it'd be a big task in itself just to get him there, even for a rugby player. A boxer's footwork and balance is phenomenal - he's not going to stand there and get charged down.

The other point made was that Pacquiao doesn't have the reach to even be able to punch Robshaw and if he got close enough, he'd just get grabbed. Again, i doubt it's that clear cut. Pacquiao is quick - REALLY quick. He could probably put away a combo before Robshaw could react. I don't know know where the fight would go from there, either Pacquiao's punches are enough to daze/hurt Robshaw (which is probably more likely tbh) or Robshaw can take a few hits and manage to grab him.
Meh, I could take them both on easily :wink: I would just startle them with my politeness :cool:
Reply 75
Original post by Einheri

Watch Fedor Emilianenko vs Hong Man Choi. Hong Man choi is over 7feet tall but a very average kickboxer with no grappling skills. Fedor is six feet tall and an excellent Judoka, Sambist and kickboxer. Unskilled size and strength more often than not loses. A 5ft girl vs a man is not really a valid comparison as I'm assuming you're not talking about a woman who is a pro fighter - if you were asking Ronda Rousey, Miesha Tate or Cyborg Santos against Sebastian Chabal I'd put my money on the women (pro MMA fighters). We're not talking about some hobbyist fighter here we're talking about a world class professional fighter vs someone who is not.

1) That is an environment with rules. When the big guy takes the small guy down in that situation he is limited. When Robshaw would take Manny down he would be kneeing the **** out of his balls and absolutely pounding his face in.
2) Manny is not a world class grappler etc and to get within punching range he would be within grabbing range.
3) I think the 'a rugby tackle is not a double leg takedown' comment has become your signature comment. The problem with this, again, is that it is a street fight. Robshaw would be able to grab Manny as he grabs bigger, stronger and people with far more momentum on a very regular basis.
Reply 76
Really random question...

Manny would win. Easily.
Reply 77
Original post by Mufasaa
Really random question...

Manny would win. Easily.

Why?
Reply 78
Original post by Mess.
Why?

Speed. Manny's insanely quick and could easily hit Robshaw, Robshaw is probably (never seen him fight, but he's not the quickest rugby player) far more lumbering and would struggle to even make meaningful contact with Manny.
Reply 79
Original post by Mufasaa
Speed. Manny's insanely quick and could easily hit Robshaw, Robshaw is probably (never seen him fight, but he's not the quickest rugby player) far more lumbering and would struggle to even make meaningful contact with Manny.

Speed with 10 stone behind it can only do so much against a person who stops people 15 stone+ moving at top speed on a very regular basis. Robshaw has taken far harder hits than Manny would be able to throw. Manny also does not have much of a reach in comparison to a guy who has a foot and 100lbs on him. Robshaw is trained in getting hold of people far stronger than Manny and people who are also very quick and agile, once he gets near Manny he would tear him to shreds.

I understand the technical brilliance of Manny as well as his abilities in a boxing field but fighting against someone that massive in a completely no-holds barred fight with absolutely zero rules will have an effect.

Quick Reply