Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Reclaiming possibly unfair VAT charge on package

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if this is the right place, but it is kind of a money issue.

I'm studying abroad in the US and I recently sent myself home a package of my winter clothes I don't want to have to stuff into an already overfull suitcase, but were quite expensive so I wanted to keep. Every single item in the package was purchased in the United Kingdom, and thus every item had already had VAT paid on it. I swear I marked the package as a gift in order to avoid any sort of tax from 'importing' my own property, but the package has just arrived in the UK and has a £40 VAT charge to pay otherwise it's going to be sent back to me in the US.

Is there any way we could pay the VAT charge in order to prevent the package being sent back to me, and wasting a good £60 worth of postage fees, and then reclaim the money back? I'm not sure I have receipts for the items, because they were all purchased so long ago. Anyone know anyone I could complain to, try to re-log the package as a gift, or point out I already paid the VAT on the products in the first place?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by likethepaint)
    Anyone know anyone I could complain to, try to re-log the package as a gift, or point out I already paid the VAT on the products in the first place?
    You shouldn't have marked the package as a gift. You can send belongings home in such a manner, however, you should have a customs declaration marked 'Personal belongings'. See the following:
    www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/sending.htm
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/...procedures.htm

Receipts aren't neccessarily required -see form C3 on this page -
    http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...HMCE_CL_000308

How do you know they are demanding payment of VAT? Did the demand not have any contact details? If there is a contact number on the demand for VAT, phone them immediately and explain the situation (or get someone in the UK to do it on your behalf). If there were no contact details on the demand (which I'm guessing is the case) then there is contact information on one of the above links under the heading 'Getting more help and advice'.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 29, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.