Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Slightly awkward question...

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014

I know this might sound odd, but can anyone help me to understand what's going on here? (I'm female by the way)

I was sat in class today, and at one point the teacher was talking about the reproductive organs and how fertilization occurs etc. Now at this point I started to feel really dizzy. My head starting buzzing and the sound of my teachers voice seemed really far away. I was absolutely covered in sweat and when I put my hand on my forehead I was freezing. It took until the next lesson to completely wear off, and I could barely hold my pen to write.

Now the awkward part is, I think I have some sort of problem with the topic we were discussing. The same thing happened a few years ago when we learnt the same thing, but I thought it was just me being childish. It seems to be the same symptoms other people have when they see blood, but for me its just this particular topic.

I know this sounds really stupid, but I'm dreading my next lesson because I just know it will happen again and I don't want to faint.
    Does anyone know of any way I can try and overcome this, or anything I can do to try and stop it getting too bad?

Thanks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Skive next lesson.

Avoid that topic for the rest of your life.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    try reading up on it on the internet now to "acclimatise" yourself to it? see if you still have the same reaction?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You should watch this film called Teeth.

(Original post by Bellissima)
    try reading up on it on the internet now to "acclimatise" yourself to it? see if you still have the same reaction?
    It seems fine reading up on it really. I'm not sure if I was overheating during the lesson which may have contributed to it, it just seems a really odd thing to me to feel like because I'm not squeamish at all. :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you feel like that, you are fairly likely to faint. Speak with your teacher before your next lesson and make sure you can leave the room if you start to feel like that. Apart from that, have a good meal before and that should help too.

(Original post by Piprod01)
    If you feel like that, you are fairly likely to faint. Speak with your teacher before your next lesson and make sure you can leave the room if you start to feel like that. Apart from that, have a good meal before and that should help too.
    I'll try that, thanks.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to get this in science but when talking about anything blood related, inside bodies. I am the sort of person who does not like looking at blood or hearing about diseases, even going to hospitals. I used to not eat breakfast and not eat until I came home from school so I figured it was a combination of not haven eaten and not liking the subject that made me feel like I was going to faint. My friends told me I looked pale after lessons a couple of times and I had to change my eating habits and always bring water.
    The only time I have ever actually fainted (due to over heating myself when I had the flu) it felt exactly the same.

(Original post by MissBlueskys)
    I used to get this in science but talking about anything blood related, inside bodies. I am the sort of person who does not looking at blood or hearing about diseases. I used to not eat breakfast and not eat until I came home from school so I figured it was a combination of not haven eaten and not likely the subject that made me feel like I was going to faint. My friends told me I looked pale after lessons a couple of times and I had to change my eating habits and always bring water.
    The only time I have ever actually fainted (due to over heating myself when I had the flu) it felt exactly the same.
    At least I'm not the only one! I'll definitely keep a bottle of water handy. None of my friends seemed to notice that I was feeling unwell though, but maybe they were too busy concentrating on the lesson! I always eat breakfast though, which confuses me even more. Oh well... at least I won't be on the topic for long.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It seems fine reading up on it really. I'm not sure if I was overheating during the lesson which may have contributed to it, it just seems a really odd thing to me to feel like because I'm not squeamish at all. :confused:
    Don't worry, this is quite common. I know several people who have had this reaction. It happened to a friend of mine when people started talking about drugs. The symptoms sound just like something that is purely psychological. Many people get this when others talk about blood or something else gruesome or anatomical. It often seems so bad because of the body's natural physical state of panic (dizziness and sweating usually) as a result of such an unsual psycholigical reaction, especially if you feel "trapped" in the closed environment of a classroom.

Knowing that your body has the potential to react to these things and not trying not to worry is half the battle. I would tell your teacher about it so that you feel more secure knowing you can get away if necessary. Becoming used to the subject by exposing yourself to it more also helps.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    At least I'm not the only one! I'll definitely keep a bottle of water handy. None of my friends seemed to notice that I was feeling unwell though, but maybe they were too busy concentrating on the lesson! I always eat breakfast though, which confuses me even more. Oh well... at least I won't be on the topic for long.
    I only remember it in one lesson and it seemed to stop the next year when we moved classrooms. My friend took a while to notice but it was good to have someone just checking.
    Hmm, is it just the topic that makes you feel that way? Or could it be overheating?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're probably just uncomfortable with those types of things. Make sure your blood sugar isn't low, you have lots of water and you're not too hot during the lesson.

And don't be ashamed -- I passed out in a CPR course... we were only doing CPR on dummies!

(Original post by MissBlueskys)
    I only remember it in one lesson and it seemed to stop the next year when we moved classrooms. My friend took a while to notice but it was good to have someone just checking.
    Hmm, is it just the topic that makes you feel that way? Or could it be overheating?
    Probably a combination of both. I'll try not wearing a jumper next time (stupid to wear one in this heat anyway ) and see where that gets me.

(Original post by JPDub)
    You're probably just uncomfortable with those types of things. Make sure your blood sugar isn't low, you have lots of water and you're not too hot during the lesson.

And don't be ashamed -- I passed out in a CPR course... we were only doing CPR on dummies!
    Thanks for the advice! I'll try those out

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 29, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.