The Student Room Group

Nottingham Medicine? and more...

I am currently looking at Nottingham uni for studying medicine and I'm not getting a straight response to a question on entry requirements. It says you need A at GCSE for Physics, Chemistry, Biology and double science. B in GCSE English lang and Maths. I got A* in physics, A in Chemistry, B in Biology, A in science core, A in additional science, A in maths, A in English lang and am currently getting AAAB in my AS grades. A in biology, A in chemistry, A in maths and B in physics? would an A in A level Biology not suffice for the B in GCSE biology?

Any responses would be appreciated, I am also looking at Brighton and Sussex, Southhampton, Edinburgh and UCL :smile:
Original post by MrMeep2580
I am currently looking at Nottingham uni for studying medicine and I'm not getting a straight response to a question on entry requirements. It says you need A at GCSE for Physics, Chemistry, Biology and double science. B in GCSE English lang and Maths. I got A* in physics, A in Chemistry, B in Biology, A in science core, A in additional science, A in maths, A in English lang and am currently getting AAAB in my AS grades. A in biology, A in chemistry, A in maths and B in physics? would an A in A level Biology not suffice for the B in GCSE biology?

Any responses would be appreciated, I am also looking at Brighton and Sussex, Southhampton, Edinburgh and UCL :smile:

You're only gonna get a proper answer if you email the admissions tutor. Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
I did Email them but they're only giving me entry requirements and not actual answers to my question :L
I did Email them but they're only giving me entry requirements and not actual answers to my question :L

That was probably the answer then... I mean I'm obviously not an admissions tutor but the entry requirements are usually the minimum you need to get :/ your best bet is to ring up, that way you'll get a definite answer. :smile:
Reply 4
hold on, why have you done Chemistry, Biology, Physics AND Additional Science at GCSE? I thought you either did double or triple science?
Reply 5
I think their minimum entry requirements are pretty strict.
As for your A level bio making up for your Gcses, I expect the gcse requirements are set out to judge how well you performed and managed your studies at gcse, it is probably not to do with the level knowledge picked up ( eg. someone with a B in A2 knows more biology than an A* gcse student).

I'm sure there were a few med schools who only asked for a B when I applied. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by twelve
hold on, why have you done Chemistry, Biology, Physics AND Additional Science at GCSE? I thought you either did double or triple science?

At my school we did core, additional, bio, chem and physics
Reply 7
At my school we did core, additional, bio, chem and physics

So you have 5 GCSE's in science? That seems odd to me - I'd email the universities and ask them which ones they'd count. Because if they count the triple science you haven't met the GCSE requirements, but if they only use your additional science grades, you would meet the requirements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending