Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'PS4' and 'xBox 720' to restrict used games?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Okay, with the Wii U announced, the console rumour mill is kicking in again, with the PS4 (so far called Playstation Orbis) and xBox 720 rumoured to be coming in the next couple of years.

As a gamer I'm pretty excited, but there could be a sting in the tail: no more used games. The 720 is rumoured to be stopping used games working at all, while the PS4 may 'limit' the game play experience (no real idea what it could be, possibly no multiplayer, or time limit on campaign?).

So, anyone got an opinion on this? Personally, I couldn't be more against this idea. While it may help developers, I reckon it's going to hurt a lot of gamers: I can't afford £40+ for a new game, and even big titles a few years old can go for £20 or more.

btw, for anyone interested, source:

http://www.slashgear.com/playstation...ames-29220577/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    xbox 4pi sounds cooler.

Im a PC gamer, so i pirate anything that isnt competetive multiplayer, which i obviously buy as there is no choice. Im pretty sure there will be a work around available a few months after release if this is the case, someone will prolly modify the OS to enable used games to be played.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lubus)
    xbox 4pi sounds cooler.

Im a PC gamer, so i pirate anything that isnt competetive multiplayer, which i obviously buy as there is no choice. Im pretty sure there will be a work around available a few months after release if this is the case, someone will prolly modify the OS to enable used games to be played.
    Gotta admit, with this awful news plus Steam and other online distribution models makes me consider PC gaming once again. Hopefully others will follow suit and the console makers will realise that they can't bully people like this.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Gotta admit, with this awful news plus Steam and other online distribution models makes me consider PC gaming once again. Hopefully others will follow suit and the console makers will realise that they can't bully people like this.
    But it sounds to me like these rumours are pointing to a Steam like system on consoles. If this news is awful, how come your fine with the fact that the PC is already that way? Loads of games are tied to Steam making preowned games impossible.

Admittedly one way to look at is that one of the advantages of console gaming is the fact that you can buy pre-owned, borrow games, etc. So if you can no longer do that, you might as well switch to PC gaming.

Personally, I hope it's not true. I don't buy many preowned games, but my concern is that it means you'll lose all your games when they shut the servers off.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    ****ing greedy bastards.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    But it sounds to me like these rumours are pointing to a Steam like system on consoles. If this news is awful, how come your fine with the fact that the PC is already that way? Loads of games are tied to Steam making preowned games impossible.

Admittedly one way to look at is that one of the advantages of console gaming is the fact that you can buy pre-owned, borrow games, etc. So if you can no longer do that, you might as well switch to PC gaming.

Personally, I hope it's not true. I don't buy many preowned games, but my concern is that it means you'll lose all your games when they shut the servers off.
    Steam is cheap as chips compared to console games. I can't see there being a competitive online market on consoles, so, as it is now, they'll remain well over priced.

I also agree with your other two points.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Steam is cheap as chips compared to console games. I can't see there being a competitive online market on consoles, so, as it is now, they'll remain well over priced.

I also agree with your other two points.
    True, the DD prices on consoles are pretty bad. You'd think they'd try to be competitive with physical retail, but they're not at all. They're almost always more expensive.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm happy with my Wii and PS2, these new consoles won't be much different
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Simple, I won't be buying a console at all then.

I paid for a game, therefore, it's mine. I can do whatever the hell I want with it.
    Imagine if they did this with cars?!
    Not only can I not re-sell games, I wouldn't be able to take them over to friends houses either.

I have a PS3 and a Wii, and while a PS3 is cool for single player, some of my best memories were social gatherings involving people bringing wii party games over and a crate of beers...

digressing a bit here but since when was it acceptable to have a multiplayer game that was only online?! If I want to play a game, they have to be at their house with PS3 and copy of the game?! (I'm looking at you SSX!)

Screw that! And the restriction of used games! people don't like being screwed over like this. And They won't stand for it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I heard that the new Xbox would either play games straight from an SD card or would be available to download on to the console.

If the SD card rumour is true, wtf is wrong with discs? I'd rather have the disc than an SD card. And how will this stop used gaming? People can just sell the SDs online? :confused: :facepalm2:

I suppose it will sort of 'imprint' itself on the console that it is first used on, and wont play on any other. :rolleyes:

If they are going via the download route, even more :facepalm2:

Broadband speeds on average are piss poor for most of the UK, who is honestly going to wait to download a full game, something like the next Elder Scrolls, bound to be colossal in size. :facepalm2:

To be honest, they are just being *****. They already charge extortionate amounts for games that usually aren't worth the price at launch.

Hopefully they will just keep the way we game the same, but improve on console quality.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr.Messy)
    I heard that the new Xbox would either play games straight from an SD card or would be available to download on to the console.

If the SD card rumour is true, wtf is wrong with discs? I'd rather have the disc than an SD card. And how will this stop used gaming? People can just sell the SDs online? :confused: :facepalm2:

I suppose it will sort of 'imprint' itself on the console that it is first used on, and wont play on any other. :rolleyes:
    My guess is that it would work like some games on Steam work. Your ability to play the game is based on it being unlocked on your account, whether you downloaded it or installed it from a disc. Putting the game on an SD card would be nothing more than a way of getting the data onto your console, completely equivalent to downloading it.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    My guess is that it would work like some games on Steam work. Your ability to play the game is based on it being unlocked on your account, whether you downloaded it or installed it from a disc. Putting the game on an SD card would be nothing more than a way of getting the data onto your console, completely equivalent to downloading it.
    It could just run off the SD card too, kinda like what Vita does now. Also, they have the potential for much quicker load times so more time can be spent playing the game (Skyrim, I'm looking at you :unimpressed:).
    But I would miss the discs and the artwork on them. Ah well, we can look forward to a future where we pay £60 for a console game again.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahjongmagic)
    It could just run off the SD card too, kinda like what Vita does now. Also, they have the potential for much quicker load times so more time can be spent playing the game (Skyrim, I'm looking at you :unimpressed:).
    But I would miss the discs and the artwork on them. Ah well, we can look forward to a future where we pay £60 for a console game again.
    Yeah, they would probably run directly off an SD card too. But it would still be equivalent to having it on the hard disk.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConnorB)
    I have a PS3 and a Wii, and while a PS3 is cool for single player, some of my best memories were social gatherings involving people bringing wii party games over and a crate of beers...

digressing a bit here but since when was it acceptable to have a multiplayer game that was only online?! If I want to play a game, they have to be at their house with PS3 and copy of the game?! (I'm looking at you SSX!)
    That's why I haven't bought SSX. I enjoyed the original but, after seeing Need For Speed and Burnout having split screen taken away from the series, I've decided not to purchase any racing games that do not offer split screen as a matter of principle. I mentioned this in the GAME thread. And I'm getting tired of the excuses from companies not using split screen trying to hide behind their superior knowledge involved with gaming. If an engine can't deal with split screen very well then it can't be very good. It would help if gamers just decided not to buy titles that don't offer split screen then publishers and developers will change according to consumer demand.

The use of split screen has helped me buy new titles because sometimes demos are not enough to know if I'd like the game if I'm unable to borrow a copy, especially if online features are important. It's handy on shooters too when I can show a friend some good spots for various gaming points, such as good places for claymores to be placed or where to hide when calling in a controlled aerial killstreak. It's a bit difficult to do that via a headset when playing over the Internet in separate locations when the map doesn't use co-ordinates, for example.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This would piss me off if it came to consoles, but doesn't bother me that I've been doing the exact same on PC for years...Haha, double standard. Steam is cheap as hell though (All GTA games ever made for a fiver case in point) also I suppose PCs aren't particularly social anyway, I've never found myself saying "Yo man bring some beers round and you can watch me play World Of Warcraft" It would be a big blow not being able to take games to my friends house however.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am all for the idea.
    Not only did Devs get screwed over, but it meant that too many spoilt brats bought vast amount of games without any thought which fuelled the hideous amount of shovel-ware that game out this generation.
    If this forces people to be more careful with what they buy, then hopefully we will see an end to **** games breaking release sales records and for some innovation to break through.

(Original post by lubus)
    xbox 4pi sounds cooler.

Don't you care that you play games and don't pay the devs anything? If everyone did what you did, then there would be no games to pirate :facepalm: People like yourself are the reason why this rumour is going around as well as all this ****ty DRM :upyours:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    am i the only person who hates the way modern gaming is going. i dont want steam, kinect or the wii, i hate the fact that many new games have obviously been completely focused on online gameplay and have allowed campaign mode to turn to ****.

i just want to buy a game, play a great campaign/story, use a ****ing controller and be allowed to take it round to my mates house.

**** ME!!!!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would laugh if the new Xbox only used downloadable games and not discs but they did a 4GB hard drive model again...

• 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I do understand the game-makers problem.

A game does not depreciate in value in the same way as many goods. If you use it for a month and slightly damage the disc a bit, it still works for the next person just as much. Whereas electronics like phones, say, slowly stop working as well. There will be a limit to resale.

You currently have a position where the middle-man (places like GAME, etc., although not for much longer with that example) make the money off second-hand games, and the producers are just being shafted.

Think it doesn't effect us?
    Welcome to a Hollywood-style game market. Raise your hand if you've ever complained about how there's all these identical FPS games coming out all the time, before they've had a chance to advance the game in any shape or form.
    If the producers get nervous, then surely this will become the norm. They won't be happy taking the risk of an original game. Because people haven't heard of it before, there won't be the hype that surrounds COD329304, and people will just buy it later on when they can get it cheaper at a second hand price. Because the consumer also doesn't want to take the risk on an original game.

I think the market needs to be adjusted.. We need to take one for the team, and buy new games, and on their side, with the increase of consumption they should lower the prices. Goodbye second hand games.

I have always moaned about people who pirate - but then I realised I was a hypocrite, because I was just as bad with my pile of second hand games.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I doubt that they'll get rid of multiplayer games, a lot of games nowadays only have a single player mode as a practice for online multiplayer.
    Them stopping 2nd hand games wouldn't really bother me, I don't have many 2nd games on PSP or PS3. But I don't like the idea of them stopping you from bringing it round to a friends house to play the game. Or if you buy another console because the first one was wrecked or something.
    If it's linked to a PSN account then, I suppose that can be a way around, but the idea of not being able to use something you've already paid how you wish stinks to me.
    What about renting games, I'm thinking of doing that with after playing some shocking games in recent years.

(Original post by ConnorB)
    ...I have a PS3 and a Wii, and while a PS3 is cool for single player, some of my best memories were social gatherings involving people bringing wii party games over and a crate of beers...

digressing a bit here but since when was it acceptable to have a multiplayer game that was only online?! If I want to play a game, they have to be at their house with PS3 and copy of the game?! (I'm looking at you SSX!) ...
    Spot on mate. It's so annoying not being able to play someone when they come around the gaff. Settle an argument or just waste time.
    These game developers are forgetting what was fun about video games, and why people brought them in the first place.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 2, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.