Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Do you morally agree with pre-marital sex?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: Your verdict
    In favour
    82.92%
    Against
    19.10%

• 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notastampcollector)
    You can't compare a girl with a house. If I was planning to spend as much time inside a girl as I would a house i probably would consider signing some kind of agreement.
    You assume I am talking about a girl? Did I mention "girl" anywhere? My statement works both ways like the person I quoted.
    The person I quoted said "Would you buy a car without a test drive?"
    Again, the person I quoted compared the humans in questions to an object; a car. So why is it that I am not allowed to counter their argument by making a similar comparison?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alofleicester)
    would you sign a contract without inspecting the house first?
    So does "inspecting" a partner have to involve sex?

Why can't you inspect their qualities and whether you'd be happy with your potential partner? It doesn't have to involve sex does it? Maybe spend time with them and see what they're like as a person.

Likewise with a house, would you take a shower while inspecting it?

(On a side note, I'm loving these counter would yous going back and fore XD)
    • 142 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrinningSkull)
    Would you live in a house without signing the lease/contract?
    That's different, the fact of the matter is there's no point marrying someone only to find out that you're not sexually compatible
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    So does "inspecting" a partner have to involve sex?

Why can't you inspect their qualities and whether you'd be happy with your potential partner? It doesn't have to involve sex does it? Maybe spend time with them and see what they're like as a person.

Likewise with a house, would you take a shower while inspecting it?

(On a side note, I'm loving these counter would yous going back and fore XD)
    Well, it doesn't have to, but it's a good idea. How else do you ensure you're sexually compatible with the person you're tying yourself down to?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why do many people feel the need to have an opinion about other people's private lives?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What is the premise by which you stand with respect to your suggestion regarding your use of the word 'moral'? I don't think there are any moralistic confines under any intelligible understanding that place pre-marital sex as immoral.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alofleicester)
    Well, it doesn't have to, but it's a good idea. How else do you ensure you're sexually compatible with the person you're tying yourself down to?
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    That's different, the fact of the matter is there's no point marrying someone only to find out that you're not sexually compatible
    Sexually compatible in what way?

Is the whole point of marriage just for sex when it comes down to it? Or is it more about being happy with someone for the rest of your life?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm for it, as others have mentioned, you want to test before committing. Which is actually a genuine point, because it is important to ensure you are I suppose 'sexually compatible' before committing to being together for a lifetime. It would be awful to get married, and then realise that your partner is rubbish in bed, or just doesn't feel like it should.
    That said, I would still wait until I am married before having any children.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    Yes, if anything you must absolutely compare the market and try before you buy.

Otherwise you risk being stuck in a relationship with someone sexually incompatible.
    so what???
    you can practice together and get better.
    for the long term sex isn't that important its about companionship and loyalty and other things.

(Original post by Multitalented me)
    Would you buy a car without a test drive?
    we are humans not objects anyone who's with you just for the sex is not worth it
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:

Is the whole point of marriage just for sex when it comes down to it? Or is it more about being happy with someone for the rest of your life?
    No, but that's because marriage has no point. If you're living in an exclusive relationship with such a commitment, then it's important to make sure you're on the same page in the boudoir, in terms of your libido, preferences in other styles besides conventional sex etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with other people's decision to do it, but I would personally avoid casual seksual intercourse.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't plan on getting married, so obviously I have no problem with pre-marital sex.

The idea of marriage seems wholly anachronistic, in my opinion.
    • 142 followers

ReputationRep:

How many marriages do you see where they don't have sex at all? It's a major part of most relationships & if your not sexually compatible (i.e men/women are comfortable with different things) then this isn't likely to change
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingsarecool)
    so what???
    you can practice together and get better.
    for the long term sex isn't that important its about companionship and loyalty and other things.
    I disagree. Sex is one of the most important things for both partners in a relationship.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    I disagree. Sex is one of the most important things for both partners in a relationship.
    okay?? so if you were in love with someone and they had all the qualities that you were looking for but you found out that she wasn't sexually compatible would you leave her just because of that???
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingsarecool)
    okay?? so if you were in love with someone and they had all the qualities that you were looking for but you found out that she wasn't sexually compatible would you leave her just because of that???
    You're kidding yourself if you believe that both partners can be happy in a marriage where their sexual desires aren't being satisfied. Pre-marital sex is one of those ways that you can work out whether or not they will be.

Sexual satisfaction, if it can't be found in a marriage, will be found elsewhere.

Why do you think one of the major causes of relationship breakdown is because one or both partners aren't satisfied with the action they are getting in the bedroom?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What has society come to, there's more to life and love than sex. Ya'll should take up Islam and become practicing Muslims if you want to be happy.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't actively promote anyone to casually have sex, but if you are in a serious relationship and want to have sex, I don't see why you shouldn't
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bmqib)
    What has society come to, there's more to life and love than sex. Ya'll should take up Islam and become practicing Muslims if you want to be happy.
    Plenty of Muslims are unhappy precisely because they can't have premarital sex.

Some of them try to kid themselves that they can arrange a temporary Islamic marriage, have it off, divorce, and then it's all OK.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't (personally) see how this is a moral issue. It's not an inherently harmful act and comes down to individuals having the freedom to use their bodies however they wish. If it was something that was inherently harmful, beyond harm to the individuals consenting to it, I could see why some would consider it immoral.

One might argue that pre-marital sex can harm society, but then the question is why should individuals feel obliged to safeguard the interests of the wider population and why such utilitarian concerns trump personal freedom. It's also important to show that pre-marital sex is the issue, not other concerns such as irresponsible attitudes towards contraception and sexual health. It also needs to be shown that changing relationship and sexual attitudes actually cause harm to society rather than just changing it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 6, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.