Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Food and Drink: All-Star ABSURDIN-DINS!

Announcements Posted on
Make a difference in the community and greet new people - join the Welcome Squad! 22-10-2014
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's good to be sensible (now and again). Rein things in. Nobody likes it when you're nuts ALL of the time.

But sometimes, it's good to have a bit of daft, a bit of nonsensical in the food world. Just say "screw it, I'm going to have THIS tonight" - even if none of it "goes" together. Maybe you want to have a Milkshake and a Jar of Pickled Gherkins for breakfast. Maybe you want to eat pizza dipped in chocolate fondant for supper!

Whatever your ABSURDIN-DINS are, post them here, and your following poster will give a rating out of five stars for how ABSURD your foodie choice was!!

STAR RATINGS:

(*) - Tame. I eat this all the time. What's the big deal?
    (**) - Yeah, that's a little bit out-there, but I would try that myself no bother!
    (***) - Wow. That's weird.
    (****) - What the hell is wrong with you?! That's MENTAL! You ATE that?
    (*****) - I cannot fathom ANYTHING more absurd than this. You are brain-damaged or have some sort of vendetta against your body, because I'm serious - this is one of the weirdest things I've ever heard anyone eating.

The only rule? You MUST have eaten it - NO HYPOTHETICALS!!
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    So let me get us started of with one that wasn't MY AbsurDin-Dins, but one my friend used to construct in High School:

He'd buy a cheese savoury sandwich from the pre-made bit, ask for two or three scoops of mash/swede on his otherwise-empty plate/tray, then proceed to pile all the mash onto his cheese sandwich to eat.

WHAT'S THE STAR RATING FOR THIS... ALL STAR ABSURDIN-DINS?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Meh. ** really, its not like a weird sweet savoury mix...

I didn't comment at first because I couldn't think of a gooden but since no one else is starting it, I'll reply!

Scenario:

For dinner, not having much in the house while my mum was away, a tray of flapjacks I'd made, a bowl of Tuna from a tin, ham and cucumber, and more cereal than you can imagine.

Wild I know. I'll try and recall something better in future!
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    *** but only if you ate all that from the same plate.

I have been known to eat chips, gravy and apple sauce for dinner
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ** bit bizarre but I can imagine the appeal!

When I was younger I went through a stage where my favourite dinner was a sandwich comprising layers of egg mayonnaise/hummus, cottage cheese and some Bernard Matthews 'American roast chicken' slices, completely immersed in a bowl of Heinz scotch broth soup and eaten with a knife and fork.

And if it couldn't be made with Tesco's own white bloomer bread then it would not be made at all.

Definitely didn't seem weird at the time.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (* * * *)

Sounds like a totally bizarre version of a French Dipped Sandwich KFJ (Knife and Fork Job), but much more mayonnaisey!!

Nice job on the absurdity!!

I have made "Leftover Sandwiches from some insane things. One notable one:

Breaded Haddock, Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli, and Mashed Potato. Between two slices of thick white bread!
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    ** That sounds weird, but delicious!

Oh I've thought of something else I used to eat... for breakfast every morning before school, I would have two Weetabix and milk heated up in the microwave with a teaspoon of sweetener, then I would have a slice of hot buttered white toast to dip in.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

I was going to say two Weetabix heated in the microwave with sweetener wasn't that weird... and then I read the rest of the sentence.

I once made tinned tuna and spring onion fishcakes, enough for two meals. After making rather a mess of frying them, I didn't dare try again... I put the other half in a bowl, added a layer of cheese, and baked the whole thing.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

Not too odd! Tuna and cheese?

For lunch in primary school, my mum would often give me Princes chicken/beef paste sandwiches which I hate.
    So, to counteract it, I'd put my ready salted crisps in it to change the taste bit of on odd texture I can tell you!!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    1. All the time.

Mine is: Poached Egg, Mashed Potato, Tomato Sauce, Mustard, Bacon, Cheese, Baked Beans, Crisps, Chips all in a wrap with fish sauce and soy sauce and ginger and chilli.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (***).

Seems like a very studenty "Cupboard sandwich" deal to me, though I question if it was more of a dare rather than a genuine "I always have this" deal... nonetheless, a bit out-there!!

Oh, here's another one. My sister prefers to break up her Pop Tarts - untoasted - into a bowl of milk. Same with NutriGrains!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (**)
    Sounds nice actually.

I once made wholemeal pasta with sweet mincemeat (from mince pies), soya beans and almond butter, all together. It was yummy.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    ****!!!!

That's really odd! Ha! Go you

I love the ends of some cereal so much (frosted wheats, frosted shreddies, frosties, shredded wheat), that I will pour the cereal into a bowl/mug and crush it with a rolling pin so its all mushed up
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (*)

Sorry Dani, but that's tame - so many people I know do this on a daily basis for a "Bulking smoothie"!

How about what we used to drink in Uni - "Space Shuttle Fuel" - you take equal parts Cider, Lager, Vodka and Blackcurrant juice in a pint glass, and down that bad boy.
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    *..sounds alright. When I was at Uni the drinks had stuff like Fairy up in them!

My mum makes mash and butter sandwiches, which is ok...until she dips them in cup a soup
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (**) - nothing too mad there, though certainly not commonplace! I personally like both mashwiches and dipping sandwiches into soup - merging the two intrigues.

Speaking of sandwiches, for years my uncle used to have Butter, Ketchup and Salad Cream Sandwiches for his work lunch. He was meticulous about the ratios too; he'd always make sure there was an equal spreading of butter on both slices, then equal ketchup on one slice to salad cream on the other, before combining.
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    (**) - nothing too mad there, though certainly not commonplace! I personally like both mashwiches and dipping sandwiches into soup - merging the two intrigues.

Speaking of sandwiches, for years my uncle used to have Butter, Ketchup and Salad Cream Sandwiches for his work lunch. He was meticulous about the ratios too; he'd always make sure there was an equal spreading of butter on both slices, then equal ketchup on one slice to salad cream on the other, before combining.
    *** - pretty weird. Especially since there's only sauce in there. And the ratios added a star.

I have a friend who eats melted chocolate on pasta.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (***) Okay, that's pretty weird. In the "Spy it, Buy it" thread I noted my local takeaway does a Chocolate and Banana Pizza (not a "dessert pizza", an ACTUAL pizza with chocolate and banana) and I though THAT was a weird Italian Choco-dish, but chocolate pasta?! Is it cooked or raw?!

Here's another of my own personal ones: When at Subway or Burger King with the self-service Cola machines, I never simply get one flavour. I will always try "Coca Bru", or "Fanta Up" or some weird mixture. I like change.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (*) I never get straight diet coke... So much better with a sloosh of fanta.

Salt and vinegar chipsticks dipped into strawberry custard, in a sandwich (white bread, and lots of butter)?
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *custardcream)
    (*) I never get straight diet coke... So much better with a sloosh of fanta.

Salt and vinegar chipsticks dipped into strawberry custard, in a sandwich (white bread, and lots of butter)?
    I was going to give you 3 stars with the custard, but in bread too? ****!

And Toto, it's cooked pasta!

My flatmate at uni had peanut butter on toast..which is, fine..then she added cheese and put it under the grill. A bit odd. And then she topped it with pesto.

How do people think of these things?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 16, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.