Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Funding Scottish Independence

Announcements Posted on
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If Scotland did gain independence, initially I presume that both the debt and revenue would be divvied up, but past this point, would they still be supported financially? It will take years for them to build a strong economy and without financial support there would be no public expenditure... but if they want to become independent, why should 'we' fund them? They would still be part of the UK... so is this why they would still be supported? I'm a tad confused!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nice'n'Easy)
    If Scotland did gain independence, initially I presume that both the debt and revenue would be divvied up, but past this point, would they still be supported financially? It will take years for them to build a strong economy and without financial support there would be no public expenditure... but if they want to become independent, why should 'we' fund them? They would still be part of the UK... so is this why they would still be supported? I'm a tad confused!
    While I'm against Scottish independence it wouldn't be that difficult to fund; Scotland is a first world country and could go independent relatively easily.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    dude stop jamming the system we all ready have scottish threads
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oil is the main one I have heard touted. I am not really sure how they would fund such a large public sector and benefits system once that runs out though given that the UK is having such a hard time.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nice'n'Easy)
    I stopped reading at the emboldened point.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What if Scotland says "errr nah we aren't paying back that debt"
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internetguru)
    What if Scotland says "errr nah we aren't paying back that debt"
    Same as any country that defaults on its loans - they'd become an international pariah.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Same as any country that defaults on its loans - they'd become an international pariah.
    But technically the Scottish government never took out those loans so the liability would still remain with UK government. If two people get divorced any loans will only remain with those that signed up for them.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internetguru)
    But technically the Scottish government never took out those loans so the liability would still remain with UK government. If two people get divorced any loans will only remain with those that signed up for them.
    Liability for such debts would be dealt with in any independence negotiations and transferred to the Scottish Government. They would be liable from the first moment Scotland became a sovereign state.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick100)
    While I'm against Scottish independence it wouldn't be that difficult to fund; Scotland is a first world country and could go independent relatively easily.
    Depends how much the rest of the UK decides to charge Scotland for current services during the 10 year transition period.

And it'd depend how many solders Scotland decides to protect the border/waters.

And how the Scottish economy reacts to any import taxes that are introduced by Westminster.

etc
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Just like Russia
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Oil is the main one I have heard touted. I am not really sure how they would fund such a large public sector and benefits system once that runs out though given that the UK is having such a hard time.
    Surely thats a problem for the Scottish to think about?

It would depend how they setup their benefits system for a start.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 1, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.