Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Panic attack - not good, help me distract myself?

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Started with a bout of sore palpitations (felt heart pounding through chest into head and felt sore/heavy in chest) when I stood up to get a drink, now I am shaky, sweaty (sorry), hot, twitchy etc and unable to sit still, am holding onto edge of sofa with white knuckles ... What to do? Am withdrawing slowly off meds which is helping side effects but withdrawal is tough, phoning GP tommorow but what should I do for tonight? Looking for any help distracting me from it - this is the third time today things have felt panicky
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm not an expert but why don't you listen to some music you like? bake a cake even?! :ahee:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    hey , don't worry, i'm not an expert but this is advise that may help.

1.keep sitting on the sofa, take deep long breaths, keep breathing in.... breathing out... and stay sitting on the sofa.

2 . when you have the strength to get up, go get a glass of water and sip the cool water that may help you.

3 .then get a cloth and wet it and place it on your forehead and just lie on the sofa, you need to get your body temperature down asap.

4. keep taking deep breathes and drinking plenty of water

repeat all these steps for however long it takes you to get your body temperature down and your breathing steady
    oh and if you have a friend who you can phone who can sit next to you and listen to your fears then phone them now

hope this helps
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do something you are familiar with

any favorite movies? Music? TV shows?

nothing scary mind, just a nice chilled out film, a chick flick perhaps...
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Cake is a good idea actually although running severely short in terms of ingredients and time I think, that and I think my mum will flip if I attack the kitchen just now .. however might try that tommorow, need to go get butter from shop first. Music is a good idea
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisydaffodil)
    Started with a bout of sore palpitations (felt heart pounding through chest into head and felt sore/heavy in chest) when I stood up to get a drink, now I am shaky, sweaty (sorry), hot, twitchy etc and unable to sit still, am holding onto edge of sofa with white knuckles ... What to do? Am withdrawing slowly off meds which is helping side effects but withdrawal is tough, phoning GP tommorow but what should I do for tonight? Looking for any help distracting me from it - this is the third time today things have felt panicky
    You could try paradoxical intention. I think I first read about it in 'Man's search for meaning' by Viktor E Frankl. For people struggling to sleep, he recommended trying to stay awake as long as possible. Instead of trying to avoid a panic attack, try to bring one on.

How long have you had panic attacks for?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by advent2)
    You could try paradoxical intention. I think I first read about it in 'Man's search for meaning' by Viktor E Frankl. For people struggling to sleep, he recommended trying to stay awake as long as possible. Instead of trying to avoid a panic attack, try to bring one on.
    I've tried that, it worked once but made it a hell of lot worse another time.

If you've been taught any breathing exercises repeat those; the one I always fall back on is breath in for 2, 4, 6, 8 and out for 2, 4, 6, 8, 10. Surround yourself with safe things, blankets, books, cups of tea, plush toys etc. *brain fails*

Hope you're doing okay

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 31, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.