The Student Room Group

Which university is better?

Poll

Which university is better for MSC in Marketing?

Hello people,

I am torn between the above universities for studying MSC in Marketing at.

I was wondering which one is the best one in terms of university rankings, education, standard of teaching, student support, cultural diversity, accommodation..etc.? Also, which is the better city? I'm not a night-life seeker, just in terms of shopping spots, weather, open spaces, expensiveness, stuff like that.

Thanks a lot in advance.

EDIT: I didn't receive an offer from Sheffield, so it's out now. I'm left with the others.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
People can't really help you unless they know which course you're applying for.
Original post by candy82
Hello people,

I am torn between the above universities. I was wondering which one is the best one in terms of university rankings, education, standard of teaching, student support, cultural diversity, accommodation..etc.? Also, which is the better city? I'm not a night-life seeker, just in terms of shopping spots, weather, open spaces, expensiveness, stuff like that.

Thanks a lot in advance.
I voted university of sheffield, I'm not yet a uni student but I do live there, and I've seen the university campus been to lectures etc... In terms of accommodation, sheffield is one of the cheapest city's to live in, if you compare the price of en suite room at halls in london to sheffield it's around £100+ more. Can't comment on student support or standard of teaching (you can find out this information on the website).

The university is a russel group uni, I'm not sure the other uni's are too. The weather is typically british, lots of parks, peak district close by, sheffield has one of the largest shopping centre's in england (Meadowhall) it has centertainment, which is a sort of retail park, with a huge cineworld and around 15 different resuartants (nando's, flaming dragon, fridays etc)) and also has hollywood bowl. As a city sheffield is very diverse.

Any questions? :smile:
Sheffield and Southampton are both in the Russell Group so they have the best reputation nationally and internationally for their research. Sheffield is right next to the peak district and has the most parkland of any city in the UK. Don't know about Southampton, though it is on the coast :smile: I got the impression when I visited that UEA try to take care of their students fairly well, though I don't know how well they really compare to other places.

All the unis vary a great deal from department to department, though. For example, in the RAE 2008 (most recent) which looks at the quality of research, for Politics, Sheffield came joint first, and Southampton come something like 38th (Behind UEA)
Reply 4
Original post by Craghyrax
People can't really help you unless they know which course you're applying for.

I have included that in the poll question title.
Reply 5
Original post by translucent
I voted university of sheffield, I'm not yet a uni student but I do live there, and I've seen the university campus been to lectures etc... In terms of accommodation, sheffield is one of the cheapest city's to live in, if you compare the price of en suite room at halls in london to sheffield it's around £100+ more. Can't comment on student support or standard of teaching (you can find out this information on the website).

The university is a russel group uni, I'm not sure the other uni's are too. The weather is typically british, lots of parks, peak district close by, sheffield has one of the largest shopping centre's in england (Meadowhall) it has centertainment, which is a sort of retail park, with a huge cineworld and around 15 different resuartants (nando's, flaming dragon, fridays etc)) and also has hollywood bowl. As a city sheffield is very diverse.

Any questions? :smile:

Wow, I didn't know all of this about Sheffield. Thank you so much, this has helped a lot.

Yes, I do have some questions, you said the accommodation is quite cheap, so can you perhaps give an roughly estimate of how much will be needed for living expenses throughout the year? Also, are residence halls in good condition? in terms of space, comfortableness, and so forth.

Also, what about the cultural diversity? Is it a welcoming environment for international students?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. You have no idea how much this helped. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Obfuscator
Sheffield and Southampton are both in the Russell Group so they have the best reputation nationally and internationally for their research. Sheffield is right next to the peak district and has the most parkland of any city in the UK. Don't know about Southampton, though it is on the coast :smile: I got the impression when I visited that UEA try to take care of their students fairly well, though I don't know how well they really compare to other places.

All the unis vary a great deal from department to department, though. For example, in the RAE 2008 (most recent) which looks at the quality of research, for Politics, Sheffield came joint first, and Southampton come something like 38th (Behind UEA)

Yeah, it seemed that both Sheffield and Southampton got the most votes.

I'm actually leaning towards UEA only because I'm a Norwich City fan and because the city seems historically awesome. However, it's a really small city with very little options. And this seems boring. Also, according to rankings, they do come after Sheffield and Southampton, and actually, I'm looking for top notch uni's that will be worth the hassle.

From your reply and transulcent's it seems that Sheffield is a good choice. So thanks so much for your reply. I really appreciate it. :smile:
Original post by candy82
Wow, I didn't know all of this about Sheffield. Thank you so much, this has helped a lot.

Yes, I do have some questions, you said the accommodation is quite cheap, so can you perhaps give an roughly estimate of how much will be needed for living expenses? Also, are residence halls in good condition? in terms of space, comfortableness, and so forth.

Also, what about the cultural diversity? Is it a welcoming environment for international students?

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. You have no idea how much this helped. :smile:

All your questions can be answered here http://www.shef.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation
And, of-course it's a welcoming environment for internationals, the University is diverse and the city itself also is. If you come to visit on open day and take a stroll through the city centre you'll see a whole mix of people.

I can't really give an estimate of living expenses that's something you can only do, I don't know whether you spend £0 on a alcohol, a week or £150 etc. You should consider rent, transport, food, toiletries and books/etc as essentials and what's left as a bonus.

Not sure how much a room cost at University of Sheffield, but at Sheffield hallam (another sheffield uni) you can get a en suite room with free parking for £80 a week, and it was quite pleasant, University of Sheffield halls shouldn't really differ that much in terms of price.

Lower cost of living link :http://www.shef.ac.uk/undergraduate/studentlife/low-cost-of-living

To add, residents will definitely be in good condition, the basic room has a desk, bed, wardrobe, (chest of draws and a sink in some places) comfortableness is subjective, space? there's multiple common rooms in halls of residents.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by candy82
Yeah, it seemed that both Sheffield and Southampton got the most votes.

I'm actually leaning towards UEA only because I'm a Norwich City fan and because the city seems historically awesome. However, it's a really small city with very little options. And this seems boring. Also, according to rankings, they do come after Sheffield and Southampton, and actually, I'm looking for top notch uni's that will be worth the hassle.

From your reply and transulcent's it seems that Sheffield is a good choice. So thanks so much for your reply. I really appreciate it. :smile:

Norwich is a good city, I think. Depending on what you like doing, there's lots of good pubs, and a fair few clubs. The union is also really good at getting some pretty big-name acts for a uni. Don't know if it's different for postgrads but I know a couple of undergrads who are having a great time there.

But if you're looking for the best of the city and the best of the academics, I would say Sheffield still wins. It's a bigger city so there is so much to do, but it doesn't even feel like it's that big or busy or overcrowded (probably because of all the parks)
Reply 9
Original post by candy82
I have included that in the poll question title.

Ah, missed that.
Reply 10
Original post by candy82
Hello people,

I am torn between the above universities for studying MSC in Marketing at.

I was wondering which one is the best one in terms of university rankings, education, standard of teaching, student support, cultural diversity, accommodation..etc.? Also, which is the better city? I'm not a night-life seeker, just in terms of shopping spots, weather, open spaces, expensiveness, stuff like that.

Thanks a lot in advance.

traditionally southampton has been one of the top unis in england. however sheffield is a very up-and-coming uni and is now probably about the same level. visit them and see which one you prefer, i visited sheffield and i absolutely hated it but i have friends who love it!
TBH Marketing is a pretty pointless/worthless degree so it shouldn't matter too much.
Reply 12
Sheffield. It's a RG redbrick.
Reply 13
Original post by coolmushroom
TBH Marketing is a pretty pointless/worthless degree so it shouldn't matter too much.

Yeah? And what course in your respective opinion matters the most? I'm curious to know.

Original post by translucent
All your questions can be answered here http://www.shef.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation
And, of-course it's a welcoming environment for internationals, the University is diverse and the city itself also is. If you come to visit on open day and take a stroll through the city centre you'll see a whole mix of people.

I can't really give an estimate of living expenses that's something you can only do, I don't know whether you spend £0 on a alcohol, a week or £150 etc. You should consider rent, transport, food, toiletries and books/etc as essentials and what's left as a bonus.

Not sure how much a room cost at University of Sheffield, but at Sheffield hallam (another sheffield uni) you can get a en suite room with free parking for £80 a week, and it was quite pleasant, University of Sheffield halls shouldn't really differ that much in terms of price.

Lower cost of living link :http://www.shef.ac.uk/undergraduate/studentlife/low-cost-of-living

To add, residents will definitely be in good condition, the basic room has a desk, bed, wardrobe, (chest of draws and a sink in some places) comfortableness is subjective, space? there's multiple common rooms in halls of residents.

Well, unfortunately, I just received an email from University of Sheffield and they are unable to offer me a place, so that's out of the window. I'm now left with the other 3. Well, now 2, since I only received offers from Lancashire and East Angila. Any opinions on those?

Thank you so much, Translucent for your helpful information. I apologize for wasting your time, however, it's nice knowing more about Sheffield, in case I visit it someday.

Ah, missed that.

That's alright. Well, Ms Craghyrax, since you live in Norwich, care to enlighten me on the city and the university? I hardly know anything about it, but I'm intrigued. :smile:

Original post by Obfuscator
Norwich is a good city, I think. Depending on what you like doing, there's lots of good pubs, and a fair few clubs. The union is also really good at getting some pretty big-name acts for a uni. Don't know if it's different for postgrads but I know a couple of undergrads who are having a great time there.

But if you're looking for the best of the city and the best of the academics, I would say Sheffield still wins. It's a bigger city so there is so much to do, but it doesn't even feel like it's that big or busy or overcrowded (probably because of all the parks)

Well, I don't drink, so pubs aren't much of an enticement for me. I only care about nature, music, films, and shopping spots, and that's it! So if Norwich can be provide me with that on top of a good academic experience, then I'm in! :smile:

Yes, I did hear about East Angila's student union, it seems like a top notch one.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by candy82
That's alright. Well, Mr Craghyrax, since you live in Norwich, care to enlighten me on the city and the university? I hardly know anything about it, but I'm intrigued. :smile:

I'm female :dry:
Norwich is lovely. I don't personally like the University, but everybody else I know does.
Reply 15
just to remind you that RG don't mean quality just size, which in a lot of cases means more students and less teaching.

Cardiff, QUB, Liverpool, QMUL, Newcastle are all RG and they are not good and falling further behind .

Soton and Sheffield are NOT that well known internationally, trust me I'm from the far east. the casual FE person hasn't even heard of them

Not saying that means they are bad but globally famous - er no.

Sheffield is in a derelict, dingy northern city.
Reply 16
I'm female :dry:
Norwich is lovely. I don't personally like the University, but everybody else I know does.

Oh dear, I'm so sorry. My bad! I will edit my post right now.

What don't you like about the universities? And can you mention any cons your friends might have mentioned about it?

Also, do you happen to know how much would I need for living expenses? And can you please tell me more about Norwich, regarding price ranges there, city atmosphere? International students/people overall percentages.

Thanks a lot! :smile:
Original post by candy82

Well, I don't drink, so pubs aren't much of an enticement for me. I only care about nature, music, films, and shopping spots, and that's it! So if Norwich can be provide me with that on top of a good academic experience, then I'm in! :smile:

Yes, I did hear about East Angila's student union, it seems like a top notch one.

Ok well

Nature: Norfolk is basically made of countryside haha, Norwich is pretty much the only city for miles. I think it's possible to do a day trip to the beach, not sure. The campus also has quite a nice big green area with the famous UEA lake. I've been for walks round there a few times, it really is pretty. My friend who studies there (who also loves nature) was showing me how you could, if you were so inclined, walk for miles and miles and miles. I u

Sheffield is, as they so often claim, the greenest city in the UK. And it really is just full of parks and stuff, pretty much every road will have a field or a public garden or whatever, it's really nice. It takes the edge off the fact that it is actually quite a big city: it doesn't feel like it at all because there's grass and trees and flowers everywhere. It's also right next to the Peak District which really is beautiful, and I'm sure a good way to just escape city life every now and then.

Music: As we've already discussed, the UEA union is probably one of the best in the country for booking bands. However, there is the drawback of the fact that it is pretty much the only significant live music venue that I could really think of, and a lot of bands probably won't play it.

Sheffield I don't know a huge amount about. The students' union is strong so I assume they'll put on a few shows. The fact that it's a major city kinda makes it a fixture on any band's UK tours, and I think it's got fairly good connections to the other cities around it (Nottingham, Leeds, Manchester) so it's possible to go to gigs a little further afield if you're keen. The fact that it's a city with a big population will probably mean there's a bigger scene in terms of local bands as well, so more possibilities to get involved if you're into that.

Films: I know very little about either of these. Pretty sure there'll be good cinemas in Norwich and Sheffield. I know that at Sheffield they do put on films slightly after their original release date for a really low price at the SU, and I read in some of their propaganda about a big independent film cinema ('the biggest outside london' no less)

Shopping: I'm gonna say Sheffield will win this one, purely because of it's size. I think there's a really massive (probably the biggest outside London, again :biggrin:) shopping centre there, but also there'll just be loads of shops everywhere to be honest haha. Also because it's up North it's probably a bit cheaper than Norwich, don't know that for sure though.

As you can tell, I kinda love both of them. Sheffield's my firm and UEA's my insurance choice this year haha
Reply 18
Voted for Sheffield & Southampton as have older friends who love them both. But closely followed by UEA because Norwich supposedly has a pub for every day of the year! :ahee:

<3 x
Hi, I'm currently coming to the end of my first year at the Uni of Sheffield. To start with, like people have mentioned, it's a russel group uni so the reputation is going to look pretty good to employers. Southampton is also on a similar level in terms of reputation.
After being a student for about 7 months now in Sheffield, I can tell you the accommodation is awesome. If you apply there, apply for Endcliffe village and make that your priority. All the rooms are fine, but it is the atmosphere and the fact that all the students are grouped together in, as its of course named, a little village. Its clean, modern, and the best accommodation I've actually been to. (I've visited Leeds, Nottingham, Manchester)
You said you weren't big on the night-life but if you are interested, then again, awesome haha. Always a choice of at least 2 places to go to each night, which will both be packed with students. Unions good on a Wednesday and Saturday too.
Overall, I would say I've really enjoyed my experience and so would highly recommend it to you. You need to visit both and decide for yourself, but on reputation alone, they are about level, so really it's just which place you prefer.

Just realised this is in the business and management section, which is what I am studying haha. Course is decent, some hard modules (stats, accounting and finance, economics if you havn't done it before) but all very manageable. I wouldn't consider UEA and Uni of central lancashire as their reputation is much lower than the other two.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending