The Student Room Group

SCLY3 Beliefs in Society June 2012 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Predictions for Wednesday exam for beliefs in society?
(33/18 marker)

:smile:
Reply 21
Can't remember the exact questions that were on the January 2012 paper, but they were about:

(9 marks) - Ethnicity: Cultural defence, transition etc.

(18 marks) - Secularisation/Postmodernism etc. (This was a really general question and you could have brought in a bit of everything)

(33 marks) - Functionalism; New Age

I think something on Science and Ideology, Globalisation or Postmodernism might come up, but at the same time, 'Secularisation' and 'Organisations, Movements and Members' have come up in every paper up until now.
Reply 22
im predicting Marxism, Globalisation, Postmodernism and Gender is going to come up!!
Original post by majij
im predicting Marxism, Globalisation, Postmodernism and Gender is going to come up!!

What do you mean by globalisation - what chapter/topic would that come up as? Sorry for seeming thick but I read that and went what?? :redface:
Reply 24
Original post by scaredofexams
what do you mean by globalisation - what chapter/topic would that come up as? Sorry for seeming thick but i read that and went what?? :redface:

religion in a global context:smile:
I hate the unpredictability of this paper! I'm thinking either a question on religious organisations or gender will come up for the 9 marker, then either postmodernism or science for the 18, then theory and secularisation for the 33.
Assuming Globalisation comes up for an 18/33 marker, what other topics would you include? Could you include theories such as Marxists, Functionalists and Weber? I don't think I could write enough on Globalisation alone! (including cultural defence/fundamentalism)
Seriously, just revise for all the topics.

I thought about picking what topics to revise for in the final 2 days before the Unit 2 (education) exam and I decided to revise all the topics. When the questions came up, You had questions on mostly every topic.

It's just not worth the risk.
Original post by R3cognize
Assuming Globalisation comes up for an 18/33 marker, what other topics would you include? Could you include theories such as Marxists, Functionalists and Weber? I don't think I could write enough on Globalisation alone! (including cultural defence/fundamentalism)

I agree! I would really struggle with Globalisation, and Science too. I want it to be secularisation, a theory and social groups - but that have all come up recently :frown:
My predictions (as a sociology teacher)
Marxism
Postmodernism
science vs religion

Always revise NRMSs, NAMs and religious fundamentalism as these can be used in so many questions!

My website has some revision notes: www.socialsciencetutor.co.uk

Happy revising! :redface:
Original post by Vicki-Marie
Marxism
Postmodernism
science vs religion

Always revise NRMSs, NAMs and religious fundamentalism as these can be used in so many questions!

What other topics can we use if Globalisation comes up!? Marxism, perhaps?
Marxism
Postmodernism
science vs religion

Oh no this is a horrible combination! :frown: I know nothing about science and really don't understand it
Reply 32
Marxism
Postmodernism
science vs religion

Yeah I think maybe the relationship between religion and globalisation may come up and science too.
Reply 33
"Evaluate feminist views on the role and functions of religion in society today"

When answering this past question from June 2010, how would you structure into paragraphs? We didn't really go over past papers in class, and it seems a bit narrow for a 33 marker... To what degree would functionalism and marxism be brought in?
Reply 34
Original post by C3S
"Evaluate feminist views on the role and functions of religion in society today"

When answering this past question from June 2010, how would you structure into paragraphs? We didn't really go over past papers in class, and it seems a bit narrow for a 33 marker... To what degree would functionalism and marxism be brought in?

I had a problem structuring my answers at AS but this year this is what i've been doing:

Paragraph 1:
Point e.g. women are oppressed by religious practice
Explain e.g. menstruating women can't read from the Qur'an
Evaluate e.g. Woodhead says religion doesn't always oppress women - Muslim women believe the Hijab allows them to enter education or work.

that's usually how I set out my revision. As for Marxism/Functionalism you just have to think what are their general opinions about religion in society? e.g Marxists believe religion helps create false class conciousness. Therefore you could say something as simple as Marxists believe it is the working class who are oppressed in society, not women.
Reply 35
Marxism
Postmodernism
science vs religion

Also what my teacher predicted! I really hope Science does come up. I think feminism is pretty likely too.
Reply 36
Original post by R3cognize

You can bring Fundamentalism into Globalisation by saying Globalisation may have led to increased Fundamentalism. For example the changes brought by Globalisation may have led some, such as those in the Middle East, to turn to Fundamentalism.

Globalisation, conflict and fundamentalism can all be linked into one essay.
Original post by iamkeeley
You can bring Fundamentalism into Globalisation by saying Globalisation may have led to increased Fundamentalism. For example the changes brought by Globalisation may have led some, such as those in the Middle East, to turn to Fundamentalism.

Umm Kk Thank You for that! Didnt know you could bring in Globalisation !
I have changed my mind now, after learning about globalisation and religion I think its okay.

This site realy helped me!

http://www.sociologyexchange.co.uk/resources/viewall/16129/
Original post by iamkeeley

Thanks... but I asked if anything else could be included other than Fundamentalism and Cultural Defence. :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending