Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Kanye West Thread

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness. Vote and debate in all of the group finals from now to Saturday evening! 15-07-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mos Def > All
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    New DJ Khaled & Kanye West - Theraflu

The First Single called "Mercy" from G.O.O.D Music album is dropping tonight at 11pm UK time aswell featuring Kanye, Big Sean, Pusha T & 2 Chainz.

http://www.islanddefjam.com/mercy/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Cancel that the G.O.O.D Music single is released at 5am UK time which is midnight New York time.

I was hyped up to hear it for the first time tonight now I have to wait till tommorow to here it :unimpressed:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My favourite artist, the college dropout and MBDTWF are my two favourite albums of all time!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kanyesus

Let's do this! Top 10 Kanye tracks -

All Falls Down
    Spaceship
    Family Business
    Diamonds from Sierra Leone
    Hey Mama
    Gone
    Can't Tell Me Nothing
    Coldest Winter
    Blame Game
    Christian Dior Denim Flow
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amii_G)
    Kanyesus

Let's do this! Top 10 Kanye tracks -

All Falls Down
    Spaceship
    Family Business
    Diamonds from Sierra Leone
    Hey Mama
    Gone
    Can't Tell Me Nothing
    Coldest Winter
    Blame Game
    Christian Dior Denim Flow
    In no particular order:

Never Let Me Down
    Family Business
    Through The Wire
    Slow Jamz
    We Don't Care
    Stronger
    Hey Mama
    Roses
    Coming Home
    Jesus Walks
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Spaceship
    Homecoming
    Flashing Lights
    Late
    Good Life
    Last Call
    Lost in the World
    Paranoid
    Power (remix)
    Gone

to be honest it's impossible. I was looking through his 5 albums to try and decide, and it dawned on me that there is not a single song in his discography that I dislike (bar possibly Pinocchio Story, which hardly counts as a song IMO). I can't think of another artist I can say that about
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love Kanye, think all his albums bar 808s & Heartbreak + watch the throne are classics.

His most underrated song imo.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shabalala)
    This forum needs a thread to the most underrated rapper/musician out there. People just become sheep and believe everything the media tells them about Kanye some of if he brought on himself with the Taylor Swift thing but people don't even give his music a chance but call it **** anyway, Michael Jackson and ElviS were most likley paedophiles and don't get anywhere near the hate he does, Akon threw some kid off stage, Snoop Dogg used to be a pimp, Jay-Z a drug dealer etc... none of them get the hate he does I could go on.
    Jay-Z was never a hardened drug dealer, that's some image he pushed to appeal to more people on his way to the top. I'm sure he's sold a bit of weed here and there but haven't most rappers? He's not the tough guy his fans claim he was.

As for Kanye, how can someone who is constantly being labeled the best and getting played on mainstream radio 24/7 be under-rated? He is over-rated.

(Original post by Shabalala)
    Anyway back to his music his music is epic he has one of the best discography's in Hip-Hop each album has a different feel and all of them are critically aclaimed. If it wasn't for him the likes of Drake, Nicki Minaj, Kid Cudi i.e non gangstar rappers wouldn't exist.
    There were non-Gangster rappers before Kanye (LL Cool J? Outkast? CL Smooth? The Roots?), Hip-Hop actually WAS non-gangster until NWA came on to the scene in the late 80's and changed it all, you are so wrong.

Kanye's albums might be critically acclaimed in pop, but in Hip-Hop they're not. Show me a Kanye album as good as an Illmatic or as influential as a Chronic?

And as for one of the best discographies in Hip-Hop, he's not even close.

2Pac
    Ghostface Killah
    Outkast
    Ice Cube
    The Roots
    Even Nas imo.

And as a unit, Wu-Tang's would blow Kanye's out of the water.

(Original post by ThaChronic)
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
    I know, that got me and all. He's an average rapper and a good but over-rated producer. If I want soul-sampling Hip-Hop, why listen to him when I can listen to Dilla, or Pete Rock?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Jay-Z was never a hardened drug dealer, that's some image he pushed to appeal to more people on his way to the top. I'm sure he's sold a bit of weed here and there but haven't most rappers? He's not the tough guy his fans claim he was.

As for Kanye, how can someone who is constantly being labeled the best and getting played on mainstream radio 24/7 be under-rated? He is over-rated.

There were non-Gangster rappers before Kanye, Hip-Hop WAS non-gangster until NWA came on to the scene in the late 80's and changed it all, you are so wrong.

Kanye's albums might be critically acclaimed in pop, but in Hip-Hop they're not. Show me a Kanye album as good as an Illmatic or as influential as a Chronic?

2Pac
    Ghostface Killah
    Outkast
    Ice Cube
    The Roots
    Even Nas imo.

You can't be serious? Most people agree his first two albums are Hip-Hop classics and he was even hailed as 'Hip-Hop's saviour'.

My beautiful dark twisted fantasy has what, 1 song that could be considered pop, which is All of the lights'. He may not be the best rapper but he is one of the top producers in Hip Hop history imo.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

There were non-Gangster rappers before Kanye (LL Cool J? Outkast? CL Smooth? The Roots?), Hip-Hop actually WAS non-gangster until NWA came on to the scene in the late 80's and changed it all, you are so wrong.

2Pac
    Ghostface Killah
    Outkast
    Ice Cube
    The Roots
    Even Nas imo.

I know, that got me and all. He's an average rapper and a good but over-rated producer. If I want soul-sampling Hip-Hop, why listen to him when I can listen to Dilla, or Pete Rock?

STOOOOP! you cant compare ANYTHING WITH THE ILLMATIC!
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    You can't be serious? Most people agree his first two albums are Hip-Hop classics and he was even hailed as 'Hip-Hop's saviour'.

My beautiful dark twisted fantasy has what, 1 song that could be considered pop, which is All of the lights'. He may not be the best rapper but he is one of the top producers in Hip Hop history imo.
    Define most people? If you go on Amazon and click a Kanye album then look at "what other customers bought" you will see stuff like Rihanna, Lil Wayne, Eminem... do you mean those kind of people who listen to those artists? You won't get many Hip-Hop fans saying Kanye's albums are classics.

None of them are, you're devaluing the word by saying they are. A classic has to, for me, be innovative and influential and stand the test of time. College Dropout has arguably stood the test of time (as has Late Registration), but it wasn't innovative and it's only influential if you think crossover Hip-Pop is a good thing. Producers were doing the same thing he did but better, years before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	slumvillagefantasticvol2-742796.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	140347

"(Jay Dee's) production style has been subtly influencing better-recognized producers for years"

Name:	samples%u002520hhir%20pete%20rock%20cl%20smooth%20mecca%20soul%20brother%20large.jpg 
Size:	64.0 KB 
ID:	140348

Classic, New York golden age Hip-Hop. Pioneering in the Soul Hip-Hop sound. Widely considered to be one of the greatest Hip-Hop albums of all time.

Name:	things_fall_apart-1.jpg 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	140349

90's classic, lyricism and production higher than anything on College Dropout.

Three albums from producers with a similar style that came out before and are more deserving of being called classic than College Dropout.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Define most people? If you go on Amazon and click a Kanye album then look at "what other customers bought" you will see stuff like Rihanna, Lil Wayne, Eminem... do you mean those kind of people who listen to those artists? You won't get many Hip-Hop fans saying Kanye's albums are classics.

None of them are, you're devaluing the word by saying they are. A classic has to, for me, be innovative and influential and stand the test of time. College Dropout has arguably stood the test of time (as has Late Registration), but it wasn't innovative and it's only influential if you think crossover Hip-Pop is a good thing. Producers were doing the same thing he did but better, years before.

Name:	samples%u002520hhir%20pete%20rock%20cl%20smooth%20mecca%20soul%20brother%20large.jpg 

Here's three albums from producers with a similar style that came out before and are more deserving of being called classic than College Dropout.
    What I meant is that I haven't heard anyone say that his first two albums were poor in anyway. You go on any Kanye West video on youtube and there is bound to be multiple comments saying things such as 'I miss the old Kanye' or comparing everything he produced to his first two albums.

They're classics for me anyway... I'll go and listen to the three you have mentioned as well.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan_1)
    What I meant is that I haven't heard anyone say that his first two albums were poor in anyway. You go on any Kanye West video on youtube and there is bound to be multiple comments saying things such as 'I miss the old Kanye' or comparing everything he produced to his first two albums.

They're classics for me anyway... I'll go and listen to the three you have mentioned as well.
    That happens with every artist, they of course will inevitably fall off as they have less to talk about and run out of ideas the longer they are in the music industry. The Sophomore Slump is real. His first two albums are not poor, I liked the first, I hammered it in 2004, it is the soundtrack to a great summer for me. But I'm responding to comments such as "best discography in Hip-Hop" and "his albums are classics", when it is simply not true and it's really unfair on people who have actually helped create and shape Hip-Hop.

Those three albums might be a bit hard to absorb the first time you listen to them but if you give them a chance you won't regret it. Here's a track from each:

Slum Village - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZR0BgcBjUI

Pete Rock & CL Smooth - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiOcVWQY2bc

The Roots - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yEbuT9rpRI
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    this threads cray
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

"(Jay Dee's) production style has been subtly influencing better-recognized producers for years"

Classic, New York golden age Hip-Hop. Pioneering in the Soul Hip-Hop sound. Widely considered to be one of the greatest Hip-Hop albums of all time.

Three albums from producers with a similar style that came out before and are more deserving of being called classic than College Dropout.
    So you can't be classic if someone else did it first? I guess that rules out Pete Rock and J Dilla then since DJ Premier got there first with regards to soul samples?

Nonsense of course. There are few out there that can take vocal samples the way Kanye does and turn them into songs. RZA and J Dilla are the only two I can think of that are as good (or in this case, probably better). Kanye's production style sounds NOTHING like Pete Rock's, whose relies much more on rich instrumental pieces put together to make songs. And I'm leaving the Roots out of this completely because they're completely unique and shouldn't be compared to anyone IMO.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    So you can't be classic if someone else did it first? I guess that rules out Pete Rock and J Dilla then since DJ Premier got there first with regards to soul samples?

Nonsense of course. There are few out there that can take vocal samples the way Kanye does and turn them into songs. RZA and J Dilla are the only two I can think of that are as good (or in this case, probably better). Kanye's production style sounds NOTHING like Pete Rock's, whose relies much more on rich instrumental pieces put together to make songs. And I'm leaving the Roots out of this completely because they're completely unique and shouldn't be compared to anyone IMO.
    He did, but I'm talking about whole albums since the original statement was about Kanye's albums being classics and those were the first three that came to my head which are better, and Dilla and Pete Rock are better than Kanye and have had a bigger impact on Hip-Hop (this cannot be disputed imo), I could have mentioned RZA (my personal favourite producer), but his style is way too different to compare although I did mention the Wu-Tang discog. Pete Rock is just another producer who uses soul/jazz/w/e influence and has made imo, a better album than the College Dropout, so that's why I mentioned him.

Kanye is a good producer, I'm responding to statements like him being under-rated and having the best discog, which are both not true.

And you can ofc (You could call Doggystyle a classic even though the Chronic came before it), but why is College Dropout a classic? Nobody has said why, other than "it just is". w/ regards to "classic" albums, The Chronic for example for me is easily a classic, brought the limelight to the West Coast, pioneering in Gangsta Rap, timeless... I don't see anything like that in the College Dropout other than some of the beats are catchy :confused: Half of it is interludes and most of it is skippable.

You can't just call something a classic because it sounds good or you like it, it has to have something more imo.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Kanye will never go down as an icon in Hip Hop.
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Kanye will never go down as an icon in Hip Hop.
    Agreed, but it's starting to look like I'm slating him for the sake of it, so here's one of my favourite Kanye tracks:

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Well i'm a Hip Hop fan and I think college dropout, late registration and MBDTF are all classics, awkward.. stop trying to force your 90's fanboy opinions

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 15, 2012
New on TSR

Which unis are the poshest?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.