Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Questions about heaven.

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. I was just sitting here watching tv and a thought suddenly crossed my mind.

I know some religious people believe that when they die, they will go to a place called heaven. Now, some people believe that you will be alone with God while others believe that you will be reunited with your families.

Now, for anybody that believes the latter. What do you think happens to widows that remarry?

Lets just say that a women marries a soldier, they both believe they will be reunited when they die. Now, the soldier dies in a battle. The wife if extremely upset, but after a few years she finds love again with another man and ends up getting married to him.

When they are all dead.... who does the wife go to?
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amime)
    Hi guys. I was just sitting here watching tv and a thought suddenly crossed my mind.

I know some religious people believe that when they die, they will go to a place called heaven. Now, some people believe that you will be alone with God while others believe that you will be reunited with your families.

Now, for anybody that believes the latter. What do you think happens to widows that remarry?

Lets just say that a women marries a soldier, they both believe they will be reunited when they die. Now, the soldier dies in a battle. The wife if extremely upset, but after a few years she finds love again with another man and ends up getting married to him.

Ooh interesting. Well since the general consensus is that you can have whatever you want in heaven then presumably the wife would go to whoever she wanted to be with.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Surely what you think will happen matters about as much as what an ant thinks, and what happens in heaven is completely dependent on your specific beliefs?

I think Islam states you'll be with your wives drinking the best wine (which is ironic, considering their stance on alcohol). Christianity states you'll be worshipping God, constantly, non-stop, forever. Jews are similar, but no damnation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nobody is going to be married in Heaven. That is why when one is married, the commitment is 'til death do we part. Marriage is for this age, not the next.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Everyone's guess is as good as another's. That's the problem with getting into a debate on the specifics of imaginary things.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshizzle)
    Ooh interesting. Well since the general consensus is that you can have whatever you want in heaven then presumably the wife would go to whoever she wanted to be with.
    And what if the man the wife didn't pick wants to be with her? Given that anyone can have whatever they want.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okashira)
    Nobody is going to be married in Heaven.
    so, will we be allowed to have love affairs , or at least romantic platonic relationships ?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You don't get married (or remarried) in heaven :facepalm2:
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    Me and my Mum were having this discussion the other day. It's perfectly possibly for someone to love with all their heart, but not be loved back. So the person they want to spend eternity with wouldn't want to spend eternity with them.

Our conversation ended up quite silly, actually, but it is an interesting point.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the problem is that the idea of heaven is already dependant on beleiving a whole load of other stuff as well so commenting on its specific nature is like assuring someone that teleporting will give them a headache when we dont have the knowledge or technology to support it.
    ......but if heaven did exist i'd imagine that it would be individually tailored to fit each persons idea of paradise.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    And what if the man the wife didn't pick wants to be with her? Given that anyone can have whatever they want.
    Hmmm maybe there will be a clone of the guy so the woman can be with him. I'm not religious btw, this is just a complete guess lol.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

Just one possibility. If heaven is real, I hope all the people I've ever loved and admired are up there for a good catch-up. I want to discuss life with Bill Hicks, religion with Jesus and Big Mo, and get smashed off a couple of bottles of red with Hitchens.

I doubt it's going to happen, but it's a nice thought.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A level Az)
    You don't get married (or remarried) in heaven :facepalm2:
    Are you an idiot? Not everybody has the same view of an afterlife as you. This question was specifically for people who believe that you do get reunited with your families when you die.

How about you read my OP again, before you start spouting your OPINION as a factual statement with regards to an afterlife that there is no evidence for.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amime)

amime, you are very fortunate, because Jesus was asked this very question in the Bible. Allow me to quote the passage in full:

That same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question. 24“Teacher,” they said, “Moses told us that if a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and have children for him. 25Now there were seven brothers among us. The first one married and died, and since he had no children, he left his wife to his brother. 26The same thing happened to the second and third brother, right on down to the seventh. 27Finally, the woman died. 28Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?”

29Jesus replied, “You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. 30At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. 31But about the resurrection of the dead—have you not read what God said to you, 32‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.”
    (Matt 22:23-32)
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amime)

Hello Amime,

Many Christians believe what Jesus said:

Matthew 22 (NIV) - I boldened some.

23 That same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question. 24 “Teacher,” they said, “Moses told us that if a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and raise up offspring for him. 25 Now there were seven brothers among us. The first one married and died, and since he had no children, he left his wife to his brother. 26 The same thing happened to the second and third brother, right on down to the seventh. 27 Finally, the woman died. 28 Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?”

29 Jesus replied, “You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. 30 At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. 31 But about the resurrection of the dead—have you not read what God said to you, 32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’[Exodus 3:6]? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.”

33 When the crowds heard this, they were astonished at his teaching. "

I don't have much time, but basically, many Christians believe that there is no marriage in Heaven (or sex) because of what Jesus said. We will be like the angels...

Peace and God bless you
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    so, will we be allowed to have love affairs , or at least romantic platonic relationships ?

There will be no need for stuff like that. People in Heaven won't be thinking in the same way as we think right now. Not that there is nothing wrong with romantic relationships. It's just going to be another atmosphere altogether.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christianlady)
    Hello Amime,

Many Christians believe what Jesus said:

Matthew 22 (NIV) - I boldened some.

23 That same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question. 24 “Teacher,” they said, “Moses told us that if a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and raise up offspring for him. 25 Now there were seven brothers among us. The first one married and died, and since he had no children, he left his wife to his brother. 26 The same thing happened to the second and third brother, right on down to the seventh. 27 Finally, the woman died. 28 Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?”

29 Jesus replied, “You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. 30 At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. 31 But about the resurrection of the dead—have you not read what God said to you, 32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’[Exodus 3:6]? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.”

33 When the crowds heard this, they were astonished at his teaching. "

I don't have much time, but basically, many Christians believe that there is no marriage in Heaven (or sex) because of what Jesus said. We will be like the angels...

Peace and God bless you
    Sounds like Hell to me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I hope to be reunited with my loved ones in heaven, as I wouldn't wanna be all by myself
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpharius)
    Sounds like Hell to me.
    Hello Alpharius,

Apparently it sounds like hell to quite a number of people. However, guess what?

For some people, they believe Heaven (for men) includes 72 celestial virgins more beautiful than earthly women.

For other people, they believe Heaven (for men) includes populating their own world with many wives.

For other people, they believe Heaven doesn't exist and they don't believe that after death they will be having sex or doing anything, even being "like the angels in Heaven." Rather, they believe they will just cease to exist.

For Christians, our concept of Heaven centers not on sex, nor on temporary earthly pleasures, but rather on being in the presence of God forever, in which there is complete peace, joy, and unity.

Also, to directly answer the OP's question: Christians do believe that in Heaven, they will be with family members. (For example, I believe that I will see my Mamaw (Grandmother) there, as well as all my family.) However, Christians believe that we will be "like the angels" (this doesn't mean be angels) and will be together with all believers, along with Abraham and Jacob and Isaac, and believers from all over the world, of all different ethnicity, from all generations.

As for sex, I absolutely love sex very much with my husband. I believe both my husband and I will go to Heaven by God's grace. However, earthly things pass away, including sex. So, sex with my husband is for now on earth... in Heaven, celestial events do not include sex, but rather being in the visible presence of God and unity with other believers.

In Heaven, there is no more pain, no more sadness, no more sickness, no more evil that plagues the earth (torture, rape, murder, and so on) Sad to say, so many people have and do experience hell on earth.

Peace and God bless
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christianlady)
    Hello Alpharius,

Apparently it sounds like hell to quite a number of people. However, guess what?

For some people, they believe Heaven (for men) includes 72 celestial virgins more beautiful than earthly women.

For other people, they believe Heaven (for men) includes populating their own world with many wives.

For other people, they believe Heaven doesn't exist and they don't believe that after death they will be having sex or doing anything, even being "like the angels in Heaven." Rather, they believe they will just cease to exist.

For Christians, our concept of Heaven centers not on sex, nor on temporary earthly pleasures, but rather on being in the presence of God forever, in which there is complete peace, joy, and unity.

Also, to directly answer the OP's question: Christians do believe that in Heaven, they will be with family members. (For example, I believe that I will see my Mamaw (Grandmother) there, as well as all my family.) However, Christians believe that we will be "like the angels" (this doesn't mean be angels) and will be together with all believers, along with Abraham and Jacob and Isaac, and believers from all over the world, of all different ethnicity, from all generations.

As for sex, I absolutely love sex very much with my husband. I believe both my husband and I will go to Heaven by God's grace. However, earthly things pass away, including sex. So, sex with my husband is for now on earth... in Heaven, celestial events do not include sex, but rather being in the visible presence of God and unity with other believers.

In Heaven, there is no more pain, no more sadness, no more sickness, no more evil that plagues the earth (torture, rape, murder, and so on) Sad to say, so many people have and do experience hell on earth.

Peace and God bless
    Well, the bolded very much covers me. It doesn't bother me one bit either. I really don't see why anyone would want to exist for eternity, isn't this life enough? Wouldn't you just get bored worshipping "God" forever?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 4, 2012
New on TSR

What do you think of the BBC?

UK Parliament wants to hear your views

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.