Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

USB cable for phone isn't working

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have had this phone since April 2011 and it came with a very small USB cable. It used to work fine but for no reason nothing happens now when I connect the phone to my laptop - nothing comes up on my screen and it doesn't recognise that there's a USB cable at all.

Is there anything I can do or do I need to get a new USB cable? It's a Nokia X3-02.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have tried restarting both my laptop and my phone but it hasn't made any difference.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I suggest you just buy a new cable. In my experience, Nokia USB cables tend to wear out quite quickly. :erm:
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
    I have tried restarting both my laptop and my phone but it hasn't made any difference.
    Might have to get a new one im afraid, not sure what I could suggest other than that. You might be able to get a cheap one from amazon though.

• 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    I suggest you just buy a new cable. In my experience, Nokia USB cables tend to wear out quite quickly. :erm:

I have had so many problems with this phone, it's unreal. I am so close to just lobbing it out the window
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak137)
    Might have to get a new one im afraid, not sure what I could suggest other than that. You might be able to get a cheap one from amazon though.

Is it possible to buy a compatible USB cable from a sort of techy shop? (Yeah I'm not great with technology). Like a Currys type place?
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:

I have had so many problems with this phone, it's unreal. I am so close to just lobbing it out the window
    98p from amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/DATA-CABLE-N...3066543&sr=8-6

Alternatively, you could get a cheap phone if this is causing you too many problems and cba with the hassle?

EDIT: techyshop? (:lol:) :erm: why not from amazon?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you use the data cable extensively I suggest you buy the official Nokia version. Unbranded replacements break far quicker and are generally less reliable.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak137)
    98p from amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/DATA-CABLE-N...3066543&sr=8-6

Alternatively, you could get a cheap phone if this is causing you too many problems and cba with the hassle?

EDIT: techyshop? (:lol:) :erm: why not from amazon?
    Thank you

Well you see I'm sick of listening to the same songs on my phone, and was rather hoping to put more on it. However since my USB cable isn't working, I'm stuck with the same music. I don't really want to wait for an Amazon delivery if I can get one tomorrow
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

Well you see I'm sick of listening to the same songs on my phone, and was rather hoping to put more on it. However since my USB cable isn't working, I'm stuck with the same music. I don't really want to wait for an Amazon delivery if I can get one tomorrow
    Oh right haha. Some high street shops might sell it, although your chances are small. You could try O2, phones4U, to see if they have any, or try those phone repair shops (but beware incase they rip you off!). It seems like quite an old phone (no offence ) so im not sure if anyone is going it sell it. Good lucky anyway!
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak137)
    Oh right haha. Some high street shops might sell it, although your chances are small. You could try O2, phones4U, to see if they have any, or try those phone repair shops (but beware incase they rip you off!). It seems like quite an old phone (no offence ) so im not sure if anyone is going it sell it. Good lucky anyway!
    Thanks. I will call them and check tomorrow
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    I found a solution! I had to press the USB cable and phone together realllllllly hard, but I managed to get some new songs on it
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    I found a solution! I had to press the USB cable and phone together realllllllly hard, but I managed to get some new songs on it
    Awesome!
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak137)
    Awesome!
    << how I feel right now
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you use the data cable extensively I suggest you buy the official Nokia version. Unbranded replacements break far quicker and are generally less reliable.
    rubbish, i'd suggest a USB cable from a proper computer / electronics retailer is just as robust as a nokia branded one ...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rebooting the phone and laptop various times can solve your issue.
    If it doesn't work-----

Now lets start with the basics, which i think you have done, but a good preflight is in order.

1. Settings > Applications > development > all three options checked.

2. Plug the phone into laptop and you should hear a notification sound. Drag your notification trey down and you should see USB connection. Open it up and choose mode and ok. After a few seconds your laptop should have a Nokia X3-02 icon in the program bar.

3. Run the onclick program.

Also, try a different usb cable before you do anything else.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's just a Micro-B Male to Standard-A Male USB cable, should be able to pick them up just about anywhere for about a quid or about 50p on the interweb.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    rubbish, i'd suggest a USB cable from a proper computer / electronics retailer is just as robust as a nokia branded one ...
    I wouldn't consider those to be unbranded. I'm referring to the really cheap ones on eBay, for example.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnsenfrankin)
    Rebooting the phone and laptop various times can solve your issue.
    If it doesn't work-----

Now lets start with the basics, which i think you have done, but a good preflight is in order.

1. Settings > Applications > development > all three options checked.

2. Plug the phone into laptop and you should hear a notification sound. Drag your notification trey down and you should see USB connection. Open it up and choose mode and ok. After a few seconds your laptop should have a Nokia X3-02 icon in the program bar.

3. Run the onclick program.

Also, try a different usb cable before you do anything else.
    See, that's just it - nothing happens when I plug it in. It only comes up if I press the cable and phone tightly together, which hurt my hand but I managed to do it for long enough to get a few songs on.

I'm just going to need to get a new one. Thanks anyway
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't consider those to be unbranded. I'm referring to the really cheap ones on eBay, for example.
    Where do you think most computer retailers buy their cables from?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.