The Student Room Group

Illustration FdA at Camberwell...?

Hello,
I've just heard back from Camberwell regarding my application for BA Illustration; I was rejected from the course but given an unconditional offer on the Foundation Degree Illustration course instead.
I have no idea what the difference is between a BA and an FdA apart from the fact that the BA is a year longer... I was wondering if anyone knew anything about illustration foundation degrees and how desired they are by employers? Camberwell have said that I can do a top up year with them, but will my chances at being employed by a reputable company be lessened if i do the foundation degree + top up year instead of a normal BA?
I also have an offer from Loughborough on their BA illustration course, and I kind of started to like the idea of studying at Loughborough; great uni, great student life and i get to do a placement year which is a big plus.
Basically I need to choose between the two courses: Is Camberwells reputation worth it? Which is most likely to help my future prospects? How good are the courses at either uni?
I am so confused and would be so grateful for any advice! Or to hear if anyone is in the same position as me!!
Sorry for the essay haha and thanks for taking the time to read
x
my friend is doing an illustration foundation, as she started off doing a regular foundation degree but felt it was moving too slowly/in no particular direction, so she got recommended to switch to it. it's basically a step down from a BA i believe, but you still get similar briefs, and i think you work more for 'clients' too, for example in my friend's course they got people to illustrate for a local gardening centre and hospital. after you finish the two years, you can top it up by going straight to third year BA.
personally, i would do the BA. they're more competitive to get onto, the standard of work will be higher etc, it's just more of the 'real deal'. :tongue: hope this helps, let us know what you decide!
Reply 2
I've heard it's more intense seeing as it's two years long. If it's any consolation you can join back onto the third after you finish :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest