Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Caramel or red highlights?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is difficult to picture but I don't want to post a photo on here :cool:

I have very pale skin, very dark brown hair, and hazel eyes. I've had the same look for my entire life and I'm sick to death of it, so I'm contemplating putting some color in my hair. I'm just torn between going with blondish/caramel colored highlights, or possibly some sort of red?

I'm not sure because I feel like the caramel may add some warmth to my skin but the red may look more striking. Any advice or pics?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    A red streak on black would look very striking, yes

Caramel, OK, but personally I've never liked blondish highlights on black/ dark brown hair.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Caramel highlights often (at least in my opinion) look shocking when put on dark brown hair. I once considered getting it done until I realised that it would probably look better if my hair was light to medium brown. (I have dark brown hair/pale skin/hazel eyes, too ) Maybe red? I know a girl who has a red streak in her fringe and it really suits her, though her hair is black completely, and her complexion is very clear.

In short, go with what you think looks best on you. (Personally I find red hair looks better if it's red all over, and not bright red but a sort of auburn shade. That was me, though; I found it really suited me, despite initial reservations.) Or ask your hairdresser - they usually have a rough idea of what colours suit what people
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah see I wanted to actually dye my entire head red - not an unnatural red, something soft. But my hairdresser said red fades quickly and I'd need to re-dye every four weeks

I actually had caramel highlights years ago - my hair isn't black, and maybe the color wasn't exactly caramel - more like a lighter brown. It looked nice and I think made my eyes stand out more but I wasn't in love with it and I'm dying to try something new!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 30, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered hair care and hairstyles threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.