Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My mum is always in pain and it's killing me :/ Need some advice..

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    DELETED
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abed1993)
    Hey, this thread might be a bit long..

Basically, my mum is 43 and for the last 6 years she's been really ill and has so many problems. She has tunnel vision and is now classified as blind, she can still see everything during daylight but the vision she has now is so bad during the night, she is on the blind's list. She also has diabetes and arthritis. I think my mum is over weight, she's not that fat compared to many people, i reckon she's around 17-19 stones and she has so many pains in her body every day which kills me inside. No one likes to see their mother in pain and it really depresses me. I just wish they could all go way and i want her to live a free pain body. She's suffered so much with all her problems and i know it will not end any time soon because it's been constantly hurting her for the past 6 years and she's still got years left in her, i don't want her to live the rest of her life like this. We go doctors once a week every time and all they give her is tablets, the say, take this and it'll go away, take that it'll go away.. every day she has around 4 tablets (all different ones) and it just doesn't help!! week in week out we go to a different doctor to see if they can give us something different and it still does not help. When my mum went abroad, we tried medicine from that country and still didn't help. I've told my mum so many times that losing weight will ease the problem (i am pretty sure), but she can't even exercise too because it hurts her body!! even when i go outside to take her for a wake, if we walk for around 15 metres, her legs start to hurt and she gets out of breath so quickly

Honestly, i think there's something really wrong with her body and her bones, i understand she has arthritis but i think it's something much worse

the doctors don't care and it's really making me angry!! I want my mum to get a CT scan because i really want them to look deep in side my mother and look for something, i don't know? How can i get the doctors to let my mum get a CT scan? I'm sure you need a very good reason for it..

I'm sure you can understand my pain, my mother is my world and it just makes me want to cry.
    Are you Abed1993?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameslad)

Basically, my mum is 43 and for the last 6 years she's been really ill and has so many problems. She has tunnel vision and is now classified as blind, she can still see everything during daylight but the vision she has now is so bad during the night, she is on the blind's list. She also has diabetes and arthritis. I think my mum is over weight, she's not that fat compared to many people, i reckon she's around 17-19 stones and she has so many pains in her body every day which kills me inside. No one likes to see their mother in pain and it really depresses me. I just wish they could all go way and i want her to live a free pain body. She's suffered so much with all her problems and i know it will not end any time soon because it's been constantly hurting her for the past 6 years and she's still got years left in her, i don't want her to live the rest of her life like this. We go doctors once a week every time and all they give her is tablets, the say, take this and it'll go away, take that it'll go away.. every day she has around 4 tablets (all different ones) and it just doesn't help!! week in week out we go to a different doctor to see if they can give us something different and it still does not help. When my mum went abroad, we tried medicine from that country and still didn't help. I've told my mum so many times that losing weight will ease the problem (i am pretty sure), but she can't even exercise too because it hurts her body!! even when i go outside to take her for a wake, if we walk for around 15 metres, her legs start to hurt and she gets out of breath so quickly

Honestly, i think there's something really wrong with her body and her bones, i understand she has arthritis but i think it's something much worse

the doctors don't care and it's really making me angry!! I want my mum to get a CT scan because i really want them to look deep in side my mother and look for something, i don't know? How can i get the doctors to let my mum get a CT scan? I'm sure you need a very good reason for it..

I'm sure you can understand my pain, my mother is my world and it just makes me want to cry.
    Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you mother's condition is quite complex. Do you have an explanation for the pain she is experiencing? Unfortunately conditions like diabetes and arthritis can cause permanent pain which is only controlled by pain medication. I'm not sure if seeing multiple doctors is the right thing to do. Ideally she should be seeing the same doctor each time, who can get a better idea of her problems over time and develop some sort of continuity of care. I can't comment on what your mother needs, but I doubt a CT scan is the answer. You should discuss this with her doctor, and also explain to your doctor how much this is effecting you both.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can't you go on a really calorie restricted diet and it gets rid of type II diabetes and will also lose weight off her. It is pretty low calories so will feel like she is starving. She would just need to tough it out for the couple of weeks.

I will try and find an article...brb
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sorry for that OP, when someone who you love suffers so badly day in day out it can really bring you down.

You are obviously a really caring person though OP, your mother is lucky to have you.

All I can suggest is, find a doctor which you find is right for your mum, and like someone else posted above, stick to that one doctor so you can build up a history.

I know with my Aunt, for one reason or other, she said once she went to the doctors with a list of tests she wanted to have done to her (I think she's been trying for a baby) and they discovered she had a thyroid problem, which wouldn't have have been diagnosed if she didn't request for it.

So maybe you could request for her to have some tests or something.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Here is the article, I didn't realise it was for 8 weeks.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-livin...s-2502612.html
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lu-x)
    Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you mother's condition is quite complex. Do you have an explanation for the pain she is experiencing? Unfortunately conditions like diabetes and arthritis can cause permanent pain which is only controlled by pain medication. I'm not sure if seeing multiple doctors is the right thing to do. Ideally she should be seeing the same doctor each time, who can get a better idea of her problems over time and develop some sort of continuity of care. I can't comment on what your mother needs, but I doubt a CT scan is the answer. You should discuss this with her doctor, and also explain to your doctor how much this is effecting you both.
    The doctors do not have an explanation and all they give is tablets.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    The doctors do not have an explanation and all they give is tablets.
    What makes you think they don't care? If you go in with her and start making a fuss and telling them how to do their job I don't think they'll be too impressed.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrshinyshoes)
    What makes you think they don't care? If you go in with her and start making a fuss and telling them how to do their job I don't think they'll be too impressed.
    Because all they is give different tablets every time we go and none of them work!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really sorry to hear your story, its horrible to see your loved ones in pain and out of your control.
    If i may, however, a CT scan in this instance is almost certainly going to show you nothing. If you are not looking for anything in particular, then it is going to be of little value. If you NEED one for your own piece of mind, then pay for a private scan, because they will not do it on the NHS if it doesn't change the management.
    Your definetly right about the excercise though, and even a tiny amount will help....if you can encourage her to start very slowly for maybe a minute or two and build it up, then you may get to a point where things improve. I know its difficult but try not to give up!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abed1993)
    Because all they is give different tablets every time we go and none of them work!
    We cant fix everything, have you tried private practice?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikestraws)
    We're not that rich :-(
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We're not that rich :-(
    It is evil'y expensive I know.

Keep slamming the doctors and the hospital, I can relate to your experience (not as serious by any means) but my dad had serious shoulder issues for 4 years, whenever he went to the docs or hospital they gave him pain killers, but said they wouldnt pay for a scan because it was "just pain".

After 4 years, they scanned him, and it turns out he needed surgery. 4 years of **** could have been avoided if they had just done the scan in the first place, this is why we pay taxes right?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It is evil'y expensive I know.

Keep slamming the doctors and the hospital, I can relate to your experience (not as serious by any means) but my dad had serious shoulder issues for 4 years, whenever he went to the docs or hospital they gave him pain killers, but said they wouldnt pay for a scan because it was "just pain".

After 4 years, they scanned him, and it turns out he needed surgery. 4 years of **** could have been avoided if they had just done the scan in the first place, this is why we pay taxes right?
    hmm.. my dad suffers a lot of pain on his shoulder too!! He gets these pains one a week :/
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Basically, my mum is 43 and for the last 6 years she's been really ill and has so many problems. She has tunnel vision and is now classified as blind, she can still see everything during daylight but the vision she has now is so bad during the night, she is on the blind's list. She also has diabetes and arthritis. I think my mum is over weight, she's not that fat compared to many people, i reckon she's around 17-19 stones and she has so many pains in her body every day which kills me inside.
    i sympathize with you because arthritis runs in my family and ive seen the things it can do, but i think you're too dependent on the doctors coming up with a cure for your mother. 17 - 19 stone is VERY overweight and it will have a significant impact on her joints and mobility. your mum needs to find a way to take responsibility for that problem and see if that improves her situation, throwing different drugs at her wont cure problems caused by excess weight.

i know its hard to see parents in pain, my dad is in his mid 70s, has had major heart surgery a few times, as well as lung problems (hes had litres of fluid drained from them) and multiple joint replacements through arthritis. But he still goes to the gym every day to make sure he is as fit as possible, because medication cannot and will not cure everything.

maybe you and your mum can come up with some kind of plan to help her eating and gradually get her more mobile?
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried contacting charities or support groups for people with similar conditions? They might have some good tips for easing pain or coping with it, or doing other things that might help with her condition. For instance they might be able to recommend her forms of gentle exercise that she can gradually build up (is swimming supposed to be easier on people with arthritis?).

Hope your mum finds something that helps.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Have you ever considered a healing crusade?

before you tell me its a load of whatever and its this and that, let me tell you, Jesus heals, I'd recommend you take her to one when you can, you have nothing to lose.

I can understand how it must make you feel, I am so very close to my Own Mum and if she was in any pain like that then I also would be very upset.

I was healed myself, was deaf in one ear, got prayed for and immediately could hear again. I know people who doctors diagnosed them with terminal cancer, gave them 2months to live, they went along to a christian healing service, think it was Benny hinn with the anointing, she got prayer, went back the hospital next day and doctors found no trace of cancer whatsoever! AMEN,!!
    Also people with broken legs get prayed for on stage, get told to stand up without the sticks and find they can walk with mended legs!!

Seriously, look out for christian pastors who God heals people through, I'd really recommend going along to one.
    Many are found on the God channel and there will be a date and a place confirmed on screen on a next crusade.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just found out, mother has Fibromyalgia
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

EDIT: Mother has Fibromyalgia
    I'm sorry I can't offer any medical or practical advice - but know that the the way in which you love your mother and care for her so much is the best comfort she would want and need
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senator88)
    I'm sorry I can't offer any medical or practical advice - but know that the the way in which you love your mother and care for her so much is the best comfort she would want and need
    But she thinks i don't care ..

I don't like showing my mum that her pain is hurting me :/

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 25, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.