Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

the way of the world is changing

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    what do you think about the changes that are currently happening in the world? many countries in the west are struggling - think about the young people in greece and recently, spain.

what do you think about the occupy movement? a lot of people are fed up with the way things are. do you think things will change soon?

i think we've passed the tipping point. we are humans after all and we've put the importance of money before love, family and health for too long. we are beginning to realise that money does not make us happy.

as a young person, i think the best thing we can do is to keep an open mind and explore all the opportunities available to us. the worst thing we can do is to pigeon hole ourselves.

your thoughts?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The occupy type people sure as hell dont keep an open mind. They have a set view of the world which is basically marxist and defeatist.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Occupy are a complete joke. All they do is sit on their backside whining about something or other.

If you want something, do something! Don't just sit down whining.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomflag)
    i think we've passed the tipping point. we are humans after all and we've put the importance of money before love, family and health for too long. we are beginning to realise that money does not make us happy.
    People at the moment are mainly complaining that they don't have much money, or that other people have too much money.

In a recession, or bad times, people care about money even more.

It's only in the good times, when they feel that they have more money, that life suddenly becomes about more than just money.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Occupy people were complaining about capitalists being capitalists LMAO
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infallible)
    Occupy are a complete joke. All they do is sit on their backside whining about something or other.

What I do on TSR is sit on my backside whining. Occupy did do something, they orchestrated a large anti-capitalist protest that succeeded in raising awareness for their cause. What do you propose they do?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drapetomanic)
    What I do on TSR is sit on my backside whining. Occupy did do something, they orchestrated a large anti-capitalist protest that succeeded in raising awareness for their cause. What do you propose they do?
    enter politics and see if they actually can change things if they are the 99% they claim to be....
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    New day, same old problems.

I think it's a bit early to strip off and run into the streets swinging our soiled pants in the air.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Not surprising, the world is meant to be changed. Change is inevitable. it is rather the direction of change that people need to be concerned of rather than the change per se. That said discontent towards the current economical system is more likely to become serious at the right side of the Atlantic rather than the left, despite the Occupy movement.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiveFastDieYoung)
    enter politics and see if they actually can change things if they are the 99% they claim to be....
    How exactly does an individual with little education working a 9-5 job for minimum wage enter politics? When they say 'we are the 99%' they are of course referring to their economic status, rather than their popularity or support. The best thing they can do is raise awareness until they have enough support for actual social change.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drapetomanic)
    How exactly does an individual with little education working a 9-5 job for minimum wage enter politics? When they say 'we are the 99%' they are of course referring to their economic status, rather than their popularity or support. The best thing they can do is raise awareness until they have enough support for actual social change.
    he was referring to the occupy movement, you know the one that sits around messing up city centers and pretending it has a message beyond "OH NOEZ I HATE CAPITALISM".

Those guys seem to have the time to do that, why not not, I don't know, set up a political party and start campaigning to see if they can attract the votes of the oppressed 99% they claim to represent?

At present they are campaigning for what reason? They claim there are no political parties which represent them, WELL GO MAKE ONE, thats what democracy is. if no one votes for you, tough cheese.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    he was referring to the occupy movement, you know the one that sits around messing up city centers and pretending it has a message beyond "OH NOEZ I HATE CAPITALISM".

Those guys seem to have the time to do that, why not not, I don't know, set up a political party and start campaigning to see if they can attract the votes of the oppressed 99% they claim to represent?

At present they are campaigning for what reason? They claim there are no political parties which represent them, WELL GO MAKE ONE, thats what democracy is. if no one votes for you, tough cheese.
    Perhaps they are. Still, raising awareness and drawing support for a cause is very necessary considering how far apart the occupy movement is from the mainstream political spectrum.

We wouldn't be having this discussion if a few people involved in the early days of occupy tried to form a political party because they wouldn't have gotten any media coverage and thus no support.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, so young, so much faith in the democratic process.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicknick1)
    The occupy type people sure as hell dont keep an open mind. They have a set view of the world which is basically marxist and defeatist.
    Marxist and defeatist? Some contradiction, surely?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    We need to phase out Type 0 thinking individuals and move towards a Type I world (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale ).

I propose we start by rejecting all religion.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infallible)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't protesting and campaigning doing something?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goape)
    They were protesting about tax evasion in our bankrupt state and about working class taxpayers money being used to save international businesses from the laws of the market.

Nothing to do with capitalism.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    They were protesting about tax evasion in our bankrupt state and about working class taxpayers money being used to save international businesses from the laws of the market.

Nothing to do with capitalism.
    What?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We're just seeing the end of Western geo-political dominance, which has existed for literally centuries.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goape)
    No they aren't. In a proper capitalist state the banks would have been allowed to collapse.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 2, 2012
New on TSR

Join the Welcome Squad

Become a part of the TSR team!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.