Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long can you stay with someone before it stops being called as a "holiday"?

Announcements Posted on
TSR wants you: get involved with Power Hour. 10-04-2014
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering the answer to this question in relation to Ireland, but if anyone knows the UK rules that'd be a good second best. I wish to go and stay in Ireland with relatives for a while but just wondering when it stops being classed as a holiday in terms of tax, possibly even citizen status etc? I have an Irish passport so not sure the citizen bit is an issue.

Many thanks
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    Normally a tourist visa lasts up to 3 months. As long as you're not working you can probably get away with staying longer than that, especially if you have dual passports. As always Google provides more info (and TIL that the Irish government have a DFA division): http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=8778
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    As EU member states, the rules found here apply to the UK and Ireland.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm Irish. If you have an Irish passport, you are an Irish citizen. You are always a citizen of Ireland wherever in the world you live. In many cases, you don't even have to have visited as you can get it from your parents or grandparents.

Regards tax, if you work there, you will pay tax there, even if its a working holiday. Do you have a PRSI number? You won't be able to work without it. There is probably a personal allowance before you become liable for tax, just like in the UK.

There is also a NAMA (bank bailout) levy on wages if you work there, regardless of whether you are resident.

If you're referring to DIRT on Irish based bank savings, this is for residents only. I'm not sure how long you have to be there to start being liable for this.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Normally a tourist visa lasts up to 3 months. As long as you're not working you can probably get away with staying longer than that, especially if you have dual passports. As always Google provides more info (and TIL that the Irish government have a DFA division): http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=8778
    This visa is only required if you are not a EU national.

Even before the EU, British and Irish nationals have had freedom of movement between the two countries. It was part of the agreement that created the Irish state.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, y'all
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    I'm Irish. If you have an Irish passport, you are an Irish citizen. You are always a citizen of Ireland wherever in the world you live. In many cases, you don't even have to have visited as you can get it from your parents or grandparents.
    Yup. Practically my whole family are Irish. Seriously...I can't think of other nationalities in there Just me and a few other young ones born in the UK.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: March 30, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.