Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I Apply For En-Suite, Catered Accomodation At Encliffe?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    o.0 sorry i dont know much about accomodation here, hoping some 2nd or 3rd years could tell me the pros and cons of this particular arrangement
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go for non-catered. Catering is not very worthwhile.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'd give catered a miss. I considered it, but self-catered is a much cheaper option (I don't usually go far over £10, never go over £17 and that's only when I'm bulk-buying meat) - plus it prepares you with skills you'll be using in the future. I have a friend in catered, and he often misses meals from when he's overslept or been working because he sees catered as more of a social option. Plus, once you've gone catered that's it - you don't get the choice of cooking for yourself unless you wind up practically living in a self-catered flat. He's also complained of people leaving mouldy plates, etc - not necessarily a guarantee for catered, but some people may simply choose catered because they're lazy.

Of course, it isn't all bad - you don't have to worry about cooking times, planning meals, washing up, etc. But after having gone self-catered, I wouldn't turn back. But then I do find cooking de-stresses me, so it's no surprise.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Personally I would also advise not going catered, the cost of meals is very expensive and you have to eat meals at set times. Someone I know had to spend extra money, outside of their catering budget, in order to eat. The best option I would say would be to go Endcliffe self catered. Also I disagree with the above poster, its very hard to get food down to £10 a week, in fact its near impossible. Realistically its £20 a month plus.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack McGill)
    Personally I would also advise not going catered, the cost of meals is very expensive and you have to eat meals at set times. Someone I know had to spend extra money, outside of their catering budget, in order to eat. The best option I would say would be to go Endcliffe self catered. Also I disagree with the above poster, its very hard to get food down to £10 a week, in fact its near impossible. Realistically its £20 a month plus.
    Depends what you're eating. I always set aside a weekly shop budget of £20 p/w, but speaking from my own personal experience, it is possible to keep yourself from going much over £10. This isn't counting the things that you don't need to buy weekly, though (I'm talking pasta, rice, butter etc - too infrequent to count in a weekly budget). Also doesn't include eating out if you're just having one of those days where you can't be bothered.

Not that I'm saying everyone spends that little, because almost nobody does. It does depend whether you habitually buy extra "treats" and whether you can be arsed to shop around or jump onto reduced/special offer items.

OP, that's also true, most catered students I know also have to spend outside their budget for some meals - I know two internationals who regularly get takeaways because of the lack of cooking facilities. Costs them a bomb.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 4, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.