The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2100
Original post by Mad Vlad
:curious: Sauce?

Sadly, none credible but I remain hopeful.

It's almost certainly not true but still.
Original post by Laertes
There's nothing like celebrating the possible death of Margaret Thatcher to bring in the negs.

Celebrating the death of anyone is kind of tacky and in poor taste to be honest, even more so when they were a respected figure, even more so after they've had to deal with the loss of dignity that is suffering from a dementia.

I really dislike the whole "Maggie was an evil bitch" thing. People forget the good things she did (even if there was plenty that was bad) and the context in which she did them.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2102
Original post by Revd. Mike
Celebrating the death of anyone is kind of tacky and in poor taste to be honest, even more so when they were a respected figure, even more so after they've had to deal with the loss of dignity that is suffering from a dementia.

I really dislike the whole "Maggie was an evil bitch" thing. People forget the good things she did (even if there was plenty that was bad) and the context in which she did them.

Generally I agree with you, but I have a special level of hatred for Thatcher.
Original post by Laertes

I doubt you were even born when Thatcher was PM. :lolwut: That kind of hate is a little shallow from someone that's clearly just been indoctrinated by their trade unionist parents.

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, but it just seems a bit trite to me.
Reply 2104
Original post by Laertes

Well, she did take away my school milk.
I would only celebrate if her awful ideology ever dies which is unlikely in the near future. :mad:

I doubt you were even born when Thatcher was PM. :lolwut: That kind of hate is a little shallow from someone that's clearly just been indoctrinated by their trade unionist parents.

The effects of her actions and the ideology lives on.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2106
Original post by mmmpie
Well, she did take away my school milk.

Are you really that old, Tom?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2107

Nah, it's alright, you're entitled to your opinion. I respect that.
Reply 2108
Original post by InPlainSight
I would only celebrate if her awful ideology ever dies which is unlikely in the near future. :mad:

The effects of her actions and the ideology lives on.

Which is why we no longer have closed shop, why people who live in council houses have the right to buy them, and why unions are required to shave a vote and give notice before they strike. She also massively weakened the National Front, and the Anglo-Irish Agreement was a massive step in the Northern Ireland peace process. Those are just the things I can think of off the top of my head.

Not everything she did was bad.
Reply 2109
Original post by Laertes
Are you really that old, Tom?

I think it was 1972, so no. I wasn't born until 1986.
Reply 2110
Celebrating the fact that someone you hate has died? :lolwut:

People act like she was Stalin or something.
Original post by Laertes
Nah, it's alright, you're entitled to your opinion. I respect that.

:smile:
I've honestly never met anyone who likes Thatcher. O.o I've never managed to find something good that totally balanced out all the crap either; but then I'm pretty far left as a far left thing. I'm sure she's a dear in some way or another.
I'm not a great fan of Maggie (though I wasn't alive at the time of her reign), but to wish that upon someone is just plain evil. It's sick and disgusting. Jade Goody, Amy Winehouse, Maggie Thatcher, Justin Bieber, Rebecca Black, One Direction etc. Seriously when will people stop being so harsh?!
I really want to visit the Shard. It's just struck me that I've never been higher than the 9th floor in a building... :lolwut:
I really want to visit the Shard. It's just struck me that I've never been higher than the 9th floor in a building... :lolwut:

15th. I regularly walked it...
Original post by crazylemon
15th. I regularly walked it...

I'm normally out of breath after 2 floors... :sad:
Yeah, I'm totally not into the whole, "I wish 'Person X' would just die!" Well, I wish you would stop being such a tool...
Reply 2118
And yet, I often find that those who relish Thatcher's death are often those who took the moral high ground when people celebrated Bin Laden's death.

I call them the Phoney Left. Give the rest of us a bad name :\
I like thatcher, though wasn't alive when she was in power, my dad was and did vote her in. He was in the army and apparently she was very kind to them, plus he practically lived abroad, so he has nothing bad to say about her. I respect her for being a woman in power. Couldn't have been much worse than Cameron, surely? :h:

In other news, I'm a bad person. I've met someone incredible, she is literally amazing and I can't stop thinking about her. We've been talking for a while now, she told me she's bi the other day. :lolwut: I didn't mean to find someone else and at the beginning I tried not speaking to her after a few nights of wild dreams :K:

My boyfriend and I are going through a really bad patch at the minute because I just don't find him sexually attractive, I feel sick when he touches me but he's lovely, understanding, supportive. I thought it was phase, but I've been making excuses for 2 weeks for why he can't stay over.

:cry: I dunno what to do. I really don't want to hurt him.

Latest