Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Got a job offer, waiting for University offer

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • Thread Starter
    • 0 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    Help!

    I ve got unexpected job offer, which I have now 1 week to respond to, but 3 weeks ago I applied to graduate program to reputable Uni, and waiting their respond.

    What can I do?

    I would prefer to study over job, but if I am not accepted I am staying without both options.

    1. Can somebody tell me what is the ratio to defer Uni offer, should I ve been accepted? Do they normal defer without problem, or only sometimes?
    2. Would be ok to contact admission board before decision deadline and explain them situation?
    • Thread Starter
    • 0 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    Is there really nobody that can make a suggestion, or have relevant experience?
    • 5 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hisound)
    Help!



    I would prefer to study over job, but if I am not accepted I am staying without both options.
    If you would prefer to study why did you apply for a job anyway? What was your reason for applying for a job? You could turn down the job and then get turned down from the uni so it's risky. Did you not apply to any other uni courses?

    (Original post by Hisound)
    1. Can somebody tell me what is the ratio to defer Uni offer, should I ve been accepted? Do they normal defer without problem, or only sometimes?
    Not really sure what your question is here tbh. If you mean to ask how many successful applicants manage to defer their studies, then I have no idea and I doubt anyone else does either. Besides, it won't actually help you to know those statistics.

    (Original post by Hisound)
    2. Would be ok to contact admission board before decision deadline and explain them situation?
    No because you'll be showing them that they are just an option to you. They don't want to hear that you have a possible job lined up and what you're basically asking them is could they tell you sooner whether or not you have been accepted so that you can either accept/reject your job offer.

    You need to decide whether work or study is more important to you and to be honest - you should have decided that before you applied to both.
    • 0 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    What prospects does the job offer bring? Do you think you'll still be in the job by the time it would have taken you to finish your course?
    • Thread Starter
    • 0 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    Okay, let me explain a little bit different:

    I applied to one of the top Unis and only to this one. I would prefer to study at this Uni/program over job.

    I didn't apply for a job, but got unexpected offer, because I have worked there part time, and now, half a year later, they contacted me out of the blue and offered me a job.

    I would prefer study at Uni I applied to over this job, but would also prefer to work at this job over study anywhere else this year.

    I have to make a decision this week and Uni have official decision in two-three weeks.

    If I reject job offer and dont get admitted to Uni, I missed 2 opportunities.
    If I accept job and get admitted, I won't be happy either.
    If I accept job and don't get admitted I will be like: luckily I accepted.

    This reminds me on game theory

    So, I would like to gather some information. I disagree that statistics don't help here. For example if there is a trend that 95% applicants successfully defer their offer at Uni, this info helps with decision, as well as if only 5% applicants successfully defer offer at Uni.

    So that is why I am asking about defer.

    As for the job defer, yeah, I could probably defer, but they have waiting list with other candidates and I leave it in the air. Sure, other opportunities may come along, but I need to make a decision now, based on info I have.

    But looking at whole picture, I am happy that I have nice options to pickup job or study
    • 0 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hisound)
    I didn't apply for a job, but got unexpected offer, because I have worked there part time, and now, half a year later, they contacted me out of the blue and offered me a job.
    This sounds a bit strange to me. To me, it sounds as if for half a year they haven't needed you but now all of a sudden have a large magnitude of work. They could want you back just to help them with one job that's a bit too much for them to handle. If that's true, then in a few months time they may well not need you again, and may let you go.

    If I was in your position, I would take the university course. Tell the company that you're free to work in non-term time if you like (keep ties, you must've made a good impression so there's a reasonable chance they may give you another offer when you've finished your uni course). But yes, my advice is uni. Best of luck.
    • Thread Starter
    • 0 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    Job is reliable, it is not just some short term work, it is initial 1 year contract with extending option. It is not that I am the only one they can hire, but knowing the circumstances I know they want to hire me (for at least 1 year). I have an offer for 1 year contract full time (rejected 2 and 3 years contract).

    I do want to take Uni courses instead, but the problem is I don't have yet their offer and I have to make a decision this week.

    So, if somebody knows answers about how many times on the average University offer you option to defer enrolment and if it is a good idea to contact them prior to decision would be very helpful.

    So far I ve got one answer, about not to contact them, that is.
    • 2 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hisound)
    Help!

    I ve got unexpected job offer, which I have now 1 week to respond to, but 3 weeks ago I applied to graduate program to reputable Uni, and waiting their respond.

    What can I do?

    I would prefer to study over job, but if I am not accepted I am staying without both options.

    1. Can somebody tell me what is the ratio to defer Uni offer, should I ve been accepted? Do they normal defer without problem, or only sometimes?
    2. Would be ok to contact admission board before decision deadline and explain them situation?
    Can you not take the job and leave in September/October?

    Whether or not they will defer depends on the course/uni. The top places will be oversubscribed and will probably not defer without a compelling reason.
    • Thread Starter
    • 0 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    Taking a job and leave in sep/oct is indeed an option, which I was thinking very much about. Problem is, job is on another continent and relocation costs are somewhat big. Still, I didn't rule that option out for good. I will ask company for sure though.

    As for defer, yes, Uni I enrolled is among top in the UK and my guess is, it will be oversubscribed. What I would like to know, is in how many cases they let you to defer? I am aware it all depends on individual circumstances and program/Uni, still there have to be some rough statistics (like 5%, 50%, 95%...), on how many candidates on the average are allowed to defer. Like you can say for enrollment, on the average top Unis accept between 5-15% candidates, depending on Uni/Program.
    • 2 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hisound)
    Help!

    I ve got unexpected job offer, which I have now 1 week to respond to, but 3 weeks ago I applied to graduate program to reputable Uni, and waiting their respond.

    What can I do?

    I would prefer to study over job, but if I am not accepted I am staying without both options.

    1. Can somebody tell me what is the ratio to defer Uni offer, should I ve been accepted? Do they normal defer without problem, or only sometimes?
    2. Would be ok to contact admission board before decision deadline and explain them situation?
    The university is not going anyway. Depending upon how you were going to finance your course, I would think very carefully about turning the job offer down.
    • Thread Starter
    • 0 followers
    Offline

    ReputationRep:
    That is a very good point. I can get fully financed scholarship, tuition fee and living expenses, sum worth over 20k. If I would have to finance it by myself, I d take a job on the spot, but now I have to decide between job offer on the table and fully financed studies at a very good Uni, which is still in the air.

Reply

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 5, 2012
New on TSR
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.