Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does this country need a more hard-Line leader?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    In order to sort this country out do we need a tougher leader? I'm not talking a hitler or a Stalin here but someone who is not afraid to take welfare from those who don't deserve it, one who is not afraid to cut foreign aid to countries that can afford their own space agencies, implement tighter immigration controls, someone who isn't afraid to cut the bullsh*t spendings and focus on proper issues such as healthcare, education and the economy. It seems the leaders of this country every time no matter who they are are afraid of being seen as putting Britain as a whole first, instead focusing on pleasing either the rich or the poor. I mean reading back I know I sound like some ukip supporter which I'm not, I just think a hard line politician in charge of one of these party's would be so much more beneficial. Do you agree or am I disillusioned?
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    To an extent but the problem with leaders like that is they struggle to see when they should drop a certain policy,
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Our leaders work within the constraints of their own party, their parliamentary majority, a demanding public and a ruthless media. I see what you mean about a policy overhaul but every new initiative has to be defended from every angle and it's probably just deemed not worth the risk. Better to go slow and steady and hope your party stays in long enough to make the changes you want. evolution not revolution.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes, we do. We need someone who isn't a wimp and isn't afraid to stand up for the country. Someone who wants Britain to be British. Someone who isn't afraid of the past. Someone who's prepared to kick the country into shape.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelyknight)
    Yes, we do. We need someone who isn't a wimp and isn't afraid to stand up for the country. Someone who wants Britain to be British. Someone who isn't afraid of the past. Someone who's prepared to kick the country into shape.

?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    A Hitler-type figure, then?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Please dont drop the 'Britain to be British' line. It's literally the trademark of the most unintelligent members of the EDL.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What sort of things would this person do?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    They're all the same; new leaders just please a different group of people.

If you want a change for the better, start with finding an alternative to the party system.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Various political forces have combined over the past few years leaving many Brits with the feeling that nobody is willing to champion their interests. For example while we're allowing the ECRH bully us out of deporting the extremist Abu Qatada back to Jordan we've simultaneously extradited a British students to the U.S for the 'crime' of setting up a web page that links to over web pages. If we had a "hard line" leader with British interest at heart leader Qatada would have been deported before you could say 'human rights industry' and we'd have told the U.S where to get off. We definitely need to change course and start putting our own wishes first.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    A Hitler-type figure, then?
    Er, no.

(Original post by DanLorenzo)
    Please dont drop the 'Britain to be British' line. It's literally the trademark of the most unintelligent members of the EDL.
    Oh, i'm sorry. I didn't realise it was a crime to want Britain to remain how it's been for years, you know, British. That doesn't make me unintelligent either - at least I know how to spell "don't".
    I haven't any experience of the EDL, but having just looked them up, they seem to be against Islam in Britain and resort to violence. I don't want anything to do with violence, thanks, but I have no problem saying that Islam isn't a British thing. Because it isn't.

(Original post by Kibalchich)
    Well, first things first, put an immediate halt to immigration. Nobody comes in for at least about five years until we can get some proper laws down about who exactly can enter.
    Next, sort out this silly justice system we have. Make the sentences suit the crimes. Any immigrants who perform significant crimes (ie murder, extreme violence etc) are sent back to where they came from, no messing about.
    Health and safety needs to be scrapped, at least, the extremities of it. We need a leader who isn't afraid to say "that's just silly, get real" to the idiots. The same for the whole political correctness thing.
    On the same note, freedom of speech will be brought back. Everyone's allowed their own opinion and can't be arrested for it.
    End Multiculturism once and for all. If you follow a culture that isn't traditionally British, or is quite clearly a vastly different culture from another country, then you're not welcome. If you want to live in Britain, you do things our way, not yours. Respect that.
    End language barriers. If you can't/won't speak English, then you can't stay, simple as that.
    And then, probably my least popular point, the new leader will put the English first. This is England, not India or [insert other foreign country here]. We need to serve our own people first, we need to give them the jobs, the education, the housing. Not people who have only lived here ten years. Instead of the ridiculous attitude that everyone on here seems to have (that if the whole English population isn't good enough for jobs, we should just import, say, the whole of China here - just because they are better at the jobs - theoretically) we need to train our own people, show them loyalty.
    etc.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    Er, no.

Oh, i'm sorry. I didn't realise it was a crime to want Britain to remain how it's been for years, you know, British. That doesn't make me unintelligent either - at least I know how to spell "don't".
    I haven't any experience of the EDL, but having just looked them up, they seem to be against Islam in Britain and resort to violence. I don't want anything to do with violence, thanks, but I have no problem saying that Islam isn't a British thing. Because it isn't.

Well, first things first, put an immediate halt to immigration. Nobody comes in for at least about five years until we can get some proper laws down about who exactly can enter.
    Next, sort out this silly justice system we have. Make the sentences suit the crimes. Any immigrants who perform significant crimes (ie murder, extreme violence etc) are sent back to where they came from, no messing about.
    Health and safety needs to be scrapped, at least, the extremities of it. We need a leader who isn't afraid to say "that's just silly, get real" to the idiots. The same for the whole political correctness thing.
    On the same note, freedom of speech will be brought back. Everyone's allowed their own opinion and can't be arrested for it.
    End Multiculturism once and for all. If you follow a culture that isn't traditionally British, or is quite clearly a vastly different culture from another country, then you're not welcome. If you want to live in Britain, you do things our way, not yours. Respect that.
    End language barriers. If you can't/won't speak English, then you can't stay, simple as that.
    And then, probably my least popular point, the new leader will put the English first. This is England, not India or [insert other foreign country here]. We need to serve our own people first, we need to give them the jobs, the education, the housing. Not people who have only lived here ten years. Instead of the ridiculous attitude that everyone on here seems to have (that if the whole English population isn't good enough for jobs, we should just import, say, the whole of China here - just because they are better at the jobs - theoretically) we need to train our own people, show them loyalty.
    etc.
    Well said!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l387onelyknight)
    We already do have proper laws on immigration.
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po...mmigrationlaw/

already exists in law
    http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/po...nrules/part13/

Health and safety needs to be scrapped, at least, the extremities of it. We need a leader who isn't afraid to say "that's just silly, get real" to the idiots.
    Health & Safety law is already fairly simple and is based on what is "reasonably practicable"
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/37/section/2

The same for the whole political correctness thing.
    W

Will that apply to the likes of Abu Hamza too?

End Multiculturism once and for all. If you follow a culture that isn't traditionally British,

What is "traditionally British"?

or is quite clearly a vastly different culture from another country, then you're not welcome. If you want to live in Britain, you do things our way, not yours. Respect that.
    The IWCA position on race is one I would agree with, see what you think
    http://www.iwca.info/?page_id=1410#race

End language barriers. If you can't/won't speak
    English, then you can't stay, simple as that.
    Might be an idea to restore funding for ESOL classes then.

etc.
    Who are "the English"? Who are "our own people"? Please define.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You make some reasonable points but some of the silly ones undermine your argument somewhat.

A "nice" plan on paper but one that doesn't make any sense in the real world. Without immigration the medical profession (just one example, there are others) would be in a complete mess, you'd never be able to produce enough new Doctors in five years to make up for the amount you'd be shutting out of the UK.

We need an immigration system based upon the needs of this country, not one that shuts out everybody because that is just silly. I quite like the Australian model, it allows well educated and well trained individuals to enter based upon the economic needs of Australia.

I speak Welsh, where are you going to deport me to? I don't speak English when I'm in Wales because I don't need to, I can get by just fine speaking Welsh.

etc.
    Why put the English first? What about those of us from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland? Why am I going to be relegated to a second class citizen in my own country?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Er, no.

Oh really? Well the spelling of a word is actually the letters that form it, not the punctuation mark. So my spelling was fine. No need to try and impress.

Anyway, to get back on topic... You need to accept that Britain will change, regardless of whether you want it to or not. It's a natural process. Everyone is a citizen of the world and they have the right to live wherever they want. As long as space isn't an issue then it's everyones prerogative to come here, despite people like you who want to close off the borders.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    We need a new Maggie.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    The problem with our leaders is that none of them are fundamentally electable. None of them have character, charisma; none are particularly "in touch" with the electorate or really seem to feel that they represent anyone apart from the people who fund them. That's the problem, really. So it just comes down to who hires the best spin people and who has the most party funding. At the moment that's the Tories. Imo it would just take a single, really charismatic/popular politician to really turn British politics on its head. Like Thatcher or Blair, minus the spin. LoL

(Original post by Kibalchich)
    withdraw from the European Union, nationalise & distributise the financial sector, rebuild the armed forces, invest in national infrastructure etc.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanLorenzo)
    Everyone is a citizen of the world and they have the right to live wherever they want. As long as space isn't an issue then it's everyones prerogative to come here, despite people like you who want to close off the borders.
    No it isn't. Since land is essentially owned property, and all property in Britain is the property of either private landowners or ultimately, the Crown, it's the prerogative of these bodies to decide who enters. This boils down to the Parliament and thusly the people. This is our country and we have a right to decide the policy of our borders. Great Britain & Northern Ireland is the sovereign property of the British & Northern Irish people and we alone as a collective body decide who can enter and on what circumstances.

Nobody has the "prerogative" to come and live in your family home and do what they like in it, play ****ty music all night and insist you don't eat pork and other nonsense things. Nation states have the right to control and police their territorial borders.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    So people are allowed to be racist, sounds good.

Believing you are superior to others is still an opinion, so by this logic, people are allowed to go out and preach racial superiority.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    So people are allowed to be racist, sounds good.

Believing you are superior to others is still an opinion, so by this logic, people are allowed to go out and preach racial superiority.
    What's the problem with preaching it?
    It won't matter if no one listens. And if people do listen, then it's probably indicative of a problem that was hiding under the surface anyway - likely exacerbated by these laws against freedom of expression.

It's best to tackle these problems head-on, not by hiding behind laws. It won't make it go away.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 3, 2012
New on TSR

THE world university rankings 2014-2015 revealed

Will they affect your uni choices?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.