Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Difference between an Anglican and a Protestant

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello :ninja:

Can anyone explain the difference to me, I'm not all that familiar with the different beliefs/principles of the various sects and I'm reading Lady Mary Wortley's letters and not quite sure whether she is one or the other.. I'm pretty sure she has a somewhat anti-Catholic stance though.

Thaaaaanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    from a quick wiki:

Anglican seems to mean 'The English Church' generally associated to the Church of England. (as opposed to the Catholic Church which is associated with the Pope in the Vatican/Rome)

The C of E is protestant.

Interestingly, the Archbishop of Canterbury also has the status: 'Primate of all England'
    What a title!
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    There are many protestant churches (i.e. protesting against the Catholicism or, specifically, against a decision made at the Diet of Speyer in 1529) and the CofE is just one of them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The Anglican church is technically a protestant church, but protestant is a term that can be used to describe any church that is not Catholic. This said, I know someone who regularly attends a lot of anglican churches and he says that the congregations often respect the pope as an authority and think of themselves as a different kind of catholic in some sense.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone =)

(Original post by Good bloke)
    There are many protestant churches (i.e. protesting against the Catholicism or, specifically, against a decision made at the Diet of Speyer in 1529) and the CofE is just one of them.
    So it wouldn't be strange if, while commenting on a text, I described it as protestant but then quoted things describing it as Anglican?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    One's 11 points in Scrabble and the other is 12.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Thanks everyone =)

So it wouldn't be strange if, while commenting on a text, I described it as protestant but then quoted things describing it as Anglican?
    No, but remember that protestant isn't necessarily Anglican.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    No, but remember that protestant isn't necessarily Anglican.
    Ah yeah, I understand - I'll probably just stick with referring to it as Protestant. Thanks!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You've got Christians who are split into Catholics and Protestants. Anglicans are English Protestants, but there are obviously other Protestants.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    You've got Christians who are split into Catholics and Protestants. Anglicans are English Protestants, but there are obviously other Protestants.
    Do all protestants, regardless of which 'type', generally get along?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    Do all protestants, regardless of which 'type', generally get along?
    Depends what you mean by 'get along' They'll disagree on various issues, but from what I've seen (on the news), nobody really gets beaten up/killed because of it.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)

Can anyone explain the difference to me, I'm not all that familiar with the different beliefs/principles of the various sects and I'm reading Lady Mary Wortley's letters and not quite sure whether she is one or the other.. I'm pretty sure she has a somewhat anti-Catholic stance though.

Thaaaaanks
    Anglican Church = The Protestant Church of England
    Protestant Church = The breakaway Churches of Christianity (Originally by Martin Luther in Germany)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)
    [...] So it wouldn't be strange if, while commenting on a text, I described it as protestant but then quoted things describing it as Anglican?
    Given that Lady Mary Wortley was baptised as an Anglican it makes little sense to talk about Protestantism in general terms since you are writing an English essay. If she were Scottish or belonged to one of the smaller churches, for example the Quakers, then it might justify more explanation. But in reality you will simply be dealing with the Church of England's view of Catholicism.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    Given that Lady Mary Wortley was baptised as an Anglican it makes little sense to talk about Protestantism in general terms since you are writing an English essay. If she were Scottish or belonged to one of the smaller churches, for example the Quakers, then it might justify more explanation. But in reality you will simply be dealing with the Church of England's view of Catholicism.
    Ok. She does refer to it as "Protestantism" quite generally herself too, about feeling comfortable in a protestant town that she visits (but of course that doesn't mean that she doesn't consider herself an Anglican). Also a lot of the criticism and secondary reading that I've come across seems to alternate between the two some seems to discuss "Protestantism" and some "Anglicanism".
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anglican is the adjective pertaining to the Church of England.

Protestant can be used to describe the churches which broke from Rome during the Reformation.

Within the Church of England, you may find a variation as to views on the Catholic Church - some will be "leaning" more towards Rome but others away from it more.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Another question, somewhat related:

Did the Anglicans also hold the view that virginity is sacred and women must remain virgins for Christ etc?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miraclefish)
    One's 11 points in Scrabble and the other is 12.
    Best response ever!:ahee:
    • 23 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel0n)

Thaaaaanks
    In the 16th century, there were a few Reformations leading to a few different types of protestant church. Anglicanism is the English branch and is very similar to Catholicism in many respects (or, at least, it was at the time). There were other reformations leading to Lutheranism, Calvinism, Anabaptism and others.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 4, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.