The Student Room Group

Scratched a company car, what to do?

Well I was going home from school today and accidentely scratched a car whilst I was reversing out. The lady was in her car at the time as she was picking up her daughter. She took down my details and I apologised and also took down her phone number. I wasn't quite sure what to do as my dad's out of the country at the moment and I'm insured under his policy. My friend advised me to call her up and to see if we can resolve the issue without going to the insurers, but she told me that she it was a company car and that her employer will be getting in contact with me about it. What happens when a company is involved? Does it go straight to an insurer or will I get the chance to pay the company for the damages caused? Thanks!
Reply 1
Scratch it on the other side in the same place to make it symmetrical.
Reply 2
Hire an assassin. Problem resolved.
Reply 3
You should have just driven off! Idiot...
Original post by Sadsnail

If she was in the car at the time she probably would have taken down OP's registration number as they drove off...

Also not particularly honest.
Reply 5
Original post by Persephone9
If she was in the car at the time she probably would have taken down OP's registration number as they drove off...

Also not particularly honest.

Tbh in the heat of the moment she wouldn't have had time to write down the registration or memorise it. Also, now OP will either get ****ed through his insurance company. Company car owners will be *******s and rinse you for every penny!

Do you not understand that it's illegal to do that? I'm not that much of an idiot to be a criminal
Tbh in the heat of the moment she wouldn't have had time to write down the registration or memorise it. Also, now OP will either get ****ed through his insurance company. Company car owners will be *******s and rinse you for every penny!

It's entirely possible that she would have seen the number plate and written it down on her phone something. The daughter could have done the same (depending on age obviously). Outside schools at home time isn't usually somewhere you can make a quick getway either, so OP could have ended up stuck in a queue, with their registration visible to this woman. Then the OP could still get caught, and would have committed a crime in driving off without attempting to swap details (they're unlikely to get charged given that it was minor but it is still illegal).

Yes, their insurance probably will go up. Having accidents is a risk of owning a car and driving it around. It's unfortunate for OP that this has happened, but I doubt they'd be very impressed if someone scratched their car, and did the right thing by owning up to it.
Reply 8

I think we've all identified the real idiot in this thread.
Reply 9
Original post by JC.
I think we've all identified the real idiot in this thread.

oh yah clearly.
Original post by chunderseverywhere
Well I was going home from school today and accidentely scratched a car whilst I was reversing out. The lady was in her car at the time as she was picking up her daughter. She took down my details and I apologised and also took down her phone number. I wasn't quite sure what to do as my dad's out of the country at the moment and I'm insured under his policy. My friend advised me to call her up and to see if we can resolve the issue without going to the insurers, but she told me that she it was a company car and that her employer will be getting in contact with me about it. What happens when a company is involved? Does it go straight to an insurer or will I get the chance to pay the company for the damages caused? Thanks!

If they are as nice as the mums company they will let you pay them directly for the damage repair, if they are not the worse that will happen is it will go through insurance and you will get a small bump in premiums and most likely lose your (dads) NC.
Ask the to get a quick estimation of the damage.
Also to send to estimation/ picture of damage. So you can go to a 3rd party to see if they are playing by the books and not trying to rip you off.

If everything goes to plan give them what they want.
Make sure you don't pay cash in hand.
If you pay with cash ask for a receipt or something so it proves that you have cleared your debt.
Reply 12
oh yah clearly.

People who think like you are exactly the reason why insurance is so high these days.
Reply 13
Original post by her0n
People who think like you are exactly the reason why insurance is so high these days.

Apart from the fact I have 3 years no claims and I am actually a very good driver. Of course :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending