Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Is it "grim oop North"?

Announcements Posted on
    • 60 followers

ReputationRep:
    Woad + kestrels + serial killers... what is not to like ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Live in the midlands you get best of both worlds.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    depends where you up north doesnt it theres going to be some very nice towns up there aswell as ungodly **** holes ... same as the south such as Slough, Luton etc. :rolleyes:
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was in the south of England for the first time this month, albeit for one day. I was struck by how clean it was.

But I discovered rough people are definitely not confined to the north. Yikes.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    **** areas in the South
    **** areas in the North

But Newcastle is superior to everything. :yy:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TM94)
    **** areas in the South
    **** areas in the North
    But Newcastle is superior to everything. :yy:
    :yep:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I find living in Manchester a lot less stressful than when I lived in Brighton, but I think that might just be due to familiarity.

The weather is pretty **** though on the whole. I wouldn't say the people are friendlier but they are more genuine.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    Burkhas in lancaster? It's a rare sight. Me thinks that you are making things up.
    No, there was a group of ~8 Muslim women who I always saw near the town center in Lancaster dressed head to toe in burkhas.

I lived there for 3 years inc one year slap bang in the center of town, no point pretending that the north isn't infested with muslims, because it is. There is nothing English about the north of england, it's just new Pakistan. Enjoy.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GiveMeAChallenge)
    There's hardly much of a difference between the weather in the north of england compared to the south...
    LOL?

I've lived in Lancaster and three cities in the south. The difference between the latter three and Lancaster were immense, maybe you think Birmingham is in the south? :lolwut:

Sorry, been in both areas I know full well there is a huge weather difference. How often does Lancaster get clear skies and sunshine outside of July? I've had that weather for 10 days straight at the moment.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by restoration)
    Live in the midlands you get best of both worlds.
    oh yeah!

So anyway, Midlands > North > South.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    No, there was a group of ~8 Muslim women who I always saw near the town center in Lancaster dressed head to toe in burkhas.

I lived there for 3 years inc one year slap bang in the center of town, no point pretending that the north isn't infested with muslims, because it is. There is nothing English about the north of england, it's just new Pakistan. Enjoy.
    "infested"?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    "infested"?
    Oops, subconcious thought crime. Please don't send me to jail for 56 days please
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Oops, subconcious thought crime. Please don't send me to jail for 56 days please
    Not exactly subconscious.

What do you mean "infested"?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I live in Carlisle .. any further north, you'd be in Scotland. Carlisle was recently voted "the happiest city in the uk" ... Therefore the north, clearly isn't too grim.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm a southerner and I like the north a lot. Northerners are friendlier
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lake District is beautiful, I'm from the south and love travelling there to climb the mountains and see the lakes <3
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Far North is better than just the North IMO - Newcastle and Sunderland definitely have their dodgy areas, but overall Newcastle is a nice city, and one of the safest in the UK I'm led to believe (apart from the Bigg Market on Friday and Saturday night lol). Newcastle itself is nice, but some of the suburbs (Walker, Byker, West end) are a bit iffy. Compared to places like Sheffield, Leeds and Bradford, Newcastle is a great city to live in as they have far grimmer areas. I've never been to London, but I can imagine the east end is far worse than any Northern city as well. Regarding the comment about the north being un-English, London has a higher proportion of immigrants than most northern areas, but that doesn't bother me at all, though I recognise these areas have more social problems.

The main attraction of living in the north is the countryside - I'm posting this very message from the Lake District. When I'm older I might have to work in a city, but I'll definitely commute from the countryside if I can afford it, whether that be Cumbria or Northumberland national park or the Pennines.

Salaries aren't much lower in the north for professionals, but a larger proportion are working class and without a profession, and this has lead to a lower cost of living. For an engineer it would be silly not to live in the north as an engineer in London would often be strapped for cash on something like £40k, whilst an engineer earning that in the north would be reasonably well off.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sbapu)
    Where were the riots?
    Um, in many northern cities e.g. Manchester, Salford, Liverpool, Nottingham and Birmingham...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was born in the South, moved up to York, and now go to uni in London and I can say that (whilst I am a 'proper Northener') it's all the same wherever you go. There are nice, affluent areas in both the North and the South, but also horrible places.

I would say though that the national media is particularly interested in the South. An example is with the current 'water drought'. When it was first being discussed, the media made it sound like it would affect the whole of the country - when actually, it only affected the South.

I also think that the people are nicer in the North :')
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pogiberto)
    North kicks the South's ass anytime- just not economically
    There's only one way to find out...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 10, 2012
New on TSR

Single, dating or in a relationship?

Chat about your life and loves in our Relationships forum!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.