Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it "grim oop North"?

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    London has more ****holes than the North.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    No, there was a group of ~8 Muslim women who I always saw near the town center in Lancaster dressed head to toe in burkhas.

I lived there for 3 years inc one year slap bang in the center of town, no point pretending that the north isn't infested with muslims, because it is. There is nothing English about the north of england, it's just new Pakistan. Enjoy.
    Doesn't sound like Lancaster at all, they may have been in Lancaster but they probably weren't from Lancaster.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    The people up here are much more friendly - probably because we're united in our bitter resentment of the south

It's certainly greyer, but I'd argue for the north over the south anyday. Southerners are just a bit soft - or rather, the ones I have met are.
    This pretty much sums up the view of the typical northerner: hates southerners for no particular reason.

I'm guessing it's a bit of a chip on their shoulder?

(Most southerners don't share this resentment)
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    This pretty much sums up the view of the typical northerner: hates southerners for no particular reason.

I'm a northerner of southern descent - I don't resent the south
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Doesn't sound like Lancaster at all, they may have been in Lancaster but they probably weren't from Lancaster.
    Except they were there week in, week out.

To be fair to you, Lancaster is more English then many areas in the North. It's no coincidence that Galloway has won a seat in the North after winning one in east London. The north simply isn't English, no amount of spinning about your massive amounts of immigrants is going to change any of that. London isn't either.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Greggs sausage rolls get cheaper the further north you go.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The North's nicer. People are friendlier, part of it look a lot nicer too (Peak District, Lake District etc).

I say this as a southerner.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)
    The further north you go, the more friendlier people generally are.

That's about the only difference.
    This is so true. I thought people from Manchester were friendly; I went to stay in Newcastle for a couple of days a few months ago and I couldn't get over how lovely and smiley everyone was! (Although the accent does make everything seem friendlier so that could've been part of it...)
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    Except they were there week in, week out.

To be fair to you, Lancaster is more English then many areas in the North. It's no coincidence that Galloway has won a seat in the North after winning one in east London. The north simply isn't English, no amount of spinning about your massive amounts of immigrants is going to change any of that. London isn't either.
    Bradford, Blackburn and inner-city Manchester are lost causes I agree, but Cumbria, Northumberland, North Yorkshire, Central and West Lancashire, Derbyshire and parts of Cheshire are as English as complaining about the weather.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    Has the North been abandoned by a succession of politicians more concerned with the money making potential of The Square Mile and the South?

As as southerner I havn't ventured up north too often, but I get the impression that *some areas* suffer from a disproportionate amount of social deprivation, crime, poverty, failed multiculturalism, and welfarism.

Is this viewpoint totally without merit?
    The North is great, some really nice cities/countryside and stuff to do Some areas do suffer the problems you listed, as do some Southern areas. I love the North though, particularly being a rugby league fan.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Um, in many northern cities e.g. Manchester, Salford, Liverpool, Nottingham and Birmingham...
    Nottingham and Birmingham are in the Midlands.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:

This pretty much sums up the typical southerner - cannot grasp sarcasm :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaxxa)
    Nottingham and Birmingham are in the Midlands.
    They're north of Watford Gap services which is the traditional point between north and south
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GiveMeAChallenge)
    There's hardly much of a difference between the weather in the north of england compared to the south...
    There is actually a noticeable difference in terms of sunshine and rainfall, particularly comparing the NE and NW to the SE (sunshine/rainfall respectively).
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GiveMeAChallenge)
    There's hardly much of a difference between the weather in the north of england compared to the south...
    Well... we're not in a drought at the moment
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mufasaa)
    They're north of Watford Gap services which is the traditional point between north and south
    The midlands is a region in its own right, though. England isn't just north and south.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm from the Midlands (Birmingham), so we're basically slap bang in the middle. But as usually Midlands is the best!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaxxa)
    The midlands is a region in its own right, though. England isn't just north and south.
    It is a region, but it can be divided into north/south (basically every major town/city in the midlands is north other than Northampton (despite the name)).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Damn right it's grim up north, especially the immensely underfunded towns, but Manchester is still good when you weigh everything up - which is evidenced by the vast amount of Londoners/southerners working there.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanT)
    The north is awful. These people don't realise how grey and grim the area is. When I was living in Lancaster it was so grey everyday it really bothered me. If you like the sunshine stay the hell away from the north! :P

It's also about as English as Islamabad. Walking past people wearing burkhas, no thanks(!).
    pahahaha, you clearly took far too much notice of the horrible weather, the summer days are amazing, and you should have taken advantage of them and gone willy bobs or to heysham barrows

you have generalised far to massivly here, and i genuinly got bored of your post. iv been brought up in lancaster my entire life, and last year moved to plymouth. and genuinly i prefer lancaster to plymouth.

so much more friendly, and a nicer area to live i think.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 9, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.