Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it "grim oop North"?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're talking about Sheff's field, then of course not. Na just I guess like anywhere it has it's socially deprived parts and then the affluent parts! COME TO SHEFFIELD THOUGH 'TIS GREAT.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    As a southerner living in London, I love the north. Especially Northumberland. It is sooo beautiful. OK, it may be a couple of degrees cooler and cloudy skies are a more common site, but the countryside there is just stunning. Not to mention the awesome beaches and castles.

I love Northumberland. It's not as rich as London, but the history, scenery, friendly locals and beaches make it all worthwhile. The tea shops are lovely too.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I actually think the midlands is the grim part of England.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMeister)
    I do admire that you can espouse such **** without even caring. I mean, really, that takes balls.

As for the South, have they been to Newquay on a night out? or Tower Hamlets? Lambeth? Hackney? Southwark? bits of Portsmouth? large swathes of South Wales? parts of Bristol like St. Pauls? There are **** areas everywhere. Sure, the North has its bad parts - but they're not without their Southern counterparts.
    No - what I said was the hard truth which people refuse to admit either due to ignorance or denial.

Everywhere is not perfect and has its bad parts, but I am talking about one simple thing - jobs.
    There are very few in the North, and even less if you have a degree and want a career. Name me some major firms that are primarily located in the North and are not basic labour, but required a skilled & educated work force. BAE? Nope. Barclays? No. DSTL? EADS? Unilever? All have the majority, if not all of their offices.....down South.
    Without jobs, you have nothing.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand some of the accents, so that's rather grim for me. I'm just a pompous ass though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anywhere provincial is awful to live in. With all the focus on a supposed North-South divide, Wales and the ****ty West Country get left out of the debate. It's south-east, people.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    Has the North been abandoned by a succession of politicians more concerned with the money making potential of The Square Mile and the South?

As as southerner I havn't ventured up north too often, but I get the impression that *some areas* suffer from a disproportionate amount of social deprivation, crime, poverty, failed multiculturalism, and welfarism.

Is this viewpoint totally without merit?
    Most of London fits the Bolded parts. By some I mean most.
    • 68 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ehc)
    Greggs sausage rolls get cheaper the further north you go.
    So do subway prices, and also coke cans
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    No - what I said was the hard truth which people refuse to admit either due to ignorance or denial.

Everywhere is not perfect and has its bad parts, but I am talking about one simple thing - jobs.
    There are very few in the North, and even less if you have a degree and want a career. Name me some major firms that are primarily located in the North and are not basic labour, but required a skilled & educated work force. BAE? Nope. Barclays? No. DSTL? EADS? Unilever? All have the majority, if not all of their offices.....down South.
    Rolls Royce? (Derby's not that North but we'll claim it for the purposes of this ) Halifax? Most of the BBC now? BAE undertakes a lot of sub building work up North. No there aren't as many as down South but there are some big companies.

In terms of grad level jobs Leeds is the second biggest centre for the financial and legal industries in Britain. Yes, there are more companies down South but London is one of the world's 'supericities' so it's fairly inevitable that will be the case.

And the more Southerners think it's grim that's fine by me, I'm happy enough paying 600k for a farmhouse in the Dales which would cost me more than twice that in the Cotswolds and with half the commute to boot. If you ever do clock on to the fact it isn't really 'grim up North' I'm going to have to fork out a lot more to live there, so I'm not going to try too hard to change your minds!

Disclaimer: My actual hometown is a total ****hole but I'm not sure if it's any more so than Croydon.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well my Dads from Durham and my Moms from Hartlepool, my sisters 10 years older than me and grew up in Cambridge before we moved to Southend-on-Sea in Essex (less than an hour away from London on train) where I grew up! Im moving to Newcastle Uni in 6 months (hopefully) and cant wait Honestly dont get why people have this north-south divide stigma, youre gonna get pricks wherever you go, as well as equally nice people. I have to say that im a bit sick of Essex, where most people i know are very much like the only way... Really liked the look of Newcastle, nice countryside, my roots etc Whereas Ive found London slightly too big on nights out, might be better when I get a bit older and can handle my drink better ^^
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KCosmo)
    Haha, "the north" I'm not laughing at the place, just that living in Scotland, it's strange to hear it referred to as that.

I feel like Scotland must be thought of as Skyrim or something
    :laugh:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    Rolls Royce? (Derby's not that North but we'll claim it for the purposes of this ) Halifax? Most of the BBC now? BAE undertakes a lot of sub building work up North. No there aren't as many as down South but there are some big companies.
    Rolls-Royce headquarters: London. Their marine work is also 80% down South
    BAE do build one type of sub up north.....out of the hundreds of things they do. How lucky are the North ! :rofl:
    ...and BBC is still mainly located in London

In terms of grad level jobs Leeds is the second biggest centre for the financial and legal industries in Britain. Yes, there are more companies down South but London is one of the world's 'supericities' so it's fairly inevitable that will be the case.
    Not just London, but everywhere around London as well. Many firms are located in Cheltenham, Cambridge, and in Hampshire & Kent areas. And I am not talking about a few, but sometimes half a dozen in one town.

And the more Southerners think it's grim that's fine by me, I'm happy enough paying 600k for a farmhouse in the Dales which would cost me more than twice that in the Cotswolds and with half the commute to boot. If you ever do clock on to the fact it isn't really 'grim up North' I'm going to have to fork out a lot more to live there, so I'm not going to try too hard to change your minds!

Disclaimer: My actual hometown is a total ****hole but I'm not sure if it's any more so than Croydon.
    ...but good look being able to get a job that will allow you to buy a house half of that value :rolleyes: Plus, I am not Southern.

(Original post by Crawfords)
    Well my Dads from Durham and my Moms from Hartlepool, my sisters 10 years older than me and grew up in Cambridge before we moved to Southend-on-Sea in Essex (less than an hour away from London on train) where I grew up! Im moving to Newcastle Uni in 6 months (hopefully) and cant wait Honestly dont get why people have this north-south divide stigma, youre gonna get pricks wherever you go, as well as equally nice people. I have to say that im a bit sick of Essex, where most people i know are very much like the only way... Really liked the look of Newcastle, nice countryside, my roots etc Whereas Ive found London slightly too big on nights out, might be better when I get a bit older and can handle my drink better ^^
    It goes far beyond people aka money and jobs. This is the problem with the North. It may look nice, but the quality of service from the NHS to your council is less than that in the South along with job prospects.

(Original post by Crawfords)
    It goes far beyond people aka money and jobs. This is the problem with the North. It may look nice, but the quality of service from the NHS to your council is less than that in the South along with job prospects.

(Original post by karateworm)
    Liverpool is a wonderful city, my girlfriend goes to Uni there I love the city.

Ahahahahahahaha......hahahahaha.
    Sorry, but just explain what is so wonderful about that **** hole of a dying city?
    Is it the rapidly declining population?
    The fact that making a simple road will be delayed by 4 years?
    Maybe it is that you can not leave the city centre without going through a neighbourhood where most people will be looking to punch you "'cause mate"?

Or (and this is straight from googlemaps):
    Spoiler:
    Show

• 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Jimbo1234;36941637]Rolls-Royce headquarters: London. Their marine work is also 80% down South
    BAE do build one type of sub up north.....out of the hundreds of things they do. How lucky are the North ! :rofl:
    ...and BBC is still mainly located in London

Rolls Royce HQ is in London, but their traditional home and where they still employ a huge number of people is Derby, hence Trent engines. Just remembered Morrisons and Asda, both of which are FTSEs headquartered up north (Bradford and Leeds respectively).

Not just London, but everywhere around London as well. Many firms are located in Cheltenham, Cambridge, and in Hampshire & Kent areas. And I am not talking about a few, but sometimes half a dozen in one town.

Isn't Cheltenham's big employer GCHQ, which is state run? Cambridge has Silicon Fen. Also Cheltenham is not around London, it's nearer to Bristol.

...but good look being able to get a job that will allow you to buy a house half of that value :rolleyes: Plus, I am not Southern.

My parents managed. Several of my friends have, or will have, grad jobs which will lead to it (doctors, barristers, accountants etc.).

I'm not saying the South's bad at all, several of my graduating friends are heading for the City and jobs restricted to the capital (advertising, IB etc.) nor that the the North doesn't have social problems, areas of high unemployment etc., just that the North isn't all grim in the same way that the streets of London are not all, metaphorically, 'paved with gold'.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sbapu)
    Where were the riots?
    london, birmingham, manchester
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)
    The further north you go, the more friendlier people generally are.

That's about the only difference.
    Not from my experience, I found very little difference in the way people look at you/approached you/talk to you.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    My parents managed. Several of my friends have, or will have, grad jobs which will lead to it (doctors, barristers, accountants etc.).

I'm not saying the South's bad at all, several of my graduating friends are heading for the City and jobs restricted to the capital (advertising, IB etc.) nor that the the North doesn't have social problems, areas of high unemployment etc., just that the North isn't all grim in the same way that the streets of London are not all, metaphorically, 'paved with gold'.
    But times have changed a lot from when your parents were looking for jobs. My parents past is so far removed from today that it comes across as a foreign country, and as I have mentioned before, all of my successful friends have had to move south.
    The one thing the south offers is the possibility of a future. Up north you would get an average to poor job at best with no room for promotion. Down south, many firms are expanding rather than closing down, thus you have a possible future.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    But times have changed a lot from when your parents were looking for jobs. My parents past is so far removed from today that it comes across as a foreign country, and as I have mentioned before, all of my successful friends have had to move south.
    The one thing the south offers is the possibility of a future. Up north you would get an average to poor job at best with no room for promotion. Down south, many firms are expanding rather than closing down, thus you have a possible future.
    The industry/profession my parents work in has been, and always will be, one in which well paid jobs will be available around the country all the time, as people will always pay for the service they provide above virtually all else.

I'm not saying the South won't continue expanding (things like silicon roundabout are great schemes) but I'm not sure how much expansion potential there is in its main economic driving force of recent times, financial services (along with associated work such as consulting and commercial lawyers). Whereas the North offers attractive opportunities to business, in terms of paying lower salaries and overheads, due to the economic devastation it suffered during the 80s, something which is particularly pronounced in my home town which depended hugely on mining and is now enjoying regeneration.

And I'm sure solicitors at Walker Morris or Cobbets, accountants at PWC or KPMG, doctors at St. Jimmy's or the MRI, people who are involved in the two Manchester football clubs, BBC news staff, senior management at the Morrisons and Asda etc. would be a bit miffed if you described there job as average to poor at best. Obviously compared to running a hedge fund or private equity firm the money is still poor, but not everyone in London is working for Permira.

I'm not saying the North's going to be turned into one massive Alderley Edge or Harrogate, but it does have potential for growth in my opinion.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Lymm's only 12 miles away from Manchester, just so you know
    Only 12? You can see it from my school but I guess my educated guessing was too big
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I live near 'Channel 4s Worst Place to Live' (Middlesbrough) and I love it - everyone is friendly, countryside is gorgeous - I wouldn't fancy walking round the town centre at night, but that's the same in any big town/city regardless of whether it's Northern or Southern. Northern accents are nicer too
    As for being grim, come up here and you won't need to ask - it's lovely.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

It's not ignorance or denial. The South just like to think that a job can only ever entail the wearing of a suit, an office and a train journey at 9 and another at 5.

In the Greater Manchester region alone we have: Kellogg's, AstraZeneca, the Co-Operative group, Google, the Guardian Media Group, McVitie's, Manchester Airport group, the two major football teams, the Peel Group, PZ Cussons, the BBC, Renovo Pharmaceuticals, Thomas Cook, Umbro, Warburton's, Siemens, Network Rail, KPMG, many architectural firms like Ian Simpson and BDP, many leisure and tourism-focussed groups like Britannia Hotels, JJB, Heinz, RBS and ITV among others.

In the Leeds area we have: ASDA, Arla Foods, Yorkshire Bank, Optare, Leeds Building Society etc.

Liverpool has JLR at Halewood, Cumbria is the target of £500m worth of investment by GSK, Sunderland has the Nissan plant, Newcastle has Greggs, Bellway Homes, Ubisoft and many off-shoot offices of Whitehall departments such as the DWP and HMRC. And we do have BAE by the way, yes, the Woodford site closed down recently, but there's still the Barrow, Salmesbury, Brough and Warton plants/sites. Airbus also has a plant at Broughton - the wings for the A380 are built there. Ok, we don't have DSTL or EADS but the only reason they are in the South is because of geographic proximity to either government or the Continent.

I've only named the ones here that people recognise. Due to the fact that industries and companies have bases in the North, the region is instrumental in the maintenance and growth of these sectors. And, may I add, I was actually going to apologise for going a bit over the top before but your suggestion that all jobs in the the North are either unskilled or "basic" (whatever definition that is rendered with, I shall and want remain entirely ignorant of) is, at best, insulting.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: June 9, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.