The Student Room Group

Chance of getting into Oxford/Cambridge/Warwick

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kevin6767
Warwick really isn't one of the best law schools out there.

:rofl:

Good joke.
Although those uni's would expect perfect results anyway, they would welcome the fact that your A Level results show that you have improved.

If you got 4 A's at AS I would be very surprised if Warwick rejected you, with Oxbridge it all just depends on the interview and admissions test tbh.
Reply 22
Y u got Warwick and Oxbridge in the same sentence? Obviously everyone with straight As can get into Warwick, even I got in.
In no real order I would put:
Oxford
Cambridge
Durham
Kings
Birmingham
York
UCL
LSE
Bristol
Nottingham

I know it divides opinion to put York in that list as its law school is relatively new and people would raise an eyebrow over me saying it as I am a student at York. However it has already been put in the number 2 slot in the Sunday Times higher education guide and the companies I am dealing with at present are constantly pushing to represent themselves at more events because of its portfolio program. My top 15 would include Warwick but my uncle is currently a visiting professor at the department and says it is desperately underfunded compared to other programs there. I have nothing against Warwick and was offered a place on a politics program there but often its maths and economics departments carry its reputation.

That's interesting. I was arguing recently in the Law forum that Nottingham had the edge over Warwick, though I don't think the difference is that great.

Based on all I've heard I stick to my guns that Warwick is pretty up there - that's what I've heard from people in the know. However, I like to hear alternate opinions when they seem informed and substantiated, so it's interesting to hear a slightly different perspective.

I know it divides opinion to put York in that list as its law school is relatively new and people would raise an eyebrow over me saying it as I am a student at York. However it has already been put in the number 2 slot in the Sunday Times higher education guide.

I thought law league tables were pointless :lol: seems like you use them when it suits you. Newcastle topped that table by the way, yeahh Newcastle is better than Oxford, Cambridge and LSE.

I wouldn't even neccessarily disagree with your top 10 ranking for Law. But please justify why York warrants a place in it? The point about 'firms wanting to recruit' there doesn't really mean much, considering pretty much every top 20 law school gets regular visits from the top city firms.
(edited 12 years ago)
They largely are but i was being lazy and went to dinner as I was typing:P Why do I need to justify York more than the others? But if you insist my argument remains largely unchanged. York's course was constructed with consultation of the Inns of court, local and small scale national firms as well as magic circle firms and a range of other professions. The course was constructed to meet their desired qualities. Many firms take an interest in York's course because it is portfolio based, while there are exams and coursework students have work they present to firms. The portfolio is extensive and the vast majority of students do some work with York's student law whereby they offer free legal advice to students, staff and the public. Few law schools offer such work experience as part of the course. Because of its practical nature and subsequent desirability by legal firms I would argue for it to be in the table. Feel free to disagree but the course was constructed over 6 years of research and consultancy and the employment levels speak for themselves. Those in the list were a personal list constructed when I considered law school and were the product of reputation, course content and general comfort for me personally as to where I could live. In the end cancer put pay to the idea of going to law school but I am happy on my current course, especially as York are letting me take human rights law modules next year.

Ok fair enough. I only brought it up, because I'm sceptical that within three years or so, York can be considered to be in the top 10 for Law, However I see your thinking behind it now and can see your point. I would personally factor in the difficulty to gaining admission into universities when discussing the 'elite' law schools since whilst this is largely irrelevant, it does indicate the calibre of applicants applying. The likes of Leicester typically give offers to anyone predicted AAA, even if its coupled with a piss poor personal statement.
York ask for AAA but they interview everyone and from what I have heard from the girl in the flat above me it is a very painful experience. I take your point about the calibre applying but I would have thought the interview would be the deciding factor, as far as i know York don't offer places without interview first for law.

Yeah, I wasn't really referring to York, more the likes of Leicester and more recently Manchester and Birmingham. York is a great university, I just never placed it's Law program as one of its best. From what I've been told by friends, the interview isn't as rigorous as Cambridge/Oxford and is just largely to see whether you'd be able to learn in their unique teaching style. I don't know of anyone who was rejected post interview..
Reply 27
I think trying to define a top 10 of 'prestige with firms' to be honest is a hiding to nothing, because each firm's training partner and HR bods will have their own personal prejudices which will come into play which we don't know about.

For example at Leicester A&O target us a, to be honest, inexplicable amount. Now, this is great for us, but why? For all we know it's because the training partner's son or daughter came here or they heard from a niece or nephew that they loved it and the teaching was great.

Equally it can work the other way. If the training partner or HR person, or their offspring, got rejected from a certain uni they will always harbour a bias against there. Or if their child had a crap time at that uni, dropped out and they blame the uni. I remember doing a campus tour with a guy who was a solicitor at Wragges, there with his daughter on a medical open day, he was chatting to me to get away from all the dissection talk/hilariously pushy parents and said that he'd really enjoyed it and liked the uni himself, suddenly he's got a bit of prejudice in the uni's favour which he might take into any recruitment.

You just have to hope that when you apply the HR bod, training partner, partner interviewing and all their extended family attended your uni and loved it :tongue:
Original post by sexbo
Y u got Warwick and Oxbridge in the same sentence? Obviously everyone with straight As can get into Warwick, even I got in.

OP doesn't care. He wants to get in Woxbridge
Original post by FinalMH
Never heard of it unless you mean LSE?

Haven't you heard of a typo error?
Reply 30
Original post by Luke Williams
Hello there,

What do you guys think about:

A*AAAABBBC - B and C in science. If wishing to study for Law.

This amassed with AAAA at History, Geography, English Lit and Politics.

Extra-Curricular of DofE, Mock Trial, Debating, Model UN, Volunterring etc.

Would i stand a reasonable chance of Oxbridge, and which one, due to my GCSE results would be most promising.

Thanks

I think your GCSE grades are quite low BUT there have been many people who have received offers with just 1a* so by no means feel discouraged. Particularly if you go to a crap school- it might be the case that your grades re pretty high compared to the rest of the year?
If you were to do very well in your ASs, then that could very well offset your GCSE grades and try hard to get good predicted grades too. Let's say you got four As at AS, all over 90 UMS and subsequently got four A* predicted grades, I think the admissions tutor would happily ignore what may appear to be relatively low GCSE grades. I'm not saying that's necessary haha but you know, try and do your best.
Also another part you could start working on now is wider reading/exploration into the subject. Do work experience in a barristers chambers and do some reading to get a grasp of the more academic/philosophical side of law. This will be Gold dust to a tutor, since it shows you have passion for your subject too.
In terms of extrac-curriculars, I would stress mock trials/debating/model UN much more than DofE and volunteering (good but think about transferable skills relevant to the degree course)

Good luck but remember there are other great places to do law too!
Original post by Ocassus
Don't listen to the unmitigated morons claiming you have no chance.

I have a B and two Cs amongst my GCSE lineup.

I still have an offer...

U have an offer from where??? :O???
Oxford on there website say they will accept 5 or more A/A* at GCSE.
Reply 33
Original post by CheekiiMonkii
U have an offer from where??? :O???

Click in the sig herpa derp.
Reply 34
Original post by Ocassus
Click in the sig herpa derp.

I can't see your sig, where've you got an offer from? Congratulations, by the way :smile:
From personal experience, I know a girl who got into Warwick for Law with ABC at AS Level and less than stellar GCSEs so I guess anything is possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending