The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cat_2002_12
Firstly that is totally untrue. I know a number of adults who function perfectly well in life but cannot add or subtract at all (and I mean AT ALL). Secondly that is incredibly offensive and I truly truly hope with an attitude like that you never become a teacher. If you were my kids teacher I would do everything in my power to make sure you got sacked

Apparently I'm not allowed to give you pos rep again. Just wanted to say this is a really good post :smile:
a) Thank God!
b) You have no idea how much she planned and I assure you that approach doesn't work with the majority of children
c) I recieved A* at GCSE. A in Maths, Further Maths and Physics A2s and recieved an offer to do Maths at Warwick amongst other universities. And my point is I am going to do everything I can to inspire every single one of my pupils. If you think teaching from textbooks is going to inspire them then you have no clue.

b) I'm pretty sure I do. I chat to her every now and then, and she admitted as much. That she hadn't planned her lessons for the last 30 years she was teaching, except for when Ofsted came (which we'd all know about, because we'd have some daft lesson) in order to jump through the hoops.

c) If I had £1 for every person who got 3A's at A-level and bombed their maths/physics degrees I'd be an affluent man. It means little I'm afraid dear. Where did I ever say I think teaching from textbooks is a good idea and that I wouldn't inspire my hypothetical students? Again, putting words in my mouth.
Original post by barnisaurusrex
b) I'm pretty sure I do. I chat to her every now and then, and she admitted as much. That she hadn't planned her lessons for the last 30 years she was teaching, except for when Ofsted came (which we'd all know about, because we'd have some daft lesson) in order to jump through the hoops.

c) If I had £1 for every person who got 3A's at A-level and bombed their maths/physics degrees I'd be an affluent man. It means little I'm afraid dear. Where did I ever say I think teaching from textbooks is a good idea and that I wouldn't inspire my hypothetical students? Again, putting words in my mouth.

I'm just glad for the pupils that it's me teaching and not you.
Original post by Stray_talk
I don't believe I mentioned I thought I was "special", just stated that I found Maths hard at school because of the way it was taught. It has been proven there are many different ways of learning and the "one fits all" doesn't work.

You don't need to mention it. It comes across in your post. Narcissistic personality disorder is pretty much an epidemic these days, so you're not alone.

And I would very much like to see this proof that there are many different ways of learning or at least an admission that you have just spoken out of your backside, please. Note carefully: a proof i.e. a causal relationship, not a correlation.
Original post by Suzanathema
Apparently I'm not allowed to give you pos rep again. Just wanted to say this is a really good post :smile:

Thank you :smile: I've tried repping your posts again too and couldn't. Sigh. I think I'm gonna stop reading this thread now though. My blood is boiling
I'm just glad for the pupils that it's me teaching and not you.

The number of logical fallacies you've presented as arguments in this thread is now bordering on the absurd, having well surpassed the laughable.
You don't need to mention it. It comes across in your post. Narcissistic personality disorder is pretty much an epidemic these days, so you're not alone.

And I would very much like to see this proof that there are many different ways of learning or at least an admission that you have just spoken out of your backside, please. Note carefully: a proof i.e. a causal relationship, not a correlation.

Possibly time to stop being an arse now barney.
Thank you :smile: I've tried repping your posts again too and couldn't. Sigh. I think I'm gonna stop reading this thread now though. My blood is boiling

LOL! Are you really angry? That is pretty funny, I wonder how you'll cope with all those naughty year 9's? He he he.
The number of logical fallacies you've presented as arguments in this thread is now bordering on the absurd, having well surpassed the laughable.

Such as... the fact I'm not going to give up on pupils who don't see a reason to try at the subject? Sigh.. Please give examples - I'm just dying to learn where I'm going wrong
Original post by Mr M
Possibly time to stop being an arse now barney.

Probably. I sometimes can't help myself. When it's this easy to wind people up it basically becomes irresistible.
LOL! Are you really angry? That is pretty funny, I wonder how you'll cope with all those naughty year 9's? He he he.

I'm perfectly fine with the naughty year 9s thanks very much for your concern

And you said I jumped to conclusions?
I refuse to engage in discussion with you any longer as you fail to see reason. You continue thinking the way you are, as long as it keeps you happy.
Probably. I sometimes can't help myself. When it's this easy to wind people up it basically becomes irresistible.

The bit where you suggested that anyone who can't add or subtract won't be able to dress or feed themselves was the only bit that got me. And I'm still reeling from that statement

EDIT: Btw please reply about dyscalculia and inclusion. Really interested in your opinions on that
(edited 12 years ago)
Such as... the fact I'm not going to give up on pupils who don't see a reason to try at the subject? Sigh.. Please give examples - I'm just dying to learn where I'm going wrong

You are young, naive and optimistic. And extremely passionate. That's fine, actually, it's admirable. I just wonder if you'll still have the same point of view in 1, 2, 5, 10 or 20 years time and will still be so enthusiastically trying to ram your world view down other's throats. You do know that there are many ways to crack a nut, right? And that your way is not the only way or necessarily the best.
You are young, naive and optimistic. And extremely passionate. That's fine, actually, it's admirable. I just wonder if you'll still have the same point of view in 1, 2, 5, 10 or 20 years time and will still be so enthusiastically trying to ram your world view down other's throats. You do know that there are many ways to crack a nut, right? And that your way is not the only way or necessarily the best.

I wonder what makes you authority on it all...
And you said I jumped to conclusions?
I refuse to engage in discussion with you any longer as you fail to see reason. You continue thinking the way you are, as long as it keeps you happy.

Lol, this is too good. Please continue "dicussing" with me, it's been a while since I've argued with someone who resorts to the tactics of a child in an attempt to "win" an argument.

I am not trying to ram anything down your throat and I am perfectly aware that textbooks can be brilliant resources. And I totally sympathise that people who don't try are extremely frustrating. I am just saying as a teacher you CANNOT only focus on the ones who want to try. Your job is to help everyone. And that is what I'm going to do.
I wonder what makes you authority on it all...

I think perhaps just being an easy-going, open-minded kind of guy. A bit of maturity helps too, maybe. I stopped thinking that I knew best and had all the answers at least a few years ago now. Here's hoping the same happens to you two gal's in the near future.
I think perhaps just being an easy-going, open-minded kind of guy. A bit of maturity helps too, maybe. I stopped thinking that I knew best and had all the answers at least a few years ago now. Here's hoping the same happens to you two gal's in the near future.

"lol".
Let's agree to disagree on many things.
I am not trying to ram anything down your throat and I am perfectly aware that textbooks can be brilliant resources. And I totally sympathise that people who don't try are extremely frustrating. I am just saying as a teacher you CANNOT only focus on the ones who want to try. Your job is to help everyone. And that is what I'm going to do.

See, this is where the naivety creeps in. Your job is to help those who want to be helped, as I said many posts ago now. Not everyone wants to be helped. You can have this little dream about going in and transforming the lives of every one of your pupils, but it'll remain just that - a dream.

Latest

Trending

Trending