The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

The Official Sussex FIRMERS 2012 Entry Thread

Scroll to see replies

I firmed Sussex last month and I completed the student accommodation thingy a couple of days ago :smile:

ALSO I applied for Law with Politics M1L1
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Original post by Ocean_Rox
Thanks for that, that's great info. What about TV reception? Is it true there is next to none? I'm thinking of bringing my TV anyway for my console and DVD's (if needed) but am I really going to miss TV?

I quite frankly don't watch television at all, so from my perspective, the lack of TV can be pretty good ---> less distractions :P

And even then, if you watch TV just for the series then you can find them online anyway :smile:
Reply 42
I haven't firmed Sussex yet but i'm visiting over Easter holidays and it will probably be my firm choice if I like the University as it's my only offer from an English University. BSc in Mathematics!

Is the accomodation given out on a first come, first serve basis? Or can I spend as much time as I like deliberating over whether I make Sussex my firm choice or not?
Reply 43
Original post by Negaduck
I haven't firmed Sussex yet but i'm visiting over Easter holidays and it will probably be my firm choice if I like the University as it's my only offer from an English University. BSc in Mathematics!

Is the accomodation given out on a first come, first serve basis? Or can I spend as much time as I like deliberating over whether I make Sussex my firm choice or not?

i dont know if its first come first serve but getting it in is likely to be advantageous, regardless if its just insurance they wont even consider you until all of the firm choices are allocated provisional accommodation or something like that,
Reply 44
Original post by Negaduck
Contrary to some of the other posts, the official Housing Office allocation process is not first come first served - http://www.sussex.ac.uk/residentialservices/faq/allocations

Jo
Reply 45
Original post by SussexJo
Contrary to some of the other posts, the official Housing Office allocation process is not first come first served - http://www.sussex.ac.uk/residentialservices/faq/allocations

Jo

Thank you, really helpful. ^^
Reply 46
Is it wise to request being put in an "international area" for accomadation if I'm from France. Will it make a big difference? As much as I love diversity, I don't feel the need to be seperated from everyone else seeing as I am also half British and hope to integrate easily anyways. Has anyone from within the UK put down "international area" on their application?
Original post by Lavished
Is it wise to request being put in an "international area" for accomadation if I'm from France. Will it make a big difference? As much as I love diversity, I don't feel the need to be seperated from everyone else seeing as I am also half British and hope to integrate easily anyways. Has anyone from within the UK put down "international area" on their application?

I myself am English but I'm living in Italy atm, (I've lived here for 12 years), I honestly don't believe it is necessary, there is such a large diversity of people at sussex anyway that I at least decided to put "no". Also, I think that international area is more meant for people that come from outside the EU.
Reply 48
Original post by georgemullens
I myself am English but I'm living in Italy atm, (I've lived here for 12 years), I honestly don't believe it is necessary, there is such a large diversity of people at sussex anyway that I at least decided to put "no". Also, I think that international area is more meant for people that come from outside the EU.

Very helpful. :smile: You're probably right. Thank you for the advice. What are you going to study?
Very helpful. :smile: You're probably right. Thank you for the advice. What are you going to study?

I'm going to be studying Law with Politics :smile:

You?
Economics with International Development :smile:
Reply 51
Going to be firming Politics and Philosophy within the next couple of days. I'm still a bit unsure about accomodation however. Does anyone know which rooms are the largest?
Reply 52
Original post by georgemullens
I'm going to be studying Law with Politics :smile:

You?

Anthropology and Spanish :smile: Im also undecided about accomodation and a little put off by the prices, yet after visiting the Park houses, am sort of prepared to pay a little extra. :s-smilie: I will probably put Brighthelm, Lewes Court, Park village and then Park houses, in that order. What about you?
Anthropology and Spanish :smile: Im also undecided about accomodation and a little put off by the prices, yet after visiting the Park houses, am sort of prepared to pay a little extra. :s-smilie: I will probably put Brighthelm, Lewes Court, Park village and then Park houses, in that order. What about you?

I myself put northfield, Swanborough, Lewes Court then Brighthelm. they might be expensive, but quite frankly, I don't want to share a bathroom with some other people for an entire year. but even then, you might chose the cheaper accommodation, but chances are, you'll probably spend that extra money on booze :biggrin:
Reply 54
I've firmed Sussex for Physics and on my housing application I've put Park Houses, Park Village then East slope but i really would rather not have East Slope but I need it to be cheap ish so...
Reply 55
Original post by Latem
Going to be firming Politics and Philosophy within the next couple of days. I'm still a bit unsure about accomodation however. Does anyone know which rooms are the largest?

i think lewes court rooms are a good size
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1HI4BMdPPs

i remember going to northfield and thinking wtf the rooms are smaller
swanborough rooms look massive http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNQxqMVi8e4
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by thefunktopus69
I just checked and I haven't -I think they said late March or something.

Yeah good luck to you to -how many you got?

My insurance is Kent -what's yours?

At the open day I got full 3G on 3, I may have even got H (the higher speed thing). 5 bars as well.

Hey there, I've got 3 Exams Edexcel French (plus an oral), Edexcel Politics and OCR F583 Economics.

I'm also re sitting my two AS economics exams in mid may, despite already being A's as I can hopefully boost my UMS for econ in case I get a bad grade in my final June Exam.

Oh and I've insured UEA Economics BSC at AAB

Ps what are the conditions for your offer from Sussex

:smile:

How about yourself
Original post by itrader
Hey there, I've got 3 Exams Edexcel French (plus an oral), Edexcel Politics and OCR F583 Economics.

I'm also re sitting my two AS economics exams in mid may, despite already being A's as I can hopefully boost my UMS for econ in case I get a bad grade in my final June Exam.

Oh and I've insured UEA Economics BSC at AAB

Ps what are the conditions for your offer from Sussex

:smile:

How about yourself

I have 3 A2 exams and 2 or 3 retakes depending upon a pending remark.

My sussex offer is aab -don't think there were any other conditions!

Are your firm and insurance the same offer??!
Reply 58
I just accepted Sussex as firm, I have NO idea on what to apply for accommodation! I need to have en-suite. Does anyone know what place has the biggest rooms? Or what place is most sociable (out of the en-suite places)

So excitied!!! :biggrin:
Reply 59
Original post by thefunktopus69
I have 3 A2 exams and 2 or 3 retakes depending upon a pending remark.

My sussex offer is aab -don't think there were any other conditions!

Are your firm and insurance the same offer??!

Hey

My insurance is ABB for Economics BSC at UEA, I had an offer from kent, was pretty good on my visit day there. What Subjects do you do btw ?

Did you go on an Econ visit day for Sussex?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending