The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

The Official Sussex FIRMERS 2012 Entry Thread

well everyone was saying in the applicants thread we need a firmers one so here it is, I've just firmly accepted them and going to do my student housing application in a min.. Law with business btw

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I firmed Sussex about a month ago, for BA Geography. SO excited to start :smile:

Also what are people thinking about in terms of accommodation?
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
i put down swanborough 1st the lewes court phase 2 and the other ensuites, east slope was dead last after the off-campus accommodation lol
Reply 3
My accomodation choices were - Brighthelm, Park House, Lewes Non Ensuite, East Slope, Northfield, Park Village, Lewes Ensuite, Swanborough, Stanmer Court, Off Campus

So desperate to get Brighthelm
Reply 4
Firmed Biology C100 :smile: let's hope we get the grades now. Does anyone know if Sussex is lenient in accepting those who don't make their offers?
Reply 5
I firmed a few weeks ago for Sociology and Cultural studies!
Sent of my housing application on Thursday for Brighthelm / Lewes Court ph 1 / Park Houses / Park Village / Lewes Court ph 2 / Swanborough / Northfield / Stanmer Court / Off campus with East slope coming in last.
Very excited nomatter where I'm put. Hopefully to meet a few of you guys too!
Reply 6
has anyone been able to find a generic timetable for any sussex course telling you how many lectures etc you will have in a week. i remember another uni i was researching months ago had one so you could see how many hours of structured lectures etc you had a week but i've had no luck finding one for sussex
Reply 7
firmed sussex last month for medical neuroscience! :smile: :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by mintaltoids
Firmed Biology C100 :smile: let's hope we get the grades now. Does anyone know if Sussex is lenient in accepting those who don't make their offers?

i think since their funding got cut hugely they're eager to get as many people as possible. and they're pretty laid back. you should be fine as long as you're not more than a grade off the offer imo
Reply 9
Original post by zeptobecki
i think since their funding got cut hugely they're eager to get as many people as possible. and they're pretty laid back. you should be fine as long as you're not more than a grade off the offer imo

would you be able to say any more about that funding comment or post a link so i can read up on it?
Reply 10
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8574080.stm heres some stuff about their cuts, old article, but they got hit quite hard basically. the more students they get the more money they get.
i dont think you should worry too much about your quality of uni experience being affected too much though, it all happened a few years ago.
Reply 11
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8574080.stm heres some stuff about their cuts, old article, but they got hit quite hard basically. the more students they get the more money they get.
i dont think you should worry too much about your quality of uni experience being affected too much though, it all happened a few years ago.

Will this dent the reputation or league position of Sussex ?
Reply 12

ohh shouldnt be too bad they've been steadily doing better recently for law which concerns me so it should be all good.
Reply 13
Original post by swbp
Will this dent the reputation or league position of Sussex ?

i dont think so, all unis had big cuts, dont worry about it. from what other students have said it hasnt affected the uni that much, apart from losing alot of staff. they'll get loads of money from the fees we're paying this year aswell.
I'm shortly about to graduate from Sussex and volunteer in the Students' Union Advice Centre. If anyone has any questions regarding the campus, accommodation, Uni life in general etc. then feel free to PM me. In my day I was a Park Village resident, for those who are thinking about Park Village as an accomodation choice but am also familiar with most of the others.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by brightonlad89
I'm shortly about to graduate from Sussex and volunteer in the Students' Union Advice Centre. If anyone has any questions regarding the campus, accommodation, Uni life in general etc. then feel free to PM me. In my day I was a Park Village resident, for those who are thinking about Park Village as an accomodation choice but am also familiar with most of the others.

what are you studying? how many hours of lectures/seminars etc do you have
I did Sociology as an Undergraduate and Law as a Postgraduate. As an UG, in first year my contact hours were around 8-9 per week. This consisted of 4 modules each with one 1 hour lecture and one 1 hour seminar per week. It was spread over the week with usually one day off (in my case, Friday).

In second year, it was similar although I had no days off as I had 10 contact hours. Some seminars moved to 2 hour format.

In 3rd year I had 3 contact hours per week over 2 days. This consisted of one 1 hour lecture and one 2 hour seminar.

This new academic year coming (2012-2013) Sussex is switching its year format from the current of 3 terms consisting of 10 weeks with 4 week block holidays to a new system of 2 semesters consisting of 12 week blocks with 6 weeks in there of 'independent study'. So, next year's Freshers will have a completely new experience of not only year layout but also elective choices etc. Exams will be moving from Summer to January for everyone except First Years, who will remain in Summer (for LPS at least), due to my campaigning against it as I felt it posed a serious disadvantage for those who are new to the subject and would distract tutors from introducing students to the course adequetely and instead may shift the focus on ramming facts down students' throats to pass the exams.

I can answer questions relating to Law, Politics and Sociology as I attend all the department meetings as Student and Library Rep. All courses and year groups will be affected by this change but I only know the details specifically for LPS.
(edited 11 years ago)
Economics BSc -Still need to do housing thing though!
Reply 18
Wow thanks alot, and to think when I read about the changes I thought it didn't mean anything, I don't suppose you know anyone studying law with business as opposed to llb law, I've been wondering if law with business would mean extra modules on top of the law llb or if there would be a balance of some kind between law and business resulting in the same total number of modules
Original post by youngzwavey
Wow thanks alot, and to think when I read about the changes I thought it didn't mean anything, I don't suppose you know anyone studying law with business as opposed to llb law, I've been wondering if law with business would mean extra modules on top of the law llb or if there would be a balance of some kind between law and business resulting in the same total number of modules

The changes are quite big and have been controversial (people hate change!!), but if you haven't been used to the old system you're unlikely to be phased by it. The new system is in line with most other universities' year format.

I don't know anyone personally in their UG doing combined Law and Business but with Joint Honours Students (and I assume the same for Law and Business), they do the core modules in their 2 subjects and miss out on electives. So you'll be doing the same amount of work, just less choice in what modules.

Quick Reply

Latest