Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this a decent config

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just george)
    Drivers you really ought to keep up to date anyway, whoever built the pc in the first place. Future gpu upgrades shouldnt be a problem, they are all compatible with each other
    no i mean if i build it myself how will i find the drivers and the good drivers, and what type of motherboard would i need to do a future sli or upgrade the gpu instead
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smithsmith)
    no i mean if i build it myself how will i find the drivers and the good drivers, and what type of motherboard would i need to do a future sli or upgrade the gpu instead
    You get the mobo drivers on a disk with it, so you install them first. then you just download the latest gpu drivers from the amd or nvidia website..

For sli/crossfire you would need a motherboard with 2+ pci-e slots (pci-e = pci-express). sli=2+nvidia cards, crossfire=2+ amd cards. The motherboard specs would tell you which one it supports.
    If you just upgrade the gpu, then any motherboard will still support it. Although make sure its atleast pci-e 2.0 (if you get 3.0 even better, as it has more bandwidth so will be more future proof for new graphics cards (2.0 would still be compatible just might very slightly restrict the performance )) - dont think you'd find a mobo with anything less than 2.0 now anyway

Id probably say better to just stick with upgrading the gpu though rather than going for sli/crossfire. By the time you need the extra performance of multiple cards, a later generation of graphics cards will have come out that would use less power than sli and give better performance, for the same price as the extra card
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just george)
    "2+ pci-e slots"

thanks. what would be the function of the pci-e slots, will i be able to upgrade with 2 slots or would i need more or what
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    the pci-e slot is the socket the gpu plugs into

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l_102367682.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	139206

So if you have one, you stick in a gpu. if you then want to upgrade, you take it out and stick in a new one
    If you have two, you can run sli/crossfire, or just use one of the slots
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burgergetsbored)
    ah tbh I just priced up a few of the same components as you put in the top build and it came out at around £800 so not much cheaper really.

Mind if I got that right that graphics card came up at around £330?! Pretty expensive seeing as a £200- £250 card will run pretty much all the latest games out on high at the moment?
    A GTX 570 shouldn't be £330, you were probably mistaken for the GTX 580 (which is around £320 upwards atm), 570's are more like £210-£300 (£300 for a highly overclocked 2.5Gb version)

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 4, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.