The Student Room Group

Coming to Manchester as a lone postgrad!

Hi everyone,
I'll be starting a masters course in September and although I've applied for university accommodation, there isn't any guarantee I'll get any, so I'm on the prowl for private lets.

Does anyone know if there are any accommodation fairs or anything? It's quite awkward because I don't know anyone at Manchester. Lots of properties seem to be rented as a whole to a group of students...

Does anyone have any experience of starting a new university like this? Are there any good ways to get around this?
Thanks!
Reply 1
Manchester has absolutely no shortage of student properties available in the suburbs, and they're at affordable prices too, probably because there are so many to choose from.
This website has a list of private halls and people looking for housemates etc. It's run by the unis so everything is checked etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Aemiliana
This website has a list of private halls and people looking for housemates etc. It's run by the unis so everything is checked etc.

Thanks, yeah, I came across this website a while ago. I've arranged to see some houses with spare rooms going, but have no idea as to the other occupants... perhaps it's worth taking the chance providing that the location and rent are good
Original post by turkishdisco
Thanks, yeah, I came across this website a while ago. I've arranged to see some houses with spare rooms going, but have no idea as to the other occupants... perhaps it's worth taking the chance providing that the location and rent are good

You should be able to meet them before you sign up - not only do you want to know who you'll be living with, they want to know who they'll be living with too!
Reply 5
There are loads of shared flats up on Gumtree and so on that are rented by the room. I wouldn't restrict yourself to just living with students either. Some flats won't want a student because it won't work out council tax wise but this isn't always the case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending