Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Work Experience

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guyys,

I have ALWAYS wanted to be a vet, I have done loads of research into work experience and everybody seems to have more than me

I'm 16 and in year 11, please can somebody just tell me if I am on track?
    So far, I have organised (not completed all of these but they are definitely happening):

6 weeks at various veterinary surgeries (big and small)
    2 weeks at a kennel and cattery
    1 week at a cattery
    2 days lambing (with some help on the livery)
    1 week at a dairy farm
    2 weeks at a zoo
    Every other saturday morning at a veterinary surgery

I am trying to get more on a farm and with pigs and chickens and stuff........
    I am hoping to get 5A*, 5As at GCSE and I will be taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and German at AS Level.

I also row/cox, play the violin and am in a combined cadet force

Do I have enough so far, and is it broad enough, any advice that anybody can give me would be amazing

Thank youuu xxx
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scamppy0101)
    Hey Guyys,

I have ALWAYS wanted to be a vet, I have done loads of research into work experience and everybody seems to have more than me

I'm 16 and in year 11, please can somebody just tell me if I am on track?
    So far, I have organised (not completed all of these but they are definitely happening):

6 weeks at various veterinary surgeries (big and small)
    2 weeks at a kennel and cattery
    1 week at a cattery
    2 days lambing (with some help on the livery)
    1 week at a dairy farm
    2 weeks at a zoo
    Every other saturday morning at a veterinary surgery

I am trying to get more on a farm and with pigs and chickens and stuff........
    I am hoping to get 5A*, 5As at GCSE and I will be taking Maths, Chemistry, Biology and German at AS Level.

I also row/cox, play the violin and am in a combined cadet force

Do I have enough so far, and is it broad enough, any advice that anybody can give me would be amazing

Thank youuu xxx
    You're on the right track, make sure you get your grades and work hard at A level!

As for experience, it's not always about quantity, more about quality. If you worked in a veterinary place for 2 months but learnt nothing then that's useless, but if you worked in a veterinary place for a day and learnt a lot about the profession and how things work, etc, then that is more valuable!
    Make sure you can link your volunteer/work experience to things that will benefit you in the profession and mention what you have learnt/what skills you have gained during that placement.

Good luck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, that's really helpful x
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scamppy0101)
    Thank you so much, that's really helpful x
    thought I'd warn you, unless you're a pro or are going to work super hard for German I wouldn't recommend it if you're going for Veterinary where you need AAA in your other three subjects.
    I got full marks in German GCSE, and now am finding it hard, and intend to go for Med; i wish I had taken a different AS option where I know I can get a good grade, as I don't want it to affect my application, so consider it carefully!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh OK, I will have a chat to my German teacher about that.....i'm pretty good at German but it sounds pretty grim :L I took it because I enjoy it really :P

Good Luck with your application xx

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 7, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.