The Student Room Group

Scotland Yard Racism...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by najinaji
I don't know what the context is for this statement, but from what I can infer, this makes sense. It appears to be a statement about people who get in trouble with the law playing the 'race card'.
...I can't see the connection. :confused:
Original post by geraldbean
After reading the entire article, the police officer comments were incrediiiiiiiiiiibly offensive. What an idiot. But I don't think he should lose his job because of the abuse, there are plenty of other punishments (desk duty for instance, pretty bad if you ask me), but if after the assault is investigated, and there is truth in that, he should lose his job. It's a total abuse of power and there is no argument for that. The police are there to keep us safe, not cause us to fear abuse them.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/mar/30/police-racism-black-man-abuse?newsfeed=true

:lolwut:

The police are in a very special position of power - a trust thats given to us by the public and one that is essential for the well-being of society. They should quite rightly lose their job if they are found to act in such a offensive and disrespectful way to any members of the public.
Reply 42
almost died when i saw this thread
I don't know what the context is for this statement, but from what I can infer, this makes sense. It appears to be a statement about people who get in trouble with the law playing the 'race card'.
[video="youtube;03mMSnjxtYo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03mMSnjxtYo[/video]

0:45. It sounds to me like he's saying it in a markedly supercilious manner intended to provoke. Do you disagree?
Original post by internet tough guy
:lolwut:

The police are in a very special position of power - a trust thats given to us by the public and one that is essential for the well-being of society. They should quite rightly lose their job if they are found to act in such a offensive and disrespectful way to any members of the public.

Absolutely this :yep:

Shocked how blasé most of the people on this thread seem to be about it. Even in a high-stress situation, you wouldn't make racist comments unless you were actually racist. I find it strange how when girl in a reality TV show used the same word everyone was quick to condemn her, but for a police officer it's OK?! :lolwut:

Racism is completely unacceptable in any job, but even more so for such a position of responsibility. Using the 'n' word is completely unjustifiable. It brings the whole police force into disrepute and causes even more friction between the ethnic community and the police.
Reply 45
Original post by Arekkusu
Certainly, but you cannot underestimate the psychodrama of the rioting situation, which is a bit like a war. Emotions are running high, the police are aware they may need to use force they aren't used to using. They are trying to tread the line between necessary and abusive action while also trying to actually win tangible control. All this adds up into a massive stressor and the polarisation/dehumanisation inherent in the two sides in a battle doesn't help. That's what I mean by "how it is", and to me it means it's pointless making it into a big issue as it's not symptomatic of anything.

I am however surprised they don't have recording devices in the backs of police vans.

Reasonable point. But to be fair, he was arrested apparently he was arrested for "driving under the influence of drugs" not bricking the popo. I'd say that seems quite far removed from the riots, not least because in the pictures of the riots I saw, it was a mass of people flooding the street - certainly no room to drive.
Reply 46
Original post by whyumadtho
Personal opinions and emotions have absolutely no place in the emergency services.

lol.
I swear human beings run the emergency services not robots.
Reply 47
An ignorant Swansea University student racially abuses an ill football player = custodial sentence.

An on-duty police officer racially abuses a handcuffed youth = ...

'The CPS initially said charges should not be brought against MacFarlane because the remarks did not cause the man harassment, distress or alarm.'

I can almost gurantee the man will keep his job. Five-O gon take care of their own.

I'm just glad the guy recorded the exchange otherwise they'd be a lot of people denying that this sort of thing takes place. As a black youth that grew up in Hackney - I know for a fact that it does.
Reply 48
That word carries very negative connotations in our society. If a black policeman called me a white pig then I would have complained. This is a man who is supposed to be an unprejudiced arbitrator of the law and you dont think that he should lose his job for using a word that clearly shows prejudice on his part?
:confused: Why?

What, is it not reasonable to expect the police to refrain from giving racial abuse when dealing with suspects?
He said, "You'll always have black skin. Don't hide behind your colour."

I'm amazed that people are trying to defend and justify this. :indiff:

Zimmerman killed an innocent teenager and people are trying to defend him..its the world for ya!
Reply 51
[video="youtube;03mMSnjxtYo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03mMSnjxtYo[/video]

0:45. It sounds to me like he's saying it in a markedly supercilious manner intended to provoke. Do you disagree?

Hmm. It's definitely an interesting exchange. The policeman's comments still don't appear to me to be particularly racist though, barring the use of the word '******' (though the 'strangling' bit was pretty suspect). I think his statements could be interpreted as 'don't think you have to act this way because you're black' or 'don't pull the 'race card'', rather than 'I dislike you because you're black'.
Original post by Bonged.
lol.
I swear human beings run the emergency services not robots.
It is their job to repress their opinions and emotions to ensure they fulfil their job duties effectively and uphold the high standard of professionalism the public expects from them.
Reply 53
Original post by internet tough guy
What, is it not reasonable to expect the police to refrain from giving racial abuse when dealing with suspects?

I was arguing against this point:
Looter or not, we should all be treated with the same respect.

You don't honestly think that I think it's alright to go around calling people *******...?
Reply 54
It is their job to repress their opinions and emotions to ensure they fulfil their job duties effectively and uphold the high standard of professionalism the public expects from them.

Not relevant to the thread but if a yout is throwing rocks, nicking trainers etc I expect that they will at least give that yout a slap.

Problem being the public expects different things. I expect humanity from police, ambulance, fire.
So long as he didn't tweet it, he'll be fine.
Reply 56
Hmm. It's definitely an interesting exchange. The policeman's comments still don't appear to me to be particularly racist though, barring the use of the word '******' (though the 'strangling' bit was pretty suspect). I think his statements could be interpreted as 'don't think you have to act this way because you're black' or 'don't pull the 'race card'', rather than 'I dislike you because you're black'.

This. It must be incredibly tiresome to have people kicking off constantly shouting that you're racist etc because you've stopped them.
:confused: Why?

Being a suspected looter (not even sure if he was convicted) does not mean you are open to racial abuse.
Reply 58
Original post by original_username
So long as he didn't tweet it, he'll be fine.

:rolleyes: :biggrin:
Original post by Bonged.
This. It must be incredibly tiresome to have people kicking off constantly shouting that you're racist etc because you've stopped them.

"Your problem is that you'll always be a ******."

How can this be justified? This statement does not imply that anybody was playing the "race card." I dont know where you got this idea of everybody that gets arrested "shouting racism;" this is a pure assumption.

Quick Reply

Latest