Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need a new laptop or perhaps an new rig

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness in in to the final 16! The group winners battle it out for the overall title! 15-07-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    For the past 10 years, I'v owned almost about 8 laptops and 5 desktop pc lol, almost a new laptop every year.

Now my current laptop is falling pieces on me and I'm thinking of getting a new laptop or building a new rig.

My opinions below

Cons about laptop, overheating, ridiculous low battery life, high memory usage = crash.

Cons about pc, unable to relocate, (stationary), too much space is consumed,
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any recommendation of laptops will be appreciated

+rep
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gonna need more info than that. :/ The bare minimum I'd need to know to suggest a laptop for someone is
    1. what they're gonna use it for (e.g. gaming or just internet usage)
    2. their price range (no point suggesting a £500 laptop to someone on a £200 budget..)

Not sure why you go through laptops so fast. I recommend spending a bit more so that it lasts. My laptops have all lasted at least 3 years. :/

Also, laptops don't always overheat if they have a good cooling design and you look after it properly.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dropit)
    Gonna need more info than that. :/ The bare minimum I'd need to know to suggest a laptop for someone is
    1. what they're gonna use it for (e.g. gaming or just internet usage)
    2. their price range (no point suggesting a £500 laptop to someone on a £200 budget..)

Not sure why you go through laptops so fast. I recommend spending a bit more so that it lasts. My laptops have all lasted at least 3 years. :/

Also, laptops don't always overheat if they have a good cooling design and you look after it properly.
    Ideally less than or equal to £1200. Internet, presentation, multimedia (movies), office work, be able to run 20 programs without reaching to >90% CPU usage.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably better getting a desktop tbh, you get a lot more for your money and they're easier to upgrade and repair than laptops, unless you need to move it around a lot of course.

What sort of programs will you be running on it, just internet, multimedia and office apps? If so then you'll probably be able to build one that will cope just fine for about half your budget!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would always recommend a PC. Unless you specifically need to move it, but I would rather have a nice PC and a low budget laptop.
    Build yourself a PC, it's cheaper, good learning experience and it's not as hard as most think. Not to mention you won't keep changing it, if something brakes just replace the part, no hassle.

Desktop PC is more value for your ££, you can find really good deals. It has better performance generally as it has better cooling.

Just whatever you do DO NOT BUY IT FROM THE STORE. ESPECIALLY PC WORLD.

If you need any specific help in PC's my brain is at your disposal, just PM me.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewFolder)
    Probably better getting a desktop tbh, you get a lot more for your money and they're easier to upgrade and repair than laptops, unless you need to move it around a lot of course.

What sort of programs will you be running on it, just internet, multimedia and office apps? If so then you'll probably be able to build one that will cope just fine for about half your budget!
    Desktop is good but the fact that I work long hours, I prefer something flexible. I'm a travel person. Software's I can think of, are Microsoft, SAP, Powerpoint, Skype. I heard the Dell XPS 15 is good, what's your thought on this laptop?

(Original post by So Instinct)
    I would always recommend a PC. Unless you specifically need to move it, but I would rather have a nice PC and a low budget laptop.
    Build yourself a PC, it's cheaper, good learning experience and it's not as hard as most think. Not to mention you won't keep changing it, if something brakes just replace the part, no hassle.

Desktop PC is more value for your ££, you can find really good deals. It has better performance generally as it has better cooling.

Just whatever you do DO NOT BUY IT FROM THE STORE. ESPECIALLY PC WORLD.

If you need any specific help in PC's my brain is at your disposal, just PM me.
    Thanks, I do agree with PC are good in spec and value especially if it's built rather than off the shelf. What rig do you have in mind? I heard people overclock their CPU, is it worth to overclock? Surely that'll damage the CPU life span.

I'm looking forward to Windows 8 in October but I feel that their marketing is another cheesy thing that doesn't say the entire story. Meaning if a laptop said 3 hrs battery life (really it means low intense work).

Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourdigit)
    Ideally less than or equal to £1200. Internet, presentation, multimedia (movies), office work, be able to run 20 programs without reaching to >90% CPU usage.
    For that money/ wanted for multimedia, presentations and internet, I'd recommend a mac.

They have good battery life, fun OS, can last years and years (though you seem like someone who likes to replace good laptops regularly (I can't believe they only last a year if ya spend over £1000 on them!) )

The problem would be compatibility for office work, but you could either get windows on bootcamp, or get microsoft office for mac.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    For the past 10 years, I'v owned almost about 8 laptops and 5 desktop pc lol, almost a new laptop every year.

Now my current laptop is falling pieces on me and I'm thinking of getting a new laptop or building a new rig.

My opinions below

Cons about laptop, overheating, ridiculous low battery life, high memory usage = crash.

Cons about pc, unable to relocate, (stationary), too much space is consumed,
    Have you seen the MSI range of the Intel I5 processors.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-m...7-hp-bluetooth

Also check out the Hp Pavillion range and the latitude range.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hearty_Beast)
    For that money/ wanted for multimedia, presentations and internet, I'd recommend a mac.

They have good battery life, fun OS, can last years and years (though you seem like someone who likes to replace good laptops regularly (I can't believe they only last a year if ya spend over £1000 on them!) )

The problem would be compatibility for office work, but you could either get windows on bootcamp, or get microsoft office for mac.
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOL.
    Yeah if you wanna get ripped off, you can get laptops just as good for half the price if you scout around.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Desktop is good but the fact that I work long hours, I prefer something flexible. I'm a travel person. Software's I can think of, are Microsoft, SAP, Powerpoint, Skype. I heard the Dell XPS 15 is good, what's your thought on this laptop?

Thanks, I do agree with PC are good in spec and value especially if it's built rather than off the shelf. What rig do you have in mind? I heard people overclock their CPU, is it worth to overclock? Surely that'll damage the CPU life span.

I'm looking forward to Windows 8 in October but I feel that their marketing is another cheesy thing that doesn't say the entire story. Meaning if a laptop said 3 hrs battery life (really it means low intense work).

Thanks
    Look, for what you stated your going to use it for, I wouldn't bother with an expensive laptop. With your budget you can build a really good Desktop PC and get a decent laptop for when your on the go.

Personally my PC at home is what I invested and made powerful, I then keep an OK laptop for when I need to do work on the go. Stick to standards on the laptop i3/i5 processor, Intel HD graphics in the motherboard 4-6gb RAM etc.

This is a good one and just to show you how bad PC world is I will find one of the same brand and PC spec (or the exact one);

- PC World - HP Pavilion

- Ebay - Hp Pavilion

Nearly £200 difference and they're nearly exactly the same.

In reference to windows 8, Don't get it straight away. The people who buy it first are the people who buy the unfinished version. It will have a ton of undiscovered bugs etc that will get patched stick to windows 7 then get windows 8 when it's patched up and cheaper.

A decent desktop PC would probably be around:

Processor: You have 2 options i5 2500k or i7 2500k. i5 2500k is not as quick, but that doesn't means it's slow, it's super quick and it's up there with some of the fastest in the world at the moment and it's amazing value. i7 2600k is a bit better but i5 2500k does the job perfect, especially with the overclocking potential.

- i7 2600k - Link - £212
    - i5 2500k -Link - £160

Motherboard: Like I said, they don't make a noticeable difference, just make sure it's a Z68 board, they're superior currently with the new Virtu technology (uses the graphics card to help the processor work faster). Also Make sure it's a 1155 socket board so your Processor fits.

- AsRock Z68 Pro3 - Link - £87

Ram:Not huge difference between brands, just get 8-16GB of 1600Mhz. I prefer Ripjaw X;

- Ripjaws X - Link - £80

HDD/SSD: The idea here is you want to put the operating system and any editing software on the SSD so that you maximize the speed the software runs at. Other files and software should then be saved on a 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD. What this does is it makes the computer software run at the speed of an SSD without needing to waste money on a huge SSD. Don't buy a cheap SSD they very unreliable and often lie about their speeds and overcharge you. The best SSD in the market in my opinion is the Crucial M4 128GB or the OCZ 120GB, the OCZ is cheaper so I'll link that. Get another HDD if you use up the 2TB later on, 2TB will last longer than you think.

- OCZ Agility 3 - Link - £104
    - Western Digital 2TB - Link - £80

Graphics Card: Not much to say, they scale with how good you want them to bee. I would recomend a MSI GTX 560ti

- MSI GTX 560ti - Link - £170

Case: No questions asked get a Cooler Master Haf 912, at that price it blows everything out of the water. It's really good for cooling which is the most important thing. You need good airflow or your system will be choked and will fry. It has the best stock fans, best design and it's a solid built case with thick metal so it's not and keeps most sound in. With the motherboard I linked you can control the fans to adjust the noise too. Don't be afraid to get 2nd hand cases, it's a good way to save money and if they have decent condition they will work just as good as a new one. You can save like £20-£30 just doing that.

- Haf 912 - Link - £70

PSU: Not much to say, you want reliability and enough power, 600W will do the job.

- Corsair CX600 - Link - £53
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Look, for what you stated your going to use it for, I wouldn't bother with an expensive laptop. With your budget you can build a really good Desktop PC and get a decent laptop for when your on the go.

Personally my PC at home is what I invested and made powerful, I then keep an OK laptop for when I need to do work on the go. Stick to standards on the laptop i3/i5 processor, Intel HD graphics in the motherboard 4-6gb RAM etc.

This is a good one and just to show you how bad PC world is I will find one of the same brand and PC spec (or the exact one);

- PC World - HP Pavilion

- Ebay - Hp Pavilion

In reference to windows 8, Don't get it straight away. The people who buy it first are the people who buy the unfinished version. It will have a ton of undiscovered bugs etc that will get patched stick to windows 7 then get windows 8 when it's patched up and cheaper.

Processor: You have 2 options i5 2500k or i7 2500k. i5 2500k is not as quick, but that doesn't means it's slow, it's super quick and it's up there with some of the fastest in the world at the moment and it's amazing value. i7 2600k is a bit better but i5 2500k does the job perfect, especially with the overclocking potential.

- i7 2600k - Link - £212
    - i5 2500k -Link - £160

Motherboard: Like I said, they don't make a noticeable difference, just make sure it's a Z68 board, they're superior currently with the new Virtu technology (uses the graphics card to help the processor work faster). Also Make sure it's a 1155 socket board so your Processor fits.

Ram:Not huge difference between brands, just get 8-16GB of 1600Mhz. I prefer Ripjaw X;

- Ripjaws X - Link - £80

HDD/SSD: The idea here is you want to put the operating system and any editing software on the SSD so that you maximize the speed the software runs at. Other files and software should then be saved on a 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD. What this does is it makes the computer software run at the speed of an SSD without needing to waste money on a huge SSD. Don't buy a cheap SSD they very unreliable and often lie about their speeds and overcharge you. The best SSD in the market in my opinion is the Crucial M4 128GB or the OCZ 120GB, the OCZ is cheaper so I'll link that. Get another HDD if you use up the 2TB later on, 2TB will last longer than you think.

Graphics Card: Not much to say, they scale with how good you want them to bee. I would recomend a MSI GTX 560ti

Case: No questions asked get a Cooler Master Haf 912, at that price it blows everything out of the water. It's really good for cooling which is the most important thing. You need good airflow or your system will be choked and will fry. It has the best stock fans, best design and it's a solid built case with thick metal so it's not and keeps most sound in. With the motherboard I linked you can control the fans to adjust the noise too. Don't be afraid to get 2nd hand cases, it's a good way to save money and if they have decent condition they will work just as good as a new one. You can save like £20-£30 just doing that.

- Haf 912 - Link - £70

PSU: Not much to say, you want reliability and enough power, 600W will do the job.

Thanks! Looks really good, I'll read the reviews of the components too. Just curious, Cooler Master, I can understand the air inflow/outflow but if the graphic card is facing downwards, this means the heat would obstruct the efficient cooling especially when the PSU is on the bottom.

Any advice on such situation? I was shocked to hear CPU cost hundreds of pounds, a small thing! :O I could buy lots of 18" pepperoni pizza lol

Thanks again So Instinct, detailed information I'll post back later once I've finished some review specs
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zed963)
    Have you seen the MSI range of the Intel I5 processors.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-m...7-hp-bluetooth

Also check out the Hp Pavillion range and the latitude range.
    Thanks zed, it looks like a great laptop! I'll have to check the review on this.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

- PC World - HP Pavilion

- Ebay - Hp Pavilion

- i7 2600k - Link - £212
    - i5 2500k -Link - £160

- Ripjaws X - Link - £80

- Haf 912 - Link - £70

Might have been a while I've updated this, I just had the time to read reviews, etc recently today.

Though I'm thinking of 3930K Core i7 processor. What are your thoughts on this?

I heard great reviews about the graphic card, it's reasonable price, though it's unbelievable to believe a big card is worth less than a small chip.
    • 41 followers

ReputationRep:
    Might have been a while I've updated this, I just had the time to read reviews, etc recently today.

I heard great reviews about the graphic card, it's reasonable price, though it's unbelievable to believe a big card is worth less than a small chip.
    The new Ivybridge are only a small step up from sandybridge.

Look at the 7850hd which will kick the 560ti's down for £190 from sapphire.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

A 3930k is good if you run very cpu intensive multithreaded programs, you need high memory bandwidth (LGA 2011 processors have quad-channel memory controllers), and you need loads of PCI-e bandwidth (it has 40 lanes of pci-e) so good for running 3 or 4 graphics cards. If not, then a 3570k or 3770k would be a good choice for much less money (I have a 3570k myself, and it has more than enough performance for anything I throw at it)
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just to add:

If you must have a laptop - do not get a Dell XPS. They might be fine for some people but by your past I doubt they'll last 3 months. Definitely either a ThinkPad or a Macbook since it sounds like you need some top notch build quality

If you're going for the desktop, I'd add that the 3930k is massively overkill, go for the 3770k at the very most. For a graphics card I'd definitely go for the Radeon 7850 rather than the GTX 560Ti. Though if you have another £150 to throw into the mix then the GTX 670 looks to be one of the best cards ever released performance/price wise, it'll obliterate any game out nowadays (if you're into that kinda thing - if not then I'd stick with the 7850) and has other advantages in video conversion and media editing (and it should last several years with no need to upgrade).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.asuslaptop.co.uk/proddeta...5SL-V2G-TY071V
    Designed by bang and olufsen

new asus design- looks amazing, better than a mac in my opinion , especially with the silver trimming on the casing

GTX 635M is better than the radeon compared to benchmark tests

Its also on sale for £765 at asus website

Interesting fact: asus is more reliable than apple, and hp is seen as the least reliable
    [URL="http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/laptop-reliability-survey-asus-and-toshiba-win-hp-fails/"]

that 10 % increase from asus to hp is significant
    And this is expected when asus make graphics cards and motherboards

I wish i had waited for this laptop

Click to enlarge

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asus-n55sl-s2019v-core-i7-2670m-6gb-750gb.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	148981

Watch the whole video, ull see the mexican gringo moving it about at the end

What a beauty!!!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2012
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.