The Student Room Group

UCL Msc Economics 2012....Who is going?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
it depends on your budget. The cheapest is university halls. In private sector I see hard to find for a single person and 20 min away a flat below 900 pounds per month. That is what I've seen in some properties websites.

The neighborhood is so expensive!!!.....really expensive. For a half of the price you get a nice flat in Warwick for example.
Reply 141
even for the university halls there are no cheap and good ones..and in addition we can't select exactly which hall we want..so just indicate preference and let them allocate i guess..
did anybody hear back on the department scholarships?
Reply 143
Original post by OneManWreckingMachine
did anybody hear back on the department scholarships?

Did they shortlist your application for scholarships?
Reply 144
Original post by Econla
Congratulations!...I accepted through the portal. Yes it is your firm acceptance.

Thank you Econla, see you in September :smile:
Original post by Econla
Did they shortlist your application for scholarships?

I have no clue!! were they supposed to?? The website just said that all successful applications are considered for a few scholarships! Did they shortlist yours?
Original post by jansenkoh
even for the university halls there are no cheap and good ones..and in addition we can't select exactly which hall we want..so just indicate preference and let them allocate i guess..

I have done just that!
Original post by Econla
it depends on your budget. The cheapest is university halls. In private sector I see hard to find for a single person and 20 min away a flat below 900 pounds per month. That is what I've seen in some properties websites.

The neighborhood is so expensive!!!.....really expensive. For a half of the price you get a nice flat in Warwick for example.

Yes that is the only good thing of Warwick over UCL! but let's see... where r u planning to live in London? Where r u from?? :smile:
Reply 148
Yes that is the only good thing of Warwick over UCL! but let's see... where r u planning to live in London? Where r u from?? :smile:

I'm from southamerica and I'm looking for something no more than 30 minutes away in tube. What about you, where are you from?
Reply 149
I have no clue!! were they supposed to?? The website just said that all successful applications are considered for a few scholarships! Did they shortlist yours?

It seems like they use to let you know in your offer that you are also shortlisted for some scholarship.

In my case I just received the offer so I think I was not shortlisted.
Reply 150
Original post by Lalafell
Oh, my god... I so shock of such amerished statements

As a student at UCL for 3 years, I have good knowledge of the failure rate each year and they remain around 25-30% each year. Last year, there were only 10% of the people failed Maths and Stats test.

Economic reason to use AR model? are you joking again? As a rule of thumb. Simple ARMA model for forecasting short-run economic time series outperform any structural economic model. And tons of studies have shown that simple ARMA model outperform structural economc model in forecastign exhcnage rate movement, stock prices movement, interest rate, GDP and so on and so far.

How do people forecast US GDP next year? An ARMA process beats almost every structural economic models.

I don't know how far this topic has progressed but honestly I feel when u guys take facts to prove a point you leave out the single most important piece of information on purpose or something to prove your point. The key difference in the math exam between the 2011 class and 2012 class is that the former gave the exam in December (3 months into the 1 yr program) while the latter gave the exam just two weeks into the 1 yr program in September. Many master level students, aside from having a hetergeneous math background , also have taken many years off for professional work before coming back for their degrees. I just think its unfair comparison wo stating that. This explains a large part of the failure rate discrepancy, as most 2012 students weren't given enough time to get back into their academic groove.
Original post by Econla
I'm from southamerica and I'm looking for something no more than 30 minutes away in tube. What about you, where are you from?

I am from India!! Looking for some place at a walking distance!!!
U have any idea about the jobs now after Msc Economics from UCL? They have really strict visa norms for Indians atleast, especially now that there'll be no work permit immediately.... Do u plan to work?
Reply 152
I am from India!! Looking for some place at a walking distance!!!
U have any idea about the jobs now after Msc Economics from UCL? They have really strict visa norms for Indians atleast, especially now that there'll be no work permit immediately.... Do u plan to work?

Well, that is for every non european student, but I've been reading that companies are not struggling with this issue. They consider it just more paper work. Hence, now you need sponsorship or in simple words, to have a firm offer to work in order to get your visa as a "skilled worker". Before these new rules you were granted a permission to work for up to 2 years just because you finished a graduate degree.

Yes, probably I go to the industry, but I still have in my head a Phd :confused:, and for what I've been researching, a Msc in Econ from UCL is highly valued by recruiters since the rigour and the technical of the programme. I hope haven't poorly researched :smile:
Quoting Econla..

Yes I read the same about the tier 2 jobs! But the problem is to find a job... All the people I know who stay in the UK complain of the grim job scenario in the country and it is no hidden fact anyway.
I plan to take up a Phd too and maybe an Mphil too before that but not immediately after my MSc... :smile:
Your research is good you know.. UCL is well regarded.. Let's hope we find a job in the UK itself with that high pay package which serves the work permit's minimum requirements!! :biggrin:
Reply 154
Quoting Econla..

Yes I read the same about the tier 2 jobs! But the problem is to find a job... All the people I know who stay in the UK complain of the grim job scenario in the country and it is no hidden fact anyway.
I plan to take up a Phd too and maybe an Mphil too before that but not immediately after my MSc... :smile:
Your research is good you know.. UCL is well regarded.. Let's hope we find a job in the UK itself with that high pay package which serves the work permit's minimum requirements!! :biggrin:

Yeah, the scenario is not by far the best, but I if you move your pieces right, you can find something, maybe not in a superstar company but at least in a less known (also good) not so target by students.
Reply 155
Quoting Econla..

I also plan to work after my Master (though also interested in PhD studies) and my career goal is to get job in international organizations such as World Bank, IMF, etc. Do you have any information about the opportunities of getting into international organizations after UCL Msc Economics?
Reply 156
Original post by Econla
Well, that is for every non european student, but I've been reading that companies are not struggling with this issue. They consider it just more paper work. Hence, now you need sponsorship or in simple words, to have a firm offer to work in order to get your visa as a "skilled worker". Before these new rules you were granted a permission to work for up to 2 years just because you finished a graduate degree.

Yes, probably I go to the industry, but I still have in my head a Phd :confused:, and for what I've been researching, a Msc in Econ from UCL is highly valued by recruiters since the rigour and the technical of the programme. I hope haven't poorly researched :smile:

I also plan to work after my Master (though also interested in PhD studies) and my career goal is to get job in international organizations such as World Bank, IMF, etc. Do you have any information about the opportunities of getting into international organizations after UCL Msc Economics?
Reply 157
Dear all, I am to buy Pemberton at Amazon.com but it appears they have some problems with shipping it to my country. The same is for ebay. I have tried to find electronic version of the book but no results. Do you have any suggestions how I can get it? Also, is there much difference between first and second editions of the book?

Thank you in advance
Reply 158
Original post by Anva
Dear all, I am to buy Pemberton at Amazon.com but it appears they have some problems with shipping it to my country. The same is for ebay. I have tried to find electronic version of the book but no results. Do you have any suggestions how I can get it? Also, is there much difference between first and second editions of the book?

Thank you in advance

The difference is the last 4 chapters of second ed. Dynamic Optimization, metrics spaces, optimal control theory and intro to analysis.

I suggest you to buy the 2nd or third. Otherwise try with Simon and Blume or maybe Chiang.

P.S: If you search well the web, you can find links to download any book you need :wink:.
Reply 159
Original post by Econla
The difference is the last 4 chapters of second ed. Dynamic Optimization, metrics spaces, optimal control theory and intro to analysis.

I suggest you to buy the 2nd or third. Otherwise try with Simon and Blume or maybe Chiang.

P.S: If you search well the web, you can find links to download any book you need :wink:.

Well, I actually tried to do that but only got book preview with some pages omitted. Do you have a link? Can you post it? Pleaaaaaaaaaaaase:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending