Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Parents of murdered British students criticise Barack Obama

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rae_)
    Barack Obama mother is white and she was the one who raised him... So the race card shouldn't be in play
    It shouldn't be in play but it is

I think that Obama is probably a racist and an anti-semite. Cynthia K. Miller is a member of the Nation of Islam and she was the Treasurer of Obama's U.S. Senate campaign. Jennifer Mason was Obama's Director of Constituent Services in his U.S. Senate office and was also in charge of selecting Obama's Senate interns. Mason is also a NOI member. Shakir Muhammad worked for Obama state senate campaign, another person involved with Louis Farrakhan's NOI group. Obama's Pastor for 20 years, Jeremiah Wright, is basically a black nazi.

Why is he surrounded by all these nutty people belonging to racist organizations?

In "Dreams from My Father" Obama wrote: "I found a solace in nursing a pervasive sense of grievance and animosity against my mother's race."

From Dreams of My Father: "I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites."

When he read Malcom X's book, one line in the book really spoke to him and stayed with him: "He spoke of a wish he'd once had, the wish that the white blood that ran through him, there by an act of violence, might somehow be expunged."

On a Philadelphia radio sports program, he described his grandmother as a "typical white person" who fears blacks.

I think the way he handled the Henry Louis Gates arrest was racist. Without knowing any of the facts, he took Gates' side because he was his friend and because he was black. And it's deja-vous all over again with this Trayvon Martin killing.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Firstly there is the question, did Obama even see these letters? I'm sure the White house gets tons of mail everyday, from those criticising policies, asking Obama questions, asking for his comments etc. I assume there is a whole department to sort through them for anything legitimate, if they're not just burnt by default frankly. The letters may not have even passed by his desk. Anyway if he was to reply to every letter from grief stricken victims of crimes he'd be soon buried in letters.

Obviously there is the factor of the political situation. Two tourists being killed by some thug is tragic but...not exactly a nation wide issue, people are murdered all the time.

However the death of Tyson was more of an issue because of the huge damage to race relations it caused when the man responsible for the shooting was not even arrested. It's crucial for Obama, admittedly partly because of his own ethnicity, to ensure he does not seem to be supportive of a decision which has outraged many in the nation. He didn't exactly say "charge that white guy with murder!", he just said if he had a son he'd look like Tyson and it was on his mind basically. Safely neutral really, but it settles those in the community who think the authorities, and the up most authority in Obama himself, do not care about the seemingly racist situation of it all.

I don't know if David Cameron would write a letter of apology to an American family? Though I suppose with us having Prime Ministers questions each week, he would likely mention it and offer general sympathy at the start if it was a newsworthy story, as is often done when a tragic event occurs in the papers.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    I've never been caught listening to racist sermons at a black liberation theology church.
    first, doesn't mean you're not racist and you clearly are.
    Second, why would you be? You're a nobody.
    Third, that wasn't a black liberation theology church.
    If you took rush's goods out of your mouth and thought for a second you might not be so clueless.

You're sand. Ignoring.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hughcapet)
    When two British tourists are murdered in the USA, there's nothing to say that the American president has to make a public declaration about the murders, any more than the leader of another country would have to if the situation were reversed.

But when the parents of the tourists write to Obama, three times no less, is it really so hard for him to send the families a private message of condolence?
    Frankly, yes. It's very easy to view this incident in isolation. But you have to consider the number of people who will be clamouring for a response from the US President every single day he's in office. If he decides to respond to one that isn't politically relevant, he'll face questions on all of the others he didn't respond to.

As much as any murder is a tragedy, if we are reasonable about things it does not entitle the family of the victim to any special political treatment when the politician in question has no involvement in the case.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Roughly 15,000 homicides occurred in the US in 2010. If Obama took 'just ten minutes' to deal with each one personally it would have taken him a little over 5 months of the year to deal with it (assuming he works a 16 hour workday, 7 days a week and does nothing but deal with the homicides). Of course his office could simply have returned a stock letter of condolence - but we're probably talking way more than ten minutes to get that done and it's not like the White House doesn't have anything else to get on with.

I think the telegraph needs to find some less silly stories to print....
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If he commented on every single case of someone being killed, he would literally have no time to do his presidential duties. People are shot and killed literally EVERY DAY in America. A good amount of the people who do the shootings never get caught. Why would he decide to comment on this case when the person who killed them was caught and arrested? What's the point? The Trayvon Martin case was atleast justified by the fact that the police know who the killer is but he wasnt arrested.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Frankly, yes. It's very easy to view this incident in isolation. But you have to consider the number of people who will be clamouring for a response from the US President every single day he's in office. If he decides to respond to one that isn't politically relevant, he'll face questions on all of the others he didn't respond to.

As much as any murder is a tragedy, if we are reasonable about things it does not entitle the family of the victim to any special political treatment when the politician in question has no involvement in the case.
    I can appreciate that as the president, Obama will be inundated with letters every day, but murder is a pretty serious matter, agreed? I think he could be forgiven for responding to the homicides of two visitors to his country when their families asked him for a response.

Who's asking for political treatment? I don't know why the families wrote to him in the first place in all honesty, but as they have surely he could at least give them the courtesy of sending them a reply?

Obama didn't have any involvement in the murder of Martin Travyon, but he was all too eager to leap into what must look like a massive PR opportunity. I'm pretty sure Travyon's family didn't ask for Obama to stick his nose in, but that's what they got!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is like the Gordon Brown letter thing all over again...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can appreciate that as the president, Obama will be inundated with letters every day, but murder is a pretty serious matter, agreed? I think he could be forgiven for responding to the homicides of two visitors to his country when their families asked him for a response.

Who's asking for political treatment? I don't know why the families wrote to him in the first place in all honesty, but as they have surely he could at least give them the courtesy of sending them a reply?

Obama didn't have any involvement in the murder of Martin Travyon, but he was all too eager to leap into what must look like a massive PR opportunity. I'm pretty sure Travyon's family didn't ask for Obama to stick his nose in, but that's what they got!
    Murder is serious, but in a country the size of America, it's also remarkably common. On 2010 figures, that's 40 murders per day - over 6 hours of correspondence for the president every day if he were to take 10 minutes to respond to each one.

I don't think it would be wrong for him to respond, but I think it is wrong to expect a response and to criticise him for not isuing one. It is very easy to underestimate the sheer volume of serious matters that the president of the USA is going to be presented with every day. If you called him out on everything that is entirely deserving on a response but which does not get one, you'd be here forever.

I'm not sure it's productive to claim that because Obama acted in one way in one situation, he should respond in a particular different way to a different situation. I'm not condoning his response to the Travyon case - I simply don't know much about it other than that it is not this case.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Although my condolences are with the family I can understand why in a country of 300 million people the president did not reply too one murder out of many.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blu tack)
    Obama talked about Trayvon because there was a national outrage that the police hadn't arrested the murderer.
    The police have arrested the guy that killed the Britons, justice was served; what else is there to say?
    Is that what the British media spin is? That there was national outrage? :confused:

Most Americans would like to wait and see if it was or wasn't self defense and wait for the facts to come out. The only ones calling for Zimmerman's arrest are the usual race baiters like Sharpton. When all the facts come out, it's very likely that this will be a classic case of self defense, nothing more.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how anyone can possibly use this case as a comparison with the killing of Trayvon Martin, to criticize Obama. As tragic as the deaths of those two British students, that case has not generated anywhere the same level of controversy and sense of outrage in the country.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharri5)
    first, doesn't mean you're not racist and you clearly are.
    Second, why would you be? You're a nobody.
    Third, that wasn't a black liberation theology church.
    If you took rush's goods out of your mouth and thought for a second you might not be so clueless.

You're sand. Ignoring.
    So if I don't support Obama I'm a racist? I can't wait until your messiah is defeated in the 2012 election :cool:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You really have no clue about US current affairs do you? :facepalm:

He got involved in the Martin case b/c it had become a national issue BEFORE he had even commented on it; in other words, the story was already front-page (having caused outrage) and he thus had no choice but to comment on it (heck he had to do so within the same conference he announced his World Bank nominee in). There was thus no " massive PR opportunity" and moreover, Black Caucus leaders and indeed Martin's parents by extension (as they were taken under the responsibility of the BC), had wanted Obama to make a comment on the situation. And this is ignoring the obvious differences between this tragic murder and indeed that of Martin's murder; where the guilty individual was found and put on trial, but Zimmerman was let go and not even arrested for the crime.

Christ, get your head out of your backside and actually research things before posting such inane nonsense :rolleyes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Is that what the British media spin is? That there was national outrage? :confused:
    British media spin? This is how, as an American myself, its being reported everywhere here in the US as well - aside from Fox News that is, but even there, its only small rumblings from the likes of Hannity.

Most Americans would like to wait and see if it was or wasn't self defense and wait for the facts to come out.
    "Most Americans"? What complete and utter nonsense.

Most Americans have been (quite rightly) utterly outraged by this case, not "waiting and seeing if it was self defense". You may think you can get away with stating such nonsense to a British audience (who may not follow the case as closely as those in the US), but there are some Americans like myself on this board, who can help dispel your BS.

When all the facts come out, it's very likely that this will be a classic case of self defense, nothing more.
    What rubbish.

I'm assuming you've seen the video footage of Zimmerman being arrested then? Where, despite claiming to have been severely beaten up by Martin (and having suffered a "broken nose" etc), there is not a scratch, let alone an ounce of blood, on Zimmerman. Yeah, "self defense" indeed :rolleyes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So if I don't support Obama I'm a racist? I can't wait until your messiah is defeated in the 2012 election :cool:
    Thankfully he's still leading every single Republican candidate, including Romney, in most opinion polls right now; looks like Obama 2012! :cool:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MirandaPanda)
    Thankfully he's still leading every single Republican candidate, including Romney, in most opinion polls right now; looks like Obama 2012! :cool:
    ^^^how do you like them apples^^^ :cool:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming you've seen the video footage of Zimmerman being arrested then? Where, despite claiming to have been severely beaten up by Martin (and having suffered a "broken nose" etc), there is not a scratch, let alone an ounce of blood, on Zimmerman. Yeah, "self defense" indeed :rolleyes:
    Yes I saw the video tape. A medic had attended to him and cleaned up the gash on his head and the broken nose prior to the video footage being taken.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Yes I saw the video tape. A medic had attended to him and cleaned up the gash on his head and the broken nose prior to the video footage being taken.
    :rofl:

First and foremost, source (a reliable one if possible)?

Secondaly, I very much doubt that a medic provides laundry services and/or could indeed fix a broken nose permanently on the spot; there was not an ounce of blood on his clothes, nor were ANY wounds dectable on him. Given the description Zimmerman gave of an epic struggle between himself and Martin (to the point where he thus felt the need to shoot the young kid), this sounds rather nonsensical/retarded. But hey, maybe in Florida, paramedics have access to miracle medical tech and carry a washing machine with them to clean clothes!

I also look forward to your reply on the other points of my previous post (as we all know you have a habit of only answering points you think you can provide any semblance of a retort to) :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You really have no clue about US current affairs do you? :facepalm:

He got involved in the Martin case b/c it had become a national issue BEFORE he had even commented on it; in other words, the story was already front-page (having caused outrage) and he thus had no choice but to comment on it (heck he had to do so within the same conference he announced his World Bank nominee in). There was thus no " massive PR opportunity" and moreover, Black Caucus leaders and indeed Martin's parents by extension (as they were taken under the responsibility of the BC), had wanted Obama to make a comment on the situation.
    Awww, that's nice. A shame that the good people of Florida aren't quite as bothered about the deaths of two visitors to their state as they are about one of their own, but I suppose that's tribalism at play, and that's no crime.

And this is ignoring the obvious differences between this tragic murder and indeed that of Martin's murder; where the guilty individual was found and put on trial, but Zimmerman was let go and not even arrested for the crime.

Christ, get your head out of your backside and actually research things before posting such inane nonsense :rolleyes:
    Do you truly know if Zimmerman is guilty of anything other than self-defence? Of course you don't; no-one does. As I understand it while he may not have been arrested he is under investigation regarding the incident.

As someone said recently: 'get your head out of you backside before posting nonsense.'

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 6, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.