Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

People must stop littering

Announcements Posted on
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    Much to my misfortune I was subjected to mixing with the general public yesterday. During this encounter I noticed various incidents:

Incident #1: A girl who must have been around 13 or so dropped an empty packet of crisps and a box of popcorn, when the nearest bin was only five metres away. You know what, I was going to stop the car and ask her to put it in the bin. What stopped me? I was worried about her reaction - it's a sad world.

Incident #2: Driving off of the motorway some of the litter on the nearby grass sent a shiver down my spine: scattered alcohol bottles, chocolate wrappers and God knows what else.

Which leads to me asking a few questions: what is so difficult about waiting until their nearest bin? Do these people have an ounce of compassion for their environment or fellow citizens? And lastly, how do we deal with such embarrassments?

What are your thoughts? How would you enforce anti-litter laws?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    Much to my misfortune I was subjected to mixing with the general public yesterday.
    Poor you.
    On topic, rather than having 'anti-litter laws', why don't we just hire people to clean up the litter?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by When you see it...)
    Poor you.
    On topic, rather than having 'anti-litter laws', why don't we just hire people to clean up the litter?
    Because it is cheaper, meaning we all pay lower taxes, if we don't have to. :rolleyes: And the environment is safer and more pleasant.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    IMHO the amount of people in western society who actively liter is as minimal as can be achieved. The one exception to this is smokers. I don't wish to attack all smokers like some, but I hate that the smoking community as a whole thinks that the world is their ashtray.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Because it is cheaper, meaning we all pay lower taxes, if we don't have to. :rolleyes: And the environment is safer and more pleasant.
    Okay, I get the first half of your post, but what do you mean by:
    if we don't have to. :rolleyes: And the environment is safer and more pleasant.
    If we don't have to what? How is the environment safer? It's being cleaned up, unlike in the alternative being proposed (making it illegal, which wouldn't stop it from happening).
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    Poor you.
    People should not be littering in the first place. What ever happened to decency?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I get the first half of your post, but what do you mean by:

If we don't have to what? How is the environment safer? It's being cleaned up, unlike in the alternative being proposed (making it illegal, which wouldn't stop it from happening).
    If we don't have to hire people to clean it up, obviously. We may not be able to get the cost down to zero, but if fewer people dropped less litter the cost could be reduced. It is illegal to drop litter already.

The environment is safer if glass or metal items, for instance, aren't left on our streets. Isn't that obvious too?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is just the morale, and social responsibility that is lacking. Some people were never smacked/told off as a child for littering.

If every adult would tell teenagers off for littering I bet they would stop.

anti-litter laws you are joking right ? How much would it cost to found them to have people on a look out.

If you want to save environment it is better to force government to reuse glass and plastic bottles. Make universal packaging and reuse it too.

Why do we need hundreds of typed of bottles? Make 3-4 types and that should be enough for all types of beverages. Allows them to be reused as the smart Germans do.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    If we don't have to hire people to clean it up, obviously. We may not be able to get the cost down to zero, but if fewer people dropped less litter the cost could be reduced. It is illegal to drop litter already.

The environment is safer if glass or metal items, for instance, aren't left on our streets. Isn't that obvious too?
    Making it illegal wouldn't stop it form happening (surely the fact that it is already illegal proves this), therefore the solutions you are proposing are wrong and me and 'onebro' are the only people to have actually proposed solutions on this thread, as opposed to just moaning about it and making appeals to 'decency'. The OP asked how to enforce anti-litter laws and I suggested an alternative solution. What exactly do you propose? Other than a magical way of stopping people from littering, reducing the need for cleaning it?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    Incident #2: Driving off of the motorway some of the litter on the nearby grass sent a shiver down my spine: scattered alcohol bottles, chocolate wrappers and God knows what else.

#firstworldproblems
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onebro)
    It is just the morale, and social responsibility that is lacking. Some people were never smacked/told off as a child for littering.

If every adult would tell teenagers off for littering I bet they would stop.

anti-litter laws you are joking right ? How much would it cost to found them to have people on a look out.

If you want to save environment it is better to force government to reuse glass and plastic bottles. Make universal packaging and reuse it too.

Why do we need hundreds of typed of bottles? Make 3-4 types and that should be enough for all types of beverages. Allows them to be reused as the smart Germans do.

As a child my mother would never allow me to litter, I'd get told off if I did.If I was out with her and had any rubbish I had to either hold it till I saw a bin or give it to my mum to put in her bag till we got home.That was the same thing that I taught my own children.

I cannto abide to see litter just being dropped, and it annoys me even more if there is a bin close by!!!.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The other day I was walking down a highstreet and picked up an empty bottle off the floor and put it in the bin. I got funny looks for doing this. What is wrong with the world.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    People must stop shoving people and getting in their way
    People must stop talking loudly on their phones for hours on public transport
    People must stop speaking loudly in classrooms when the teacher is trying to speak
    People must stop texting in front of a teacher's face while they are speaking

However, people won't, because people are selfish.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I ever drop litter (by accident of course as I'd never do it on purpose), I instantly feel massively guilty. It's just a bit gross and when there are bins nearby it's just a bit lazy.

There are bins in Brighton that talk when you put rubbish in them. They're recordings of celebrities etc saying thank you and other bin-related things. They're supposed to encourage use. I'm all for decreasing litter.... not sure if I think that talking bins are the way forward though. Unless of course they're appealing to children...

I think it's just a bit daft that we need these measures when it's just common sense not to do it in the first place.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when people litter. I don't understand why you'd intentionally try to make your surroundings ugly.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So anyway why_you_little is obviously a new troll account wonder how long before banned or red gemmed.

On topic yes it shows complete disrespect just dropping litter, so lazy, many bins around my area, but some dumb ass rock hard youth think it is cool to throw bottles and rubbish everywhere, adults too, glass cutting dogs feet, civil people nearly getting hit by projectiles, I dunno what it is but my theory is it is lack of respect and anyone doing it should get a slap rather than a fine with the slap getting progressively harder if said person continues to litter.

Also people who have dogs letting them **** everywhere without picking it up is ridiculous too, if they cannot pick their dogs **** up then they should not have one. We train pets by rubbing their noses in it, if someone let their dog **** without picking it up then it should be posted to their home or their nose should be rubbed in it.

If I see someone **** sliding I would laugh but if it was me doing the sliding I would be fuming.

Plus I end up taking my litter home if I don't pass a bin.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    #firstworldproblems
    People who litter are uncivilised.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by original_username)
    The other day I was walking down a highstreet and picked up an empty bottle off the floor and put it in the bin. I got funny looks for doing this. What is wrong with the world.
    People like that really annoy me. You're right, when people do the right thing (i.e. clear litter) and it's more acceptable to leave it than clear it, it's a sign that the country is declining.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by najinaji)
    People must stop shoving people and getting in their way
    People must stop talking loudly on their phones for hours on public transport
    People must stop speaking loudly in classrooms when the teacher is trying to speak
    People must stop texting in front of a teacher's face while they are speaking

However, people won't, because people are selfish.
    This.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Every time there's a sunny day and people are sitting in the park, once they leave it's like the aftermath of a festival. It's as if they literally just stand up and leave EVERYTHING behind. I really don't understand it. I think picking up your own litter is seen as a soft and wussy thing to do - I know when I was younger then it was cool to throw your rubbish on the floor and anyone who went to a bin got the piss taken out of him.

Thinking of my "friends" I'd say it's like 50%-70% of youngish people who routinely litter, as in they will usually discard their waste absolutely anywhere and not even think about it.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 1, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.