The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I love the idea of it, and I have for a long time. In fact, I don't remember when I started wanting to be a doctor.
I like the fact that it will keep me grounded and that I will know that I am helping someone. I want to do a few years with médecins sans frontières and I just can't wait. I want to cut away all the bull**** and just get on with something that I am sure is good.
I've also noticed that I am really interested in medical texts and recently I've become fascinated by the brain. I want to know how it works and I'd love to do some research.
I am obviously also attracted to the more taboo perks: good pay, respect etc. but hey :smile:

I haven't even started my degree yet though, so what do I know :P
(edited 9 years ago)
My dad served in the special forces as a patrol medic. When I was 14 and he was away on tour I went in his study and saw some books he'd kept from a stint on an A&E at a busy hospital and I was blown away by them. At that point I knew I was interested in the science of medicine at least but wasn't so sure about being a doctor.

Eventually, the books were getting too complicated so I bought another book which I read a couple of times because it was so accessible - St John Ambulance First Aid guide - which proved to be a good decision.
One evening I woke up to hear really shallow breathing so came out of my room to see my brother on the floor seizing and my mum hyperventilating over him. Even though it was the scariest moment of my life I had read about what to do and so just did it. So I put a pillow under his head and moved my mum away and told her to call the ambulance to keep her busy and calm her down then put my brother in the recovery position when the convulsions had stopped.

My mum felt helpless but even with a basic first aid training I was able keep everyone calm and potentially prevent something bad happening. I think that was the turning point for me because I never wanted to feel helpless like my mum did.
**** bitches, get money
Original post by MrSupernova
**** bitches, get money

This is very true.
Reply 64
I've never really understood why people can't be honest with an interviewer about why they wish to become a Doctor. You can help people through more or less anything, such as teaching, cleaning roads or painting buildings - it doesn't matter because at the end of the day you're still helping people with whatever you do. You really need to expand on it. You must remember, you're most probably going to be in an interview with a mix of people, from consultants, students and then a random person such as vicar who will be judging you from all different perspectives. An answer of 'because I want to help people' or 'I've always wanted to do this from when I was born' makes no sense at all, it's not real unless you expand on it - when I was young I wanted to be an ice-cream man for goodness sake and then in the next five minutes I wanted to be a fireman because I thought they were cool... The fact is, they could easily ask you 'why didn't you want to become this or that then?'. Similarly, saying that you want to help patients and make them better, then why don't you become a Nurse? Answers really need to be honest, obviously not as honest as 'chicks, money and power' as such, but subtle and something that comes from YOU, not a textbook.

You may have had an experience of someone dying at a young age, so has most of the world and it doesn't mean that you SHOULD be a Doctor unless you can actually relate it to why you want to do the profession - 'my grandmother was ill from X and I felt just useless, this is why I wanted to become a Doctor' makes no sense, surely as I've said before, why don't you become a Nurse? You could make them feel more comfortable and help them. Wouldn't everyone feel useless, even the Doctors if they couldn't do something to help? - We must realise that being a Doctor doesn't mean that you have a cure for everything, we all have limitations and just because something happened when you were younger doesn't mean that you were destined to become a Doctor, but has influenced your decision.

My point is, an interviewer is someone that has lived through that moment of being interviewed and is expecting that cliche answer of helping people - everyone wants to help people! You need to be honest about it, expand and relate it to something so that it actually means something. That's just my opinion though, coming from someone who does want to study medicine, of course I'm probably going to get asked 'what do you know about this', but I can tell you coming from someone who reads about this quite a bit that most people want to become a doctor for the wrong reasons most of the time and need to find their true reason - not a textbook response.
Normative questions like "why do you want x?" are almost always incapable of being answered in a way that provides closure. However, you can at least try to give a good answer to it.

For me it was along the lines of personal experiences of illness, the NHS, and a subsequent rejuvenation of my interest in the application of the sciences in regard to medicine. I then spent the final year of my degree studying the philosophy of science; with a focus upon experimentation, methodology, biology, and medicine in particular. Thus, on a conceptual level I can show that I'm already very interested in the medical sciences. It has been from shadowing various doctors, seeing how technology and sciences is applied in various medical areas, and working as an auxiliary on a ward that I have been drawn towards a career in medicine. Just to emphasise my dedication I have endeavoured to continue to work in the NHS in different medical areas as well as taking the highers which I do not have (yet require).

Then, once you get further away from my personal interests, there are also professional and financial interests. The fact is that medicine is both a very well respected, secure, and a well remunerated career path which actually allow me to focus less upon the £ and more on those initial interests in medical science and practise.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sulfur
I've never really understood why people can't be honest with an interviewer about why they wish to become a Doctor. You can help people through more or less anything, such as teaching, cleaning roads or painting buildings - it doesn't matter because at the end of the day you're still helping people with whatever you do. You really need to expand on it. You must remember, you're most probably going to be in an interview with a mix of people, from consultants, students and then a random person such as vicar who will be judging you from all different perspectives. An answer of 'because I want to help people' or 'I've always wanted to do this from when I was born' makes no sense at all, it's not real unless you expand on it - when I was young I wanted to be an ice-cream man for goodness sake and then in the next five minutes I wanted to be a fireman because I thought they were cool... The fact is, they could easily ask you 'why didn't you want to become this or that then?'. Similarly, saying that you want to help patients and make them better, then why don't you become a Nurse? Answers really need to be honest, obviously not as honest as 'chicks, money and power' as such, but subtle and something that comes from YOU, not a textbook.

You may have had an experience of someone dying at a young age, so has most of the world and it doesn't mean that you SHOULD be a Doctor unless you can actually relate it to why you want to do the profession - 'my grandmother was ill from X and I felt just useless, this is why I wanted to become a Doctor' makes no sense, surely as I've said before, why don't you become a Nurse? You could make them feel more comfortable and help them. Wouldn't everyone feel useless, even the Doctors if they couldn't do something to help? - We must realise that being a Doctor doesn't mean that you have a cure for everything, we all have limitations and just because something happened when you were younger doesn't mean that you were destined to become a Doctor, but has influenced your decision.

My point is, an interviewer is someone that has lived through that moment of being interviewed and is expecting that cliche answer of helping people - everyone wants to help people! You need to be honest about it, expand and relate it to something so that it actually means something. That's just my opinion though, coming from someone who does want to study medicine, of course I'm probably going to get asked 'what do you know about this', but I can tell you coming from someone who reads about this quite a bit that most people want to become a doctor for the wrong reasons most of the time and need to find their true reason - not a textbook response.

it wouldnt be cured in 1 year tho as it takes around 20 years for a drug to be made public
Original post by Zedd
Edinburgh has a decent philosophy programme so you're lucky (the philosophy of time stuff is always fun), I doubt you'd be skiving medicine lectures for UoA lectures :tongue: Although my final year looks to be fairly bitchin' for applying to med. :biggrin:

Hi zedd. Did you get an offer for med? I remember you from couple of years ago
Hi Everyone. I am currently starting my 2nd year at college doing A level Biology, PE & English it's hard work but I am getting mostly A's. I have only just decided I want to study to be a doctor but am worried I have not done enough work experience although I have done some Physiotherapy and am running out of time. Does anyone know how much work experience is required initially and what the University exams are like. Including how many exams there are especially in the first year? Any information would be greatfully appreciated as I am very worried and nervous about this and want to know I am making the right decisions for my future career . Thanks Melissa M.
Reply 70
Original post by Missymann
Hi Everyone. I am currently starting my 2nd year at college doing A level Biology, PE & English it's hard work but I am getting mostly A's. I have only just decided I want to study to be a doctor but am worried I have not done enough work experience although I have done some Physiotherapy and am running out of time. Does anyone know how much work experience is required initially and what the University exams are like. Including how many exams there are especially in the first year? Any information would be greatfully appreciated as I am very worried and nervous about this and want to know I am making the right decisions for my future career . Thanks Melissa M.

You need a level chemistry to study medicine. Have you looked at the entry requirements?

There is no set amount of work experience required, you just need enough to draw on to talk about in your PS and at interview

First year exams will vary a lot from uni to uni

And finally this isn't really the thread for this question :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Because my family is forcing me to do it😢
Reply 72
Original post by Helloworld_95
Because one year you could be transplanting organs and the next you could be growing them from stem cells. Because one year you could be watching a disease force a death sentence and the next it could be cured. Because it's a challenging career with options from clinical work to research to teaching. Because you get to meet new interesting people everyday. Because as a doctor you are the frontier to protecting and improving a persons quality of life.

damnnnn
Original post by T-Sri
damnnnn

Ironically I changed my degree choice to Engineering and it's an even better career haha.
1) well , I believe that studying medicine will help me know more about about chemistry , physics and above all Biology also it can help in deduction concerning forensic medicine.
2) well being a doctor will let me deal with people with their own beings seeking for better health which we all aspire and it is more about humanity as a police officer or a detective would reach what he searches for but maybe avoiding the humane part of him unlike a doctor.
3) we all must have faced hard stresses and actually because we are all weak when it comes to family or those close to you so learning how to control those feelings to become helpful and less helpless will make us reach our peeks of self stability and more success in our work.
(edited 5 years ago)
1) It's something I've always wanted to do. I recall having a small medicine suitcase (toy of course) when I was much younger, with a plastic stethoscope and some plastic hammer tool (which I've never found out the purpose of come.to.think of it...) and.I'd go around the house diagnosing my family members and teddy bears with some awful ailments and treating them accordingly. Those were definitely the easier days.

2) I want to be able to help people in the best way possible. There's nothing I've wanted to achieve more than this in my entire life. it is my life-long ambition to be able to help people in this way.

3) I am forever fascinated by the ability to go into a patient's body cavity and physically alter and witness the natural course of science to help someone. I want to be able to do that.

4) I want to challenge myself.
Your insight on the similarity of various careers relating to helping people is admirable.... But you still haven't given any reason or thoughts to consider before taking up medicine as a career

Latest

Trending

Trending