The Student Room Group

AS Aspects of narrative exam 16th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sayers345
I need a bit of advice on revision. I started around a week ago, but I feel my revision is all over the place and I'm concerned I'm not going about it in the right way while time's running out.
How'd you revise effectively? And what do you think is the best approach to take on the exam!

1. Look at past mark schemes and read examiners reports - read where people went wrong and MAKE sure you do not do any of those!

2. Have a look at what is most likely to come up and then first focus specifically on that poem/chapter. Find resources on the internet and write easy to read notes on the form, structure and language of that poem/chapter. Make sure you include all the Aspects of narrative (Time, setting, etc.). Write what narrative features are present and how that helps enrich the readers' idea of what is going on. After, do slightly briefer notes on the unlikely chapters and poems.

3. Do a practice essay to see how you are under timed conditions and ask your teacher if they will mark it.

4. For the A)b) Question, choose the 2 you think you will most likely choose.
- Write some possible questions which may seem like an obvious topic to talk about (e.g women in Browning) and write some points.
- Develop your skills of arguing both sides and appreciating other viewpoints. This will allow for skillful, fluid writing (A01)
- See how the novel/author/poet was viewed back then and how he is now - why is this? (eg. Tennyson was originally criticised and deemed a rubbish poet and then ended up being laureate!) - A03
- Find out what critics have said, and remember a few quotes to put in your essay. Try and find ones which can be incorporated into any question - A03
- Write brief notes on the poets/author's life, why that might have inspired them to write the poem/story and the legacy it may hold? Is it canonical? why? -A04

For the B question:
- Write notes on all books, on each aspect of narrative.
- Find key quotes
- Find ways of possibly talking about key features in a way which will tie in with the unpredictable question (eg Nick is unreliable in Gatsby, Tennyson and his use of dramatic monologues)

Hope this helps!
Reply 21
I'm taking this exam too, studying: Great Expectations, the Kite Runner, Hardy poetry and the Rime of the Ancient Mariner. No idea which I'm going to pick as my Section 1, although probably not the latter (although saying that i'll probably end up doing that one ;P)
One month! O_o
I'm studying:
Section A: Pride and Prejudice
Section B: The Kite Runner, WH Auden's poetry, Brownings poetry

I was wondering if anyone had any tipds/advice on how to answer the Section B question? My teacher has meetings with the exam board and said that it's pretty much writing 3 "mini essays" and it isn't necessary to compare them throughout, and she said to include at least 2-3 poems from each text in section B.

Saying that, we've never done any practice past papers on the section B's, and she has 4 classes so she's not very good at handing back essays so it's hard for feedback... Any tips on what I should focus on for revising? So far I'm just trying to concentrate on knowing aspects of narrative for each text, and trying to fit in all of the AO's :/

Any help would be much appreciated! Oh, and by any chance if anyone has opinions/predictions on what questions/chapters/themes may sneak up on the paper, I'm always interested in reading up for those :redface:
I'm nervously babbling now, oh and ONE MONTH! Good luck with your revision everyone!
Does anyone know the best way to organise your time in Section B? I remember at GCSE for the hour long question, we were advised to do 20mins on the first poem, 20 on the second, 10 on the third and 5-10 on the fourth.
Is there a similar possible format for Section B on this exam?
:smile:
Original post by Florence321
Does anyone know the best way to organise your time in Section B? I remember at GCSE for the hour long question, we were advised to do 20mins on the first poem, 20 on the second, 10 on the third and 5-10 on the fourth.
Is there a similar possible format for Section B on this exam?
:smile:

I was told that since we have an hour just to spend 20 minutes on each text for the Section B :-)
Original post by Perceptive
I was told that since we have an hour just to spend 20 minutes on each text for the Section B :-)

Thank you! Doesn't sound so scary when put like that :smile:
What are people predicting to come up in section B?
Original post by Buongiorno
What are people predicting to come up in section B?

Openings/beginnings, symbols/motifs. Just a guess, of course :redface:
For section B, are we meant to mention all of the Aspects of Narrative?

e.g - How do the three writers used PLACES? ... Would we still have to mention time, voices, destination, characters? Or do we JUST focus on places? :redface:
Reply 30

e.g - How do the three writers used PLACES? ... Would we still have to mention time, voices, destination, characters? Or do we JUST focus on places? :redface:

You can always link the others to places e.g. how the time of the event is happening at that particular place, or whether the place help establish a certain character trait etc. just link it all with narrative techniques so you don't risk losing marks :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Section B tests AO1, AO2 and A03. So you still need to talk about form, language and structure & have different interpretations.
Reply 32
Ahhh is anyone else going into panic mode for this exam??? :eek:
So is the general prediction that symbolism will come up on section B?
So which part of the ancient mariner do we think will come up?? They have covered them all by now surely.
Reply 34
just remember how low the grade boundaries are for this exam: 54-56 / 84 for an A (raw marks). About 60%. The fact that they are that low in itself means the exam is tough but remember you don't need crazy marks on every question to do well! Also, we have our coursework which most people did well on which counts for 40% of the overall grade; it is not all doom and gloom :smile:.

Thought i'd throw somethings that are positive in there for balance.
Reply 35
Thanks for the postitivity, I need it! :smile: I thought the grade boundaries would be higher, and I really want a A. :redface:
Original post by Joe Da Slim Slaney
So which part of the ancient mariner do we think will come up?? They have covered them all by now surely.

I haven't seen Part 4 of T.R.O.T.A.M in any past paper questions (including the specimen) so I would predict it'll come up unless AQA have a hatred for it.

PS) Sorry if I quoted incorrectly, new at this :rolleyes:
Also does anyone have any decent notes for 'Small Island'? My year has pretty much next to nothing notes due to rushing through it last time (resitter).

Why didn't AQA take it off the syllabus instead of Curious Incident :angry:
Original post by Dodecahedron
I haven't seen Part 4 of T.R.O.T.A.M in any past paper questions :

I think it came up in Jan this year, which they haven't released the paper for yet. But I am not sure on this yet. So if anybody from that exam could tell us, that be helpfull :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by Joe Da Slim Slaney
I think it came up in Jan this year, which they haven't released the paper for yet. But I am not sure on this yet. So if anybody from that exam could tell us, that be helpfull :smile:

My teacher gave us a copy Jan's paper... It was how the story is told in part 3 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest