The Student Room Group

AS Aspects of narrative exam 16th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by fxyz
I'm doing Hardy too :smile: The Voice came up in January.. the 3 poems that haven't come up yet since January 2009 are Under The Waterfall, At an Inn and Neutral Tones :smile:

Ahhh, i completely believed that at castle boterel had not come up! what year did this exam come up in?
how are you feeling about the exam? what authors are you planning on doing for what sections? i'm praying those three poems come up under hardy! :smile:
Reply 121
Plus is anyone an auden fan here? i've revised all his poetry however i really am not a fan of his poetry and will be doing his text in section B, can anyone highlight to me the main narrative works of auden? i understand most of his poems involve war, politics, time, oppression and hope, love, religion and societys failure however i'm uncertain his main clear narrative way of expressing these themes, what is mainly required for section B of the exam
thanksssss
Reply 122
Original post by SagarG
Ahhh, i completely believed that at castle boterel had not come up! what year did this exam come up in?
how are you feeling about the exam? what authors are you planning on doing for what sections? i'm praying those three poems come up under hardy! :smile:

Castle Boterel has come up already but I don't actually remember what year was deffo after the spec started though! :smile:
Im absolutely dreading the exam. I love english lit but I can never hit that A which I need! I'm doing the Kite Runner, Small Island and Browning for Section B.. What about you?
Reply 123
Original post by fxyz
Can someone read this and just point out whatevers wrong with this or whether its decent. Its a question about the significance of resolutions in texts.

Throughout the novel, Hortense and Gilbert display a clear lack of love and bonding which remains until the near-end. In chapter 51, when Hortense fails at being accepted a teacher as she had dearly hoped, Gilbert comes to brighten her spirits up by showing her around the sights of London she had ‘seen in books’. He succeeds at making her happy and in this chapter Hortense demonstrates a softer side to herself a side which initiates the start of their emotional relationship. Further on in chapter 56, Gilbert takes Hortense to see their new house in Finsbury Park and this also ignites Hortense’s softer side. Upon seeing the ‘good room’ they can ‘fix up’ with just ‘a little hard work’, Hortense is reminded of her ‘golden’ English dreams of a house (as repeated in the first chapter) with ‘a bell at the door… (that goes) ding-a-ling, ding-a-ling’. This instantly brings out the loving side of her to the extent that she later invited Gilbert to the bed and initiates physical intimacy something Gilbert longed for. Thus, the house and the sights are allegorical for a resolution to their previous disliking of each other and for their new beginning.

THANKS IN ADVANCE :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'm doing S I too - do you have any resources??? send me any?
Yes, it is a good response showing depth and understanding of the whole text. However maybe just slot in a bit more about A02 Language, form, structure i,e, the structural progression from chapter (2?) to the climactic end of the novel advocates the resolution. - then alternative interpretation - perhaps Levy uses this resolution in the '1948' present environment to present the viewpoint that dreams are sometimes are reality. There is a glimmer of hope for Levy's protagonists as they reach resolution through setting. BASICALLY tie up your ends and don't just tell the narrative back to the examiner. You must relate the aspects i.e. resolution to other aspects of narrative. How are resolutions shown through setting, voice, lexis, form, structure, time etc. : )
Reply 124
Original post by AM95
I'm doing S I too - do you have any resources??? send me any?
Yes, it is a good response showing depth and understanding of the whole text. However maybe just slot in a bit more about A02 Language, form, structure i,e, the structural progression from chapter (2?) to the climactic end of the novel advocates the resolution. - then alternative interpretation - perhaps Levy uses this resolution in the '1948' present environment to present the viewpoint that dreams are sometimes are reality. There is a glimmer of hope for Levy's protagonists as they reach resolution through setting. BASICALLY tie up your ends and don't just tell the narrative back to the examiner. You must relate the aspects i.e. resolution to other aspects of narrative. How are resolutions shown through setting, voice, lexis, form, structure, time etc. : )

Thanks for the insight :smile: I shall add that in :smile: And resources for Small Island are scarce on the internet I have hardly anything to revise from. Its all what I'm coming out with from my head :\ I have some Section B essays where theres a paragraph or two on Small Island if you'd like that?
Anyone know what the average grade boundaries are? AQA website not working.... helpful this close to exams!
So scared for this exam :frown:
Reply 126
anyone got any notes for use of language in Great Gatsby ch4, 5 and 6?
Original post by badgerbarn
Anyone know what the average grade boundaries are? AQA website not working.... helpful this close to exams!
So scared for this exam :frown:

It is usually around 50/84 for an A.
Original post by Buongiorno
It is usually around 50/84 for an A.

Really???? That seems pretty low... My teacher has given me A's in some essays and C's in the other!
Little bit less scared now the Grade boundaries are so low!
Original post by badgerbarn
Really???? That seems pretty low... My teacher has given me A's in some essays and C's in the other!
Little bit less scared now the Grade boundaries are so low!

It is quite low, shows how challenging the exam is though! You will be fine :smile:
Only a few days left now! Crapping it to be honest, I want at least a B. All my mocks are coming out B so it is looking good!
Does anyone have a link for the jan 2012 past paper or knows what the Kite Runner questions for january 2012 were?
Reply 132
Original post by blingmonkeys
Does anyone have a link for the jan 2012 past paper or knows what the Kite Runner questions for january 2012 were?

How does Hosseini tell the story in chapter 7?
How far do you agree with the view that The Kite Runner is a celebration of brotherhood?
:smile:
Reply 133
Original post by fxyz
Thanks for the insight :smile: I shall add that in :smile: And resources for Small Island are scarce on the internet I have hardly anything to revise from. Its all what I'm coming out with from my head :\ I have some Section B essays where theres a paragraph or two on Small Island if you'd like that?

Can you put the links up on here? Thanks!
Reply 134
Original post by pennyy
thank you so much! I've attached one I did for Chapter 3 :smile: could I possibly ask you for help on Auden's poetry? I'm lost, and have barely any notes for O where are you going, if I could tell you, and O what is that sound!

were you given any particular grade for that essay.
Reply 135
Original post by trrr
were you given any particular grade for that essay.

my teacher said it's an A, the examiners might have marked it down though if I'd written it in an exam
Reply 136
Original post by AM95
Can you put the links up on here? Thanks!

Will do in a bit .. Need to download them from my google documents account first.

Do you know what narrative voice is? Or what things we have to talk about if a question on that comes up
I'm studying Tennyson and I'll be answering section A on it.

Here is a brief summary of some of the poems.

- Lotus eaters & Choric song (Choric song came up last year, but lotus eater hasn't)
The poem is based upon Ulysses's mariners, after eating the lotus fruit, determine to stay in the land of lotus eaters.

The source is from Homer's odyssey, line 82-104 Ulysses and his mariners are on their way home from ithaca after 10 years of war against Troy.
The first voice we here is that of Ulysses 'Courage' he said, which later on shows a complete contrast to the way the mariners are feeling.
The initial narrative consists of a series of five Spenserian stanzas, the length of the stanzas suggest that the poem is spoken over a length of time. A typical Spenserian stanza consists of eight lines in iambic pentameter followed by a single 'Alexandrine' line in iambic hexameter.
The voice of the poem is a communal voice of all the mariners as one person. In addition the poem is also told in 1st & 3rd person at times, which gives off a confusing effect, but we assume that the first person is Ulysses and the 3rd person is that of the communal voice of the mariners.

This is the part of the poem which I believe will come up in Section A.
I have notes on all of the poems, so if you'd like any help please ask. Or if you have any notes I'd love to have a look!
The fiver line stanzas describe ulysses languid world where everything moves slowly, where everything 'always seem'd the same' (line 24)
The narrative is succeeded by the Choric song of the drugged marine
Original post by Kimiechi
My teacher said that all of the parts have come up, so it could be on absolutely any of them.

Part 3 has been up twice :smile:
So unlikely it'll come up again!
Reply 139
Original post by fxyz
Will do in a bit .. Need to download them from my google documents account first.

Do you know what narrative voice is? Or what things we have to talk about if a question on that comes up

'Narrators' has already come up. But, voices has not and is a viable option for this June. I would explore not only the role of the narrator but the role of exterior voices in the narrative. Perhaps explore the juxtaposition between exterior and narrative voice. Look at the perspective of the voices and the point of view given by the voices. Do they interrupt the narrative? are they stereotypes? Do they reveal information when and why? Are Voices omniscient or present in the narrative and do they reveal anything about the message the author is trying to convey i,e, in TROTAM The supernatural voices reflect Coleridge's belief that man does not control his own destiny. The vague and anonymous omniscient voices portray the mariner as a victim of the supernatural world ... etc. etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending