Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Clothes for smaller women

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Myths and facts on Student Finance - on TSR from 2pm! 15-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamnothuman)
    do you mean thinner women or shorter women sorry confused

Well I meant shorter women in my post, but I'm guessing the later posts are referring to thin/skinny women.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    With guys it's easier though, you can just wear something and say it's meant to be baggy - girls tend to want to show some sort of curves rather than a trapezium from their shoulders to their hips
    Its not easy, I think its harder because I've seen in Topshop theres a petite section - not a singler menswear shop has that sort of section.
    And plus as a short guy, wearing baggy stuff is pretty much a no go area because it makes us look even shorter. If I was tall then yes wearing baggy wouldnt be such a problem
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I guess, but I'd sooner be short and slim than big and fat so I can deal with it :P There's probably not a worthwhile amount of demand for it, given that something like 1/3 of British women are overweight

Admittedly I'm on the bigger end of the really petite range at 5"2 and size 8, but it is easier to tailor clothes to be smaller or shorter than it is bigger - I quite often do this with shirts to fit my boobs in anyway.

I usually find ASOS and lipsy run quite small - I usually size up, and ASOS has a pretty extensive petite range.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that H&M are good for mens clothing, they go to a 28" waist in some mens trousers, but even so they only really cater for short thin men. As far as women go, only topshop really go smaller than a 6 and thats an expensive brand and sizes smaller than a 6 are hard to come by even there!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamnothuman)
    do you mean thinner women or shorter women sorry confused
    I originally meant thinner women, however if shorter women alo find this a problem then post about that too, its all about trying to help each other with this clothing dialemma (:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Two of my kids are very slightly built and very tall for their width, buying clothes is a nightmare! Son is 28 waist and 34 leg (6'1")despite eating like a horse. TKMaxx is about the only place I can reliably find jeans for him. He's a drummer and drums for at least a couple of hours each day which probably accounts for the skinniness. Daughter is 12 years old, 5'4", ridiculously long legs and still has no hips so size 6 tends to fall down 'cause there's nothing to hold it up. Exhibit size 6 is quite small on the hips but the two pairs of jeans she has from there literally fell apart at the seams in under a month, New Look teens range is too wide on the waist / hips and short on the legs. Can't wait for her to hit teens properly, being able to actually get clothes that fit will make the mood swings worthwhile Biggest challenge right now is actually finding school trousers for her 'cause she point blank refuses to wear a skirt

We live in the back end of nowhere so size 4 is not an option
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ever heard of the "petite" section?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    5'4" is too tall, trousers are 2" up her legs
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    Yes, but even in the shops that do have it, it's not exactly extensive, now is it?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KittyKattyKaity)
    5'4" is too tall, trousers are 2" up her legs
    i'm sure most are for women 5 feet 2 and under...
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Yes, but even in the shops that do have it, it's not exactly extensive, now is it?
    True enough.

I often just buy clothes from the kids' section.

the large section is hardly any better though.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 1, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.