Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anybody got any advice for using a credit card?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just got my first credit card, granted not a good one the Interest charged on it is enough to give you a heart attack but i figured that i need to start building a good credit rating for life ASAP so my real question is has anyone got any advice on using one aside from pay on time all the time etc. like can you use them for cash withdrawels or is it unadvised etc.
    thank you !
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't spend more than will allow you to pay off the bill in full each month. And make sure you pay in time.

That is all you need to know.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you use it for a cash withdrawal, there will be a cash advance fee. And interest will be charged from the moment the cash is taken out. So don't do it unless it's an emergency.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    Don't spend more than will allow you to pay off the bill in full each month. And make sure you pay in time.

If you use it for a cash withdrawal, there will be a cash advance fee. And interest will be charged from the moment the cash is taken out. So don't do it unless it's an emergency.
    thank you very much!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    I just got my first credit card, granted not a good one the Interest charged on it is enough to give you a heart attack but i figured that i need to start building a good credit rating for life ASAP so my real question is has anyone got any advice on using one aside from pay on time all the time etc. like can you use them for cash withdrawels or is it unadvised etc.
    thank you !
    I'd stick to using it for online/potentially dodgy payments. One of the big advantages of a credit card over a debit card is that a credit card has better protection against misuse. So if you get overcharged/the card is stolen or whatever, it's someone else's problem with a credit card but yours (not wholly but more so) with a debit card.

And as others have said, don't withdraw cash. Or gamble, because that's often counted as a cash advance too.
    • 165 followers

ReputationRep:

:ditto: And moreover, I'd strongly recommend setting up a direct debit to pay off the full balance each month - that way, you avoid the risk of forgetting it, or of payments going astray.

If you can get one, a cashback credit card can give you a small lump sum back each year, which certainly can't hurt.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dont spend more than you can afford.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    :ditto: And moreover, I'd strongly recommend setting up a direct debit to pay off the full balance each month - that way, you avoid the risk of forgetting it, or of payments going astray.

If you can get one, a cashback credit card can give you a small lump sum back each year, which certainly can't hurt.
    This pretty much covers it. Keep mine for online purchases. Google Section 75. It basically means if you order something online and the company doesn't deliver you can get your money back. It's also very useful for getting customer services to listen to you.

I ordered a DSLR last xmas and it turned up damaged. They accepted the return but didn't send another. It was only when I started the process of a Section 75 chargeback with my bank that they suddenly became interested in helping me..!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 1, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.