Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where is the black outrage over Thusha's shooting?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/commen...g-7599847.html

The trigger to the UK riots was the protest by black people in Hackney over the shooting of armed black gangster Mark Duggan by policemen. We saw similar protests by black people over the death of black musician Smiley Culture in police custody. Yet many people are shot by black gangsters in London and the rest of the UK regularly (many of the victims being black), most recently the shooting of five year old Thusha Kamaleswaran by young black men in a gang and there has been no protests by the black community. Does it only count when the perpetrator is a policeman and the victim is a black man?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You know I feel like this is a very dumb question that honestly doesn't deserve the effort I need to put in to answer it. But whatever here I go:

There's an outcry whenever a police officer shoots someone, and pretty rightly so, they need to be able to be accountable when they make use of deadly force.

Cause people don't feel the need to protest any time someone is murdered?

Gang warfare is something that much more to do with the community in which it is happening than in governmental politics, hence it's somewhat useless to protest on a national level rather than addressing the local police force, or setting up local programs to take people off the streets.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The people who protested and rioted over Mark Duggan were probably all either ghetto, gangmember type people or people who wanted an excuse to be violent, destroy stuff and loot. I saw no such reaction over Smiley Culture's death.

When I read the Thusha Kamaleswaran story in the papers I was of course very concerned but there is nothing a normal person like me can do about it. If I had my way the shooter would be put to death for destroying an innocent girls life.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carecup)
    You know I feel like this is a very dumb question that honestly doesn't deserve the effort I need to put in to answer it. But whatever here I go:

There's an outcry whenever a police officer shoots someone, and pretty rightly so, they need to be able to be accountable when they make use of deadly force.

Cause people don't feel the need to protest any time someone is murdered?

Gang warfare is something that much more to do with the community in which it is happening than in governmental politics, hence it's somewhat useless to protest on a national level rather than addressing the local police force, or setting up local programs to take people off the streets.
    Tbh I don't remember people rioting when they killed Ian Tomlinson. That kind of blew over.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    When I lived in Brixton a few years ago, a local shopkeeper in the market got stabbed over some stupid row about a stolen orange. A few days later, hundreds of locals (me included) congretated outside the shop to pay our respects and show our anger. A very mixed crowd, in the way that Brixton is, for anyone that knows it.

So there's yer answer to the OP - it does happen.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonged.)
    Tbh I don't remember people rioting when they killed Ian Tomlinson. That kind of blew over.
    If he were black there would have been nationwide riots a year ahead of schedule and if he were Muslim the police stations would need reinforcement from the hoardes of suicide bombers who'd throw themselves into the stations trying to kill as many policemen as possible. I doubt Gordon Brown would be saying stuff like "if I had a brother he'd look just like Ian".

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 1, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.