Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Post Election results and discussion

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    Pleased to say that I am now an MP for the Labour party. Look forward to taking up my seat and some heated yet respectful debates with all MPs.
    Congrats to being selected by your party Mr Dangermouse look forward to debating with you in the MHOC
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few new MPs heading to the Division Lobby this term
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
    Quite a few new MPs heading to the Division Lobby this term
    And some old faces returning as well such as yourself.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    And some old faces returning as well such as yourself.
    Don't forget this Powerhouse is also returning
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am also a new Labour MP, and hope to take real part in the debates after a few weeks on the sidelines
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    Don't forget this Powerhouse is also returning
    I look forward to sparring with you (and hopefully working with you on other issues).
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DebatingGreg)
    I am also a new Labour MP, and hope to take real part in the debates after a few weeks on the sidelines
    Congratulations.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    Minister's are not being held to account.
    Minister's are chosen and whether they release a Statement outlining the Agenda of the Department is a personal prerogative. Minister's may not release a Statement nor create a Department thread in the Government Forum. (There was no DCMS, DWP and DEFRA threads in the Government Forum last term)

My Amendment will formally introduce the doctrine Ministerial Accountability to this House.
    Why should ministers be held to account on an internet forum? I like the idea that anyone is free to propose bills from any subject, and I think your amendment would make people feel they should only stick to their "department", which can only be a bad thing imo.

Why is it so bloody important that ministers release statements? Surely the party/government bills should be enough? I know you worked hard on the transport statement, and well done to you, but I just feel it was unnecessary, and you could've spent the time writing the bills on the things you said you were going to write bills about in your statement.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DebatingGreg)
    How do Labour select their MPs? Is it still completely at the leader's discretion?
    • 38 followers

ReputationRep:
    I will also be returning to the MHOC Toronto353,and look forward to debating with yourself and others in the house.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, it was consensual. We had more than 14 candidates, but older members were willing to give way to new blood, as evidenced by the strong showing of new MPs. There was no need for anyone to dictate who were to be our MPs.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizardtop)
    I will also be returning to the MHOC Toronto353,and look forward to debating with yourself and others in the house.
    Same here.

(Original post by TopHat)
    No, it was consensual. We had more than 14 candidates, but older members were willing to give way to new blood, as evidenced by the strong showing of new MPs. There was no need for anyone to dictate who were to be our MPs.
    You could always do what TSR UKIP does and hold an MP election.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    We had more than 14 candidates willing to take a place, but we decided mutually that it was better for the newer MPs to get priority, so some of the older ones took a step back, and, before, you know, we had our list Bit lucky as there was no hassle, I suppose
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah. But formally it's still the leader's power to decide, right?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    You could always do what TSR UKIP does and hold an MP election.
    The trouble is, with 14 spaces to fill, it is rather time-consuming.

(Original post by JPKC)
    Ah. But formally it's still the leader's power to decide, right?
    I believe so.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    The trouble is, with 14 spaces to fill, it is rather time-consuming.

I believe so.
    You have one huge election and the top x amount of people get seats.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You have one huge election and the top x amount of people get seats.
    We have plenty seats to dish out, unlike UKIP

I'm joking mate.

But I think we had 15 members express interest and 1 of the more experienced members said he would only be a voting figure due to lack of free time and said that he wasn't bothered one way or another, so he was the "odd man out."

I'd imagine there'd be an election if there was a large excess of members really wanting a seat.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    We have plenty seats to dish out, unlike UKIP

I'm joking mate.

But I think we had 15 members express interest and 1 of the more experienced members said he would only be a voting figure due to lack of free time and said that he wasn't bothered one way or another, so he was the "odd man out."

I'd imagine there'd be an election if there was a large excess of members really wanting a seat.
    It's the system that seems to work for us, but you can get a lot of interest. If you can hold that interest and turn that into activity within the House though, that would help to really reinvigorate the HoC.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    In the Tory Party they all go down to the Punting Shed and then what happens is, one person gets a biscuit and...
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CyclopsRock)
    In the Tory Party they all go down to the Punting Shed and then what happens is, one person gets a biscuit and...
    Is this a 'what happens in the Punting Shed, stays in the Punting shed' kind of thing that the House doesn't need to hear about?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 22, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.