The Student Room Group

Stuff that annoys you in the gym

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Architecture-er
Well I do it because I'm putting on weight, so the more I eat the more muscular I can get :biggrin:

I suppose if somebody's gym-ing to lose weight, then that's a bit :confused:

Trust me. These two did not need to gain weight. But, TBH, I still don't think you should resort to Mickey D's. What's unhealthy is unhealthy, seems a bit counter productive to me.

Yeah, yeah, I know - everything in moderation; but that's never worked for me. I either eat anything I want, or nothing, even remotely, unhealthy. Ever. But, that's because I just can't do moderation (which is a worry in itself :P).

But, no - these girls were tubby. Real tubby.
Reply 81
Original post by redbuthotter
This would amuse rather than annoy me. It's not like I have to go eat with them.

It was ironic, yes. But, remember, these are the same girls that then go on to whinge and bitch about how they can't lose any weight, despite the fact that they try "so hard".
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
I wonder why this got thumbs-downed.

Cos it makes you sound like a dick lol
Original post by The Troll Toll
Cos it makes you sound like a dick lol

That's completely unintentional, sorry if I've caused any offense. Which part is the problem?
Original post by crocker710
Take your pick ...

Something that really pisses me off is when you see people laughing at others who are overweight but are clearly at the gym to address that.
I saw a massive guy (we're talking 6'5" 110kg ish) go up to some curl bro's who were laughing at an overweight guy in my uni gym and forced them to apologise in front of everyone :awesome:

That guy should be knighted.
Original post by Chumbaniya
That explains a lot. I'm sure I'd be equally grumpy at 6.30 in the morning!

It feels like this could be something of an overreaction. If I was to talk about ego trainers in the gym, it's not people with a bit of wobble in their last couple of squats in a set that I'd worry about - it's the people quarter squatting and rolling forward onto their toes - things like that. You're right that form isn't important in and of itself - unless you're in a competition, if an exercise is safe and it does what you're expecting it to, then that's fine, and stressing about perfect form will set you back in terms of realistic progress. But when it comes to your average commercial gym, you are definitely going to see a lot of people doing bizarre, ineffective and downright dangerous exercises for the sake of believing they can perform a certain lift with a certain weight.

Agree wholeheartedly with that statement.
Original post by crocker710
Take your pick ...

Something that really pisses me off is when you see people laughing at others who are overweight but are clearly at the gym to address that.
I saw a massive guy (we're talking 6'5" 110kg ish) go up to some curl bro's who were laughing at an overweight guy in my uni gym and forced them to apologise in front of everyone :awesome:

I agree 100%. At the end of the day, I have respect for anyone who wants to make a change for themselves and start training and improving their body and health. In my opinion, the gym/training/dieting lifestyle is by far the most fun and rewarding way to live your life. The people that laugh at the overweight/obese people in the gym are a disgrace, I applaud them for having the courage and determination to train and want to make a change for themselves despite the obvious hardships they would face. At the end of the day, its all up to how much you want it yourself. Some people dont care that much and are happy with their bodies and its not a big issue for them, good for them, but for anyone to take the piss out of and ridicule anyone trying their best to lose weight/gain muscle and make a change for themselves, especially if they are finding it hard due to their genetics, make me sick. If you want it, you will get it, and will eventually prove the haters wrong. And that is one of the best feelings a human being can experience.
Reply 87
Original post by Sabertooth
Some stupid woman was sitting on a rowing machine yesterday having a chat with her friend on the other rowing machine. Was there for a good 10 minutes. Pissed me right off as I wanted to use it. :mad: And her friend was doing it on level 2. Wtf is the point?

People who don't understand how the resistance on a rowing machine works.
The guy at my gym who was doing wrist curls in the squat rack - I **** you not.
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
If you deadlift with a rounded back you will damage it. I said nothing about a lift looking pretty. If you squat poorly you could damage your knees, or back if you distribute your weight badly. Form is always important, but thanks for the attack on my 'appearance of lifting'.

If you sqaut poorly then you will mess something up. But if that happens then you're an idiot and you deserve it. I have messed something up squatting badly, I deserved it and learned from it. My squats still ain't perfect though and look pretty horrid (knees cave in, back comes up late etc. etc.) towards the end of a nasty set (think 20rep squats with around 130kg.)

Rounded back deadlifts are less of an issue. Depends on the degree of rounding and the training age/program of the deadlifter. My back rounds a bit on max effort (5 or less reps per set) pulls or towards the end of ballbuster sets (10-15 rest pause reps), but it is strong enough to deal with it because I have trained it to be strong.

The post wasn't a personal attack. It was just pointing out that
Original post by coolmushroom
I agree 100%. At the end of the day, I have respect for anyone who wants to make a change for themselves and start training and improving their body and health. In my opinion, the gym/training/dieting lifestyle is by far the most fun and rewarding way to live your life. The people that laugh at the overweight/obese people in the gym are a disgrace, I applaud them for having the courage and determination to train and want to make a change for themselves despite the obvious hardships they would face. At the end of the day, its all up to how much you want it yourself. Some people dont care that much and are happy with their bodies and its not a big issue for them, good for them, but for anyone to take the piss out of and ridicule anyone trying their best to lose weight/gain muscle and make a change for themselves, especially if they are finding it hard due to their genetics, make me sick. If you want it, you will get it, and will eventually prove the haters wrong. And that is one of the best feelings a human being can experience.

That make me feel like I was in a film; maybe another Rocky remake - inspiring s**t
Original post by Old School
If you sqaut poorly then you will mess something up. But if that happens then you're an idiot and you deserve it. I have messed something up squatting badly, I deserved it and learned from it. My squats still ain't perfect though and look pretty horrid (knees cave in, back comes up late etc. etc.) towards the end of a nasty set (think 20rep squats with around 130kg.)

Rounded back deadlifts are less of an issue. Depends on the degree of rounding and the training age/program of the deadlifter. My back rounds a bit on max effort (5 or less reps per set) pulls or towards the end of ballbuster sets (10-15 rest pause reps), but it is strong enough to deal with it because I have trained it to be strong.

I was calling out the people who perform lifts in joint and back damaging ways simply so they can increase the weight - in this way a good, safe form is in my opinion more important than the weight. To each their own - if you're not hurting yourself then you're all good as far as I'm concerned.

Nice squats by the way!
Reply 92
I also hate how my gym does not have bumper plates to make power cleans easier. I hate how they wouldn't let me bring my own bumper plates in. I hate how they wouldn't invest in bumper plates because "they aren't a powerlifting gym". Bumper plates aren't necessary by any means, but it makes the power clean a helluva lot easier because you don't have a negative to do.

This one isn't really about the gym - but I find it irritating how people who don't lift or anything advising me that I shouldn't go to the gym and get big. They advise me to go to the gym just to "get fit", but don't really explain what they mean by "fit". Fair enough if you don't want to lift but live and let live ffs.
Reply 93
Original post by ruperts
- Strangers asking me to spot them. 1) I'm here to work out, not to help you. 2) you don't even need someone to spot you unless you are an olympic lifter which you are not.

lol
Reply 94
Original post by Old School

Impressive rep number and weight to boot. I salute you, my friend. :smile:
Original post by SimonM
People who don't understand how the resistance on a rowing machine works.

Care to enlighten me?
Original post by Nomes89
I was just going to say I hate guys who try and chat you up in the gym...especially mid workout.

And if we ever met I'd tell you I do not particularly like guys even having a quick glance :tongue:

Depends what the work-out is tbh.

My gym has a sauna/steam-room/jacuzzi and a pool so, not to difficult to start a conversation. Hmm, every girl I know has admitted they do like a sneaky glance, not a full-on stare.
Original post by Sabertooth
Care to enlighten me?

Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo

Yeah, I've seen other people do that too but I don't see how that's relevant to how the resistance works? :confused:
When your perving at the talent and you make a dick of yourself.

I try to perve discreetly however the other day, I was so engrossed at staring at the blokes backside directly in front of me, I missed my step and fell off the treadmill. I played it cool and got back on, but it hurt so much. I'm currently nursing a bruised side, but was it worth it, hell yes.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest