The Student Room Group

Stuff that annoys you in the gym

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Narcissist
Really don't get this.

Saying someone slim shouldn't be doing cardio unless it's for sport is like saying someone musulcar shouldn't be lifting weights unless it's for sport.

No
lol who cares if someone doesn't wipe sweat off machines. i'd wipe it if i bled on it or something. or other fluids.
People with really loud music!

This has just been recently though.. I broke my headphones. Maybe my music was too loud.
Reply 143
When people tell me my routine is bull**** and i will be stuck on light weights forever when i'm adding 2.5kg every session... Some people just can't do maths

People saying I should vary my training when what i'm doing is working.

When people walk right next to the bar whilst you're power cleaning

When people tell me i should be benching 80kg and they proceed to bench 100kg with a quarter range of motion.

Things that amuse me:
The face people make when i'm about to start squatting, people asking "are you using those (20kg plates)" (i'm quite skinny) and i say yes, yes i am
The look when i squat and i have 2 20s on each side (i know it's not much but to the average gym-goer it is)
Reply 144
Original post by rosiemaphone

But the main thing that annoys me is when people bitch about other people not exercising "properly." as in, not running fast enough, walking on the treadmill, spending the whole time on the bike, etc... okay it might not be good enough for your standards but at least they're doing something and if they're doing it wrong it's only them who won't reap the benefits.

In short, it annoys me when people don't mind their own.

Of course, if someone's not using equipment properly and you tell them how to use it properly, that's a different matter.

Agree with this. I do an uphill walk on the treadmill and burn about 300 calories in 25 minutes, but I get the "why isn't she running" looks/ comments. Tbh it's no one's business but my own what I do in the gym, I pay my membership and what makes other people think they can comment on what exercise someone else should be doing/ is capable of? I'm actually losing rather a lot of weight thankyouverymuch :P

Someone who doesn't look to be 'pushing themselves' might have good reason anyway, they might have a dodgy knee, or a heart condition that means they can't strain too much. It doesn't matter, they've still got just as much right as any other paying member to use that equipment how they see fit. Wish people would mind their own business.
Reply 145
Original post by Narcissist
I don't mind people taking it easy, but when there are no spare machines and somebody is reading a book while doing their workout it does wind me up.

Why? Your workout doesn't take priority over somebody else's just because it's more intense. They're paying to be there as well.
Reply 146
I hate women who purposly go to the gym to pull a guy.
Reply 147
Original post by jennifex
Agree with this. I do an uphill walk on the treadmill and burn about 300 calories in 25 minutes, but I get the "why isn't she running" looks/ comments. Tbh it's no one's business but my own what I do in the gym, I pay my membership and what makes other people think they can comment on what exercise someone else should be doing/ is capable of? I'm actually losing rather a lot of weight thankyouverymuch :P

Someone who doesn't look to be 'pushing themselves' might have good reason anyway, they might have a dodgy knee, or a heart condition that means they can't strain too much. It doesn't matter, they've still got just as much right as any other paying member to use that equipment how they see fit. Wish people would mind their own business.

But people can't help but be competitive.
Reply 148
Freshies in the gym who stink of BO and curry.
Reply 149
Original post by Dark Horse
But people can't help but be competitive.

What's being competitive got to do with it? Of course you can help staring or making comments to people you don't even know about how they should be spending their time in the gym. It's more to do with a haughty/ holier-than-thou/ know-it-all attitude than competitiveness really.
Reply 150
What's being competitive got to do with it? Of course you can help staring or making comments to people you don't even know about how they should be spending their time in the gym. It's more to do with a haughty/ holier-than-thou/ know-it-all attitude than competitiveness really.

You mad?
Original post by u4m1r
Freshies in the gym who stink of BO and curry.

lmfao, I once saw an asian guy in a vest doing some kind of pulldown or pullup type exercise. I swear you could have put his armpit hair in a ponytail
Reply 152
Tell me about it. Went today in the morning. Some group of black guys were hogging the bench for ****ing ages. I had just finished squatting and was moving on to the bench. I asked if I could work in, they're like no, we came as a group. We don't need more people. ****ing pricks. So I had to wait like 20 mins before they finally fiinshed and moved on to the incline bench using the squat rack. Pricks. Then I benched 3x5 92.5. Some polish guy said he had been at asda gym for years and these guys had always been in on a monday morning hogging the bench. I complained to the manager about it. When I had finished benching one of the black guys in the group said bet you're happy now. I said **** yeah. Pricks.Not to mention the stupid ****s who were walking the weight out the wrong way from the squat rack, looking in the mirror and doing half squats.
Only real pet hate is people not packing weights away. One time I'm tempted to DL max at a busy time then just walk away out of the gym.
Original post by GodAtum
I hate women who purposly go to the gym to pull a guy.

If she is fit and willing to suck my dick, why would I not like that>?

:rolleyes:

VIRGIN SPOTTED!
Reply 155
1. People who use the squat rack for things such curls or military press, when they can't lift more than ~45kg, because they have smaller 'fixed' bars for that.
2. People who put 200kg on a bar and then do quarter squats
3. People who use a station/machine/bench and then walk off for 10 minutes and expect nobody to touch it
4. People who try to correct you when they don't know what they're talking about
5. The people who grunt real loud when they lift and then look around to see if anybody was watching
Original post by desijut

When people walk right next to the bar whilst you're power cleaning

ffffffuuuuuuu.. This.

People aimlessly wandering around the olly platform in general grinds my gears.
Reply 157
Original post by Arteta
1. People who use the squat rack for things such curls or military press, when they can't lift more than ~45kg, because they have smaller 'fixed' bars for that.
2. People who put 200kg on a bar and then do quarter squats
3. People who use a station/machine/bench and then walk off for 10 minutes and expect nobody to touch it
4. People who try to correct you when they don't know what they're talking about
5. The people who grunt real loud when they lift and then look around to see if anybody was watching

Absolutely nothing wrong with pressing in the rack.
Original post by Mdawg
Absolutely nothing wrong with pressing in the rack.

I think he meant pressing in the rack with a light weight, as you could easily just get one of the smaller 'premade' barbells. If you're pressing some heavy ass **** then it's different obviously.

Only comment I've got on this is that you really can't trust the calorie counters on gym machines. They are usually highly inaccurate: if you don't feel like you're pushing yourself then you're not going to be burning 300 calories just from walking.

Quick Reply

Latest